ADVERTISEMENT

Texas pass defense ranked 124th in the country

Sep 7, 2009
With Texas' secondary beat up, Austin Kendall did not have a good game yesterday with the 4 int.....3 of those were poor decisions. His final numbers looked really good, without the picks, but he looked like a deer in the headlights for a lot of the game. Still managed to throw for 367 yards. W. Virginia has a very average offense. Texas is ranked 104 in the nation in total defense. Oklahoma has the nation's best offense statistically, and a top 15 ranking on third down conversions. Texas is loaded with guys who pass the eye test (probably the best looking defense in the Big 12), tall athletic secondary guys, big physical LB's, a monster at NG, very good defensive down lineman, and it's hard to understand why they give up tons of yardage.
OU's weak link right now as a concern, is the offensive line, but I still have to believe they are better than any OL's Texas has faced, with the exception of LSU. I see OU scoring 40-45 on Texas next week. They will take a lot of risk and blitz a lot. They will get burned a few times. I see that is the only way they can stay in the game if they can keep OU behind the chains.

Yes, it's hard to believe W.Virginia outgained Texas by about 40 yards yesterday. What is a concern is Texas ability to convert 3rd downs. They are something like 4th in the country getting 3rd down conversions. If we can hold them to around 40%, we will be in good shape. Seems like when they need 3, they get 4. If they need 8, they get nine, and so on. If they convert 60-70% on third downs, it will be a problem and keep OU's offense off the field.

Reactions: iasooner1
Feel like Riley has kept a lot of the offense vanilla through 5 games because we just haven't needed it. Think he'll give Texas some looks we haven't shown so far.

Defensively, I expect us to give up some plays in the passing game. They have a deep and talented receiving group. But I think this Sooner defense is going to make their share of plays as well and get off the field. We still need to generate more turnovers and it's time to eliminate the penalities. If we can do that I see Oklahoma pulling away later in the game.

We need to work hard to keep their qb in the pocket. That guy is hard to tackle and he has a knack for making plays with his legs. I don't care what Texas' defense is ranked or what our offense is ranked. Its going to be a dog fight. I see a game in the 30's.

Both OT’s and Brooks were held out versus Kansas.....the impact on the Oline was obvious....

If AK could have kept his Interceptions down to just two WVU probably would have beat Texas.... Texas used trick plays against WVU, I am sure they didn’t want to expose their trick plays, but felt they had to..

Both OT’s and Brooks were held out versus Kansas.....the impact on the Oline was obvious....

If AK could have kept his Interceptions down to just two WVU probably would have beat Texas.... Texas used trick plays against WVU, I am sure they didn’t want to expose their trick plays, but felt they had to..

Deano just said tonight that he doesn't believe either OT will be back for Texas. #52 needs to step up his game

If OU drops this game, it'll be due to the play of the O-Line woes. Not defense this year.

OU might go with short passes, quick look-in passes to allow Hurts to unload quickly given the uncertainty of the offensive line. His mobility will also be tested.
OU need its running game to be effective as well.
Again, this game for OU rides on both its DL and OL.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Yes, it's hard to believe W.Virginia outgained Texas by about 40 yards yesterday. What is a concern is Texas ability to convert 3rd downs. They are something like 4th in the country getting 3rd down conversions. If we can hold them to around 40%, we will be in good shape. Seems like when they need 3, they get 4. If they need 8, they get nine, and so on. If they convert 60-70% on third downs, it will be a problem and keep OU's offense off the field.

Bad as I hate to give him credit, this is 99% Ehlinger. A defense can play straight up and stop most 3rd and long plays, except for the QB scramble.
Either you key on (shadow) the QB and remove a defender from coverage or you send the extra guy in coverage and Ehlinger makes you pay with his running ability.
Curious to see what our Defense does Saturday to try to counter this.

Ealy is supposed to be back for Texas. Running against Texas is going to be tough, so I expect OU to throw a lot. To beat Texas, you have to throw down the field. No idea why we couldn't get any pressure on the Kansas QB, but to be successful, OU is going to have to get in Ehlinger's face all game.

OU might go with short passes, quick look-in passes to allow Hurts to unload quickly given the uncertainty of the offensive line. His mobility will also be tested.
OU need its running game to be effective as well.
Again, this game for OU rides on both its DL and OL.
I’m hoping we see Stevenson early and often

I'm hoping Bedenbaugh saw a starting group of 5 with which he's comfortable.
Has anyone gone through the Kansas film and put together a full list of OL combos? All of the news keeps talking about Proctor and Robinson as the tackle replacements, but weren't they the starting guards before? Who then is filling in the guard spots? Walker, Thompson?

Riley is pretty sharp. I suspect that he'll do what he has done since being the OC and that is to design plays that his players can handle vs having players adopt a scheme that thery can't do. He's stated as much too. Basically refusing to give details but he said he has some new wrinkles.

Just a wild & crazy hunch. But perhaps since they were playing Kansas last week he decided to give his tackles some needed rest to get healthy. All the while knowing they'd be needed for the bigger game against the Horns.

Naw... he wouldn't do that. Would he?

The more I look at these two teams the more I think Texas has become a better and more tested team.
OU's patchwork offensive line and the fact that Texas has had 7 tackles for losses so far against much better competition concerns me.
And OU has gotten away with some mistakes so far that a team like Texas won't allow them to get away with.
Unless Riley can get his team's "A" game up and running, his team's flaws could get very exposed.
I think it will take a different OU team from what I've seen so far to beat Texas. The 11 point spread seems excessive.
I can seen either a sloppy high scoring and close OU win.....or a decisive Texas win.

The more I look at these two teams the more I think Texas has become a better and more tested team.
OU's patchwork offensive line and the fact that Texas has had 7 tackles for losses so far against much better competition concerns me.
And OU has gotten away with some mistakes so far that a team like Texas won't allow them to get away with.
Unless Riley can get his team's "A" game up and running, his team's flaws could get very exposed.
I think it will take a different OU team from what I've seen so far to beat Texas. The 11 point spread seems excessive.
I can seen either a sloppy high scoring and close OU win.....or a decisive Texas win.

Texas has been more tested but defensively they have shown they are not a very good pass coverage team. If the OL can give Hurts time I really think he can pick them apart. Unlike West Va and LSU Hurts can also hurt ( no pun intended) them with his legs. I don’t see Texas holding OU under 30 and if the D holds up for our Sooners I don’t think they will be able to keep pace.

i really believe LR will have this team more than ready to play Saturday and it’s why I think OU wins by at least 2 scores. If OU loses I will chalk it up as a bad dream.

Texas has been more tested but defensively they have shown they are not a very good pass coverage team. If the OL can give Hurts time I really think he can pick them apart. Unlike West Va and LSU Hurts can also hurt ( no pun intended) them with his legs. I don’t see Texas holding OU under 30 and if the D holds up for our Sooners I don’t think they will be able to keep pace.

i really believe LR will have this team more than ready to play Saturday and it’s why I think OU wins by at least 2 scores. If OU loses I will chalk it up as a bad dream.

OU better show up more than they have the last few years. If we lose its going to ruin the rest of my football watching saturday.

In an OU win scenario, I agree with you. What Hurts will accomplish depends on the offensive line, plain and simple.

OU better show up more than they have the last few years. If we lose its going to ruin the rest of my football watching saturday.

No doubt this is the best Texas team in the last few years but if OU loses it won’t change my CFB viewing habits. OU has been able to get in the playoffs in the past with a loss and could do so again this season if the right dominos fall.

I believe OU wins Saturday though and honestly a flub up against the rest of the schedule would hurt OU worse than losing to Texas if OU was to get its revenge in the B12CG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT