ADVERTISEMENT

The bowl season

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
I can’t complain about the 40-plus bowls after watching so many great games these past two weeks. A few stinkers for sure and some that could be regarded as “participation trophies” but overall some great games.
And one more to go.

I can’t complain about the 40-plus bowls after watching so many great games these past two weeks. A few stinkers for sure and some that could be regarded as “participation trophies” but overall some great games.
And one more to go.

5 more.

Reactions: iasooner2000
And one more to go.
Way to many “thanks for your participation” bowls these days IMO. When the 12 team playoff system begins in 2024 those Bowls become more meaningless.

Unfortunately though those bowls bring money to conferences so thay are here to stay.

Way to many “thanks for your participation” bowls these days IMO. When the 12 team playoff system begins in 2024 those Bowls become more meaningless.

Unfortunately though those bowls bring money to conferences so thay are here to stay.
You answered your own question.... it's all about money.
Bowl games played without a championship at stake for me, are not meaningless.
Historically, using OU as an example, some of OU's greatest bowl games were played without a national championship on the line. I count at least 15 such games.
And from a player's and coaches' perspective, bowl games are a reward for hard work and two weeks of valuable practice, aside from the chance to add one more win for that season.
No doubt some bowls feature teams that are not that good, as was the case with Rice (with its 5-win season) last month. That was a head-scratcher to me.
But as a long time college football fan, I see many of these "meaningless" games as some of the most entertaining football I've seen all season.... as was the case in the OU-FSU game last week. No OU fan should consider that game "meaningless".
There are four more games today that could be worth watching.
And how many of us won't tune in to the USC-Tulane game?

You answered your own question.... it's all about money.
Bowl games played without a championship at stake for me, are not meaningless.
Historically, using OU as an example, some of OU's greatest bowl games were played without a national championship on the line. I count at least 15 such games.
And from a player's and coaches' perspective, bowl games are a reward for hard work and two weeks of valuable practice, aside from the chance to add one more win for that season.
No doubt some bowls feature teams that are not that good, as was the case with Rice (with its 5-win season) last month. That was a head-scratcher to me.
But as a long time college football fan, I see many of these "meaningless" games as some of the most entertaining football I've seen all season.... as was the case in the OU-FSU game last week. No OU fan should consider that game "meaningless".
There are four more games today that could be worth watching.
And how many of us won't tune in to the USC-Tulane game?
I have been around a very long time myself and yes at one time Bowls meant something. You had to actually earn your way to one in the 60s, 70s, 80s. Today you finish 6-6 and you qualify for a Bowl. You think thats deserving? I sure dont and its only because there are way to many bowl games that are contractually tied to the P5 that enable this.

Have there been great OU bowl games- of course there have been but that isnt going to change my thought process on “ meaningless bowl games”. As a lifelong OU fan now for 56 of my 63 years of life I dont believe 6-6 earns any team a right to a bowl game. It only happens because of the expanded number of bowls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oklabama
I have been around a very long time myself and yes at one time Bowls meant something. You had to actually earn your way to one in the 60s, 70s, 80s. Today you finish 6-6 and you qualify for a Bowl. You think thats deserving? I sure dont and its only because there are way to many bowl games that are contractually tied to the P5 that enable this.

Have there been great OU bowl games- of course there have been but that isnt going to change my thought process on “ meaningless bowl games”. As a lifelong OU fan now for 56 of my 63 years of life I dont believe 6-6 earns any team a right to a bowl game. It only happens because of the expanded number of bowls.
How about that Muleshoe and grinch SC fans😂

Agree that the expanded bowl system with its money-grab philosophy doesn't reward better regular season records, but an expanded 12-team playoff system makes the regular season less important.
A 4 or 6 game playoff would make teams with no more than a single loss qualify for the CFP. There would still be some debate sometimes as to who qualifies, but that's good for fan interest.
I would also like to see teams in bowl games with at least 7 wins and make it so if they lose a bowl game their record would still be above .500....but that's like wishing for world peace.
This win by Tulane over Poach Riley, with both teams having 11-2 records, should make us both happy, 59.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Agree that the expanded bowl system with its money-grab philosophy doesn't reward better regular season records, but an expanded 12-team playoff system makes the regular season less important.
A 4 or 6 game playoff would make teams with no more than a single loss qualify for the CFP. There would still be some debate sometimes as to who qualifies, but that's good for fan interest.
I would also like to see teams in bowl games with at least 7 wins and make it so if they lose a bowl game their record would still be above .500....but that's like wishing for world peace.
This win by Tulane over Poach Riley, with both teams having 11-2 records, should make us both happy, 59.
7 games would be much better. That would require teams to win 60% of their regular season schedule. Anything less than 60% is simply subpar, IMO.

World Peace made me laugh. Think North Koreas leader even knows what that word means? I do agree on the 7 win system and the 12 team playoff could very well make the regular season less important but I have to admit I like it but may change my mind in a few years.

USC losing made my day. Screw Riley , Grinch, MW and CW.

World Peace made me laugh. Think North Koreas leader even knows what that word means? I do agree on the 7 win system and the 12 team playoff could very well make the regular season less important but I have to admit I like it but may change my mind in a few years.

USC losing made my day. Screw Riley , Grinch, MW and CW.
Well stated, 59.....and Tulane's win might be the most enjoyment I have had outside of OU's games.

The hardest one for me was when Iowa played texsa in a bowl game some years back (I held my nose & laughed hard when the steers won)
The only time I pulled for the Hawkeyes was when we needed them to upset Tosu in ‘08 or so (and they obliged)

Last edited:
I would be greatly surprised if Riley was actually interviewing for the Bronco job. Then again who knows what he will do. I would bet he gets ran out of LA though if he takes the job and if he is intereviewing some fans may just be at his house packing his bags for him now.

I would be greatly surprised if Riley was actually interviewing for the Bronco job. Then again who knows what he will do. I would bet he gets ran out of LA though if he takes the job and if he is intereviewing some fans may just be at his house packing his bags for him now.
I doubt any NFL team will let him bring Grinch along with him.

ADVERTISEMENT