ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Longwhorns in the 2022 NFL Draft

Texas had one player listed in the top 262 top rated prospects for the 2022 draft and he came in at number 256.
The Big 12 was not well represented in this recent draft, but in the case of OU and Texas, entry into the SEC will be a huge jumpstart in recruiting.
As Tramel mentions in yesterday's column, over the past 5 years, the SEC has produced 57 first round picks, an average of 4 per team...the Big 12 has 9, an average of 0.9 per team. Elite recruits gravitate to where they can be better prepared to get a career of NFL money and prestige, and the Big 12 is not a good option for them in terms of being drafted in the first and second rounds.
I feel OU's move to the SEC is the best and only option OU has in reaching a championship level, outside of the huge money-grab.
Venables represents, in my opinion, the best man to steer OU into being a monster team again and playing great football on BOTH sides of the ball. Everything is in place for Venables' success and I see his claim to having players understand what it means to play at OU and to continue OU's legacy as a much needed breath of fresh air.
As I watched Mayfield being honored recently and reading of Murray's $29 million extension, I thought how sad it was that OU was unable to win any national championships with these guys....all because of OU's failure to field strong defensive teams.
OU's history in my lifetime, as I see it, has been marked by three hard-learned lessons:
* In 1966 and 1968, OU was trampled by two Notre Dame teams that were physically superior in both size and speed to those Sooner teams. I believe that changed OU's recruiting template forever in adding size as well as speed....and the 1970's reflected that change.
* A three year losing streak to the great Miami teams by three of OU's best-ever teams (1985, 1986, 1987) revealed that the wishbone was a dinosaur offense against teams with NFL caliber defenses. In each of those three losses, I felt that OU was the lesser team. Had Switzer coached longer at OU, I feel he would have changed OU's offense to being more balanced.
* Now, with all that's happened in the past year, OU has taken huge steps in hiring a coach who is totally in on what it takes to win championships who will prepare OU into playing within the best conference in the nation. OU's exit from the diminished Big 12 and Riley's exit, for any reason, had to happen for a better future for the OU program.

Last edited:
Texas had one player listed in the top 262 top rated prospects for the 2022 draft and he came in at number 256.
The Big 12 was not well represented in this recent draft, but in the case of OU and Texas, entry into the SEC will be a huge jumpstart in recruiting.
As Tramel mentions in yesterday's column, over the past 5 years, the SEC has produced 57 first round picks, an average of 4 per team...the Big 12 has 9, an average of 0.9 per team. Elite recruits gravitate to where they can be better prepared to get a career of NFL money and prestige, and the Big 12 is not a good option for them in terms of being drafted in the first and second rounds.
I feel OU's move to the SEC is the best and only option OU has in reaching a championship level, outside of the huge money-grab.
Venables represents, in my opinion, the best man to steer OU into being a monster team again and playing great football on BOTH sides of the ball. Everything is in place for Venables' success and I see his claim to having players understand what it means to play at OU and to continue OU's legacy as a much needed breath of fresh air.
As I watched Mayfield being honored recently and reading of Murray's $29 million extension, I thought how sad it was that OU was unable to win any national championships with these guys....all because of OU's failure to field strong defensive teams.
OU's history in my lifetime, as I see it, has been marked by three hard-learned lessons:
* In 1966 and 1968, OU was trampled by two Notre Dame teams that were physically superior in both size and speed to those Sooner teams. I believe that changed OU's recruiting template forever in adding size as well as speed....and the 1970's reflected that change.
* A three year losing streak to the great Miami teams by three of OU's best-ever teams (1985, 1986, 1987) revealed that the wishbone was a dinosaur offense against teams with NFL caliber defenses. In each of those three losses, I felt that OU was the lesser team. Had Switzer coached longer at OU, I feel he would have changed OU's offense to being more balanced.
* Now, with all that's happened in the past year, OU has taken huge steps in hiring a coach who is totally in on what it takes to win championships who will prepare OU into playing within the best conference in the nation. OU's exit from the diminished Big 12 and Riley's exit, for any reason, had to happen for a better future for the OU program.
I agree with all that you have pointed out about Brent and moving OU on an upward trajectory. I am very excited about the football program. It is hard to lay down a measuring stick of success at this point but I expect we will see serious attitude improvements. We might suffer a disappointing loss this year but if we put up any kind of fight I will be satisfied. I expect victories not defeats will headline this team.

Amen brother. 👍

ADVERTISEMENT