ADVERTISEMENT

The concept of a black national anthem sure is divisive....

This seems to me to be a logical step in a familiar pattern...understandable disagreement and protest goes a bridge too far. It happens all the time. Peaceful protest turn into Chaos; simple discourse turns into an ugly fight; the main stream gets challenged by extremists. We just need to let this whole thing work it's way through our collective system.

Reactions: Schoonerman
We practiced separatism for years with black colleges, black churches/Indian churches, black television stations, awards reserved for minorities only, etc.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
We collective sports fans have created this monster whether we like it or not. Sports stars have leverage, especially pro stars. Without out them there is no game. Now, it's easy to say, so be it, but sports are ingrained in our culture. Hopefully we come out the other side whole.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
We collective sports fans have created this monster whether we like it or not. Sports stars have leverage, especially pro stars. Without out them there is no game. Now, it's easy to say, so be it, but sports are ingrained in our culture. Hopefully we come out the other side whole.

Yes we have. And we can also starve the monster to death, though it's highly unlikely that will ever happen. One thing I've learned over the past few months is that, as far as sports go, I can leave it as easily as I can take it. I'm down to only one team sport that I'll continue to watch, but that might change after the season kicks off - if it kicks off. Other than college football, I'll only be watching individual sports from here on out.

So thanks for liberating me, SJWs.

Yes we have. And we can also starve the monster to death, though it's highly unlikely that will ever happen. One thing I've learned over the past few months is that, as far as sports go, I can leave it as easily as I can take it. I'm down to only one team sport that I'll continue to watch, but that might change after the season kicks off - if it kicks off. Other than college football, I'll only be watching individual sports from here on out.

Placing an excessive importance on sports is but one monster plaguing us.
The other monster is the divisiveness that has ripped us apart every way possible....by race, gender, region and political affiliation. The media and our elected officials stir this pot of division daily. And we help perpetuate this.

I totally agree. I’ve spent far to much of my life paying attention to pro sports teams. I’m narrowing it down to just a small amount of time dedicated to OU football and that’s it. I’m not willing to waste anymore time participating in the whole pro sports circus. Let the ball players take their knee, wear their slogans, and chant their grievances. I’m done with the whole freaking thing.

[QUOTE="veritas59, post: 3183357, member: 2410" Other than college football, I'll only be watching individual sports from here on out.

So thanks for liberating me, SJWs.[/QUOTE]

I had it with pro team sports twenty plus years ago. I've not missed it in the least. Just too much "look at me" crap.

[QUOTE="veritas59, post: 3183357, member: 2410" Other than college football, I'll only be watching individual sports from here on out.

I had it with pro team sports twenty plus years ago. I've not missed it in the least. Just too much "look at me" crap.[/QUOTE]
The "look at me" crap has always turned me off, even as a young person.
Personally, I saw Mohammad Ali's...then Cassius Clay....antics in the 1960's as the beginning of the decline of sportsmanship and respecting opponents. Ali made it trendy to trash talk and taunt.

I had it with pro team sports twenty plus years ago. I've not missed it in the least. Just too much "look at me" crap.
The "look at me" crap has always turned me off, even as a young person.
Personally, I saw Mohammad Ali's...then Cassius Clay....antics in the 1960's as the beginning of the decline of sportsmanship and respecting opponents. Ali made it trendy to trash talk and taunt.[/QUOTE]

I can tolerate an OU player busting an assignment occasionally more so than one that draws attention to himself after the play.

I can tolerate an OU player busting an assignment occasionally more so than one that draws attention to himself after the play.[/QUOTE]
I have never understood why....at least in college football....coaches can't control excessive celebrations or taunting, in addition to playing smarter.
Once players reach the NFL, I don't care what they do. The "lords" running the NFL like this crap as do the fans.
One reason I liked Earl Campbell was what he did after scoring, which was nothing. He is my favorite running back, even though Switzer failed to sway Earl's momma for Earl to come to OU.

Last edited:
Are all groups going to get their own National Anthem? Latino, Indian, gay, bisexual and so on! Gosh time we’re done, it’s going to take an hour of national anthems before football games!

I can tolerate an OU player busting an assignment occasionally more so than one that draws attention to himself after the play.
I have never understood why....at least in college football....coaches can't control excessive celebrations or taunting, in addition to playing smarter.
Once players reach the NFL, I don't care what they do. The "lords" running the NFL like this crap as do the fans.
One reason I liked Earl Campbell was what he did after scoring, which was nothing. He is my favorite running back, even though Switzer failed to sway Earl's momma for Earl to come to OU.[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to appreciate Quinten Griffin even more now

OMG!! some of the out right ignorance on this thread is astounding
Why are there black colleges and churches? Because people don't want to be fully integrated
Why don't you try reading a book okie. or do I need to educate you on why black colleges were started? Also , if you are not aware, white students also can attend those same black colleges.

OMG!! some of the out right ignorance on this thread is astounding

Why don't you try reading a book okie. or do I need to educate you on why black colleges were started? Also , if you are not aware, white students also can attend those same black colleges.

Maybe they should stop calling themselves HBCU's so whites and others will feel more welcome to attend.

Are all groups going to get their own National Anthem? Latino, Indian, gay, bisexual and so on! Gosh time we’re done, it’s going to take an hour of national anthems before football games!
Yes. All religious and ethnic minorities who think they've been aggrieved, as well as all 468 genders. Pre-game will be starting at 5:00 AM with kickoff around 3:30 PM. (don't doubt me on this, people)

Since 1918 it has been played at sporting events. Very few people have lived long enough to back to that era. Why piss and moan about changing a 102 year sporting event “event”. Oh that’s because this country is run by the liberal agenda to change everything just because...tired of this crap.

Reactions: iasooner1
Since 1918 it has been played at sporting events. Very few people have lived long enough to back to that era. Why piss and moan about changing a 102 year sporting event “event”. Oh that’s because this country is run by the liberal agenda to change everything just because...tired of this crap.
No one is "pissing and moaning" over it being necessary....or preferring America the Beautiful. It is not a liberal or conservative issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
How are we supposed to “come together” when +\~ 15% of the population wants to practice separatism?

I totally agree. I think it's very divisive and it's exactly what they want to do, divide us. It's aquite a shame actually. This country has been through so much and has more pain in front of it. Anything that by design is to divide us should be banned at all events, functions, etc.

I'm one that truly believes that the National Anthem should not be played except during war time. And only then because it does unite. I specifically remember being in attendence at Kyle Field when the Sooners played there in 2005. They had a beautiful tribute and when that song came on, I broke down crying as my son was in Iraq fighting daily to stay alive. My two buddies, Sooner & Aggie, both understood. It was a was very touching moment for us all. Fast forward to last year, it just didn't touch me. It was different. Not even close to the same. I looked around and so was everyone else. We were all looking around to see who was kneeling and who wasn't.

But that's just me. Everyone has their own view point on the subject but I do think having a seperate anthem for a specific race is so divisive and also very racist.

So , I suppose all feel that we should stop playing O' Canada at Hockey matches? Who cares. The anthem will be played.

So , I suppose all feel that we should stop playing O' Canada at Hockey matches? Who cares. The anthem will be played.

I'd be down with that too. But if they can't stop, perhaps they also have a Black Anthem that can be played along with it.

So are we going to have a National Anthem and a Black Anthem like there's a Miss America and a Black Miss America? Apparently so. What do you bet there's more to come.

The only times I "throw a shit fit" is when someone herein makes what I believe is an outrageous statement. I get more than my share of "shit fits" hurled my way on this board. I mean Scottsdale alone is a world class feces spreader. And my reference to "chief" was facitious.

The only times I "throw a shit fit" is when someone herein makes what I believe is an outrageous statement. I get more than my share of "shit fits" hurled my way on this board. I mean Scottsdale alone is a world class feces spreader. And my reference to "chief" was facitious.

You must feel like a young black kid in Chicago. The world is hearing about how bad systemic racism is and you're dodging drive by bullets.

Dude - My bad on this. I didn't intend to insinuate that you personally threw shitfits regularly. Just meant that lots of folks would have reacted explosively to the comments. I appreciated your take.

ADVERTISEMENT