ADVERTISEMENT

Texas gets commitment from 5-star QB Maalik Murphy...

Not like we haven't beaten previous five star Texas quarterbacks to the tune of 63-14 and 65-15.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Chris Simms never played to his 5-star rating and Vince Young was a redshirt freshman in 2003 who entered the OU game to replace Chance Mock in the 2003 loss to OU. Young did pull a one-man show in 2005, guiding Texas to a championship and being runner up to the Heisman Award.
But all that aside, Murphy's commitment to Texas doesn't concern me. WP76 made a good point.

They now have half as many 5 -star quarterbacks as we do...

IF they actually end up signing this kid.

Yeah. He's a long way off from actually throwing a pass in burnt orange vs. us in the Cotton Bowl.

Just like the five-star kid we just signed though I guess.

Not much of a 5 Star. He played 5 games had 300 total yards, zero TD and 2 int.

Not sure what qualifies anymore.
Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Georgia, USC, Miami, Texas A&M, Auburn, Michigan and Baylor were chasing him.
But whatever teams were chasing him and whatever his rating was (4-star on Rivals), his success in CFB is not guaranteed by any means. I'll be interested to see what Sarkisian does with him.
I also will be interested to see how Casey Thompson does as UT's starter over the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: 8085sooner
Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Georgia, USC, Miami, Texas A&M, Auburn, Michigan and Baylor were chasing him.
But whatever teams were chasing him and whatever his rating was (4-star on Rivals), his success in CFB is not guaranteed by any means. I'll be interested to see what Sarkisian does with him.
I also will be interested to see how Casey Thompson does as UT's starter over the next 2-3 years.
I don't think Ohio State is chasing him as they already have Ewers' commitment. But neither Ewers or Murphy are sure things this early in the 2022 cycle

Reactions: BlackUnicorn
I wouldn’t be surprised to see him not starting

A coach in Duncanville told me Jackson left the program because all signs pointed to Card being the QB in ‘21 and immediate future

Of course that was a different staff

i expect tu to be competitive with us again this year and really in our face next year if sark's recruiting continues at it's current pace. as much as i LOVE ou-tu blow-outs the best wins are the ones where we are both highly rated and the red river showdown is the top game of the day/week/month/year. (2001 & 2002 for example) obviously the risk of tu improvement is the greater chance of losing an evenly-matched game instead of dropping a head-scratching upset to an inferior texass team (ou has been favored in 17 of the last 20 games...just think about that whorns). but wouldnt you honestly rather beat em when their fanbase is so overly confident their traditional arrogance becomes insufferable? i sure do!

Probably doesn’t matter who quarterbacks Texas when they play Oklahoma because the game will usually be decided in the fourth quarter. It seems that if Jake Sills quarterback the Longhorns, OU would still have all it could happen.

Probably doesn’t matter who quarterbacks Texas when they play Oklahoma because the game will usually be decided in the fourth quarter. It seems that if Jake Sills quarterback the Longhorns, OU would still have all it could happen.
yep all the wins been close ever since Landry Jones left

The usual 5 star underachiever. The way Thompson came in and played I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the starter. How the son of an OU great can go to their rival school I'll never understand. Poor kid

The usual 5 star underachiever. The way Thompson came in and played I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the starter. How the son of an OU great can go to their rival school I'll never understand. Poor kid
might have something to do with how Ct's OU career ended and the decades-long backlash from sooner fans. jus guessin

might have something to do with how Ct's OU career ended and the decades-long backlash from sooner fans. jus guessin
Very possibly.
So much went wrong at that time in 1989 and OU's reputation went down the toilet nationwide that any reminder of those dark days may have played a part in Casey Thompson being off the OU radar. If true, I think OU made a good decision.

maybe so....but isn't CT on good terms with the program now?
Don't know.....but I believe more accurate reasons may have been Hurts' arrival from Alabama in January 2019 and Rattler's commitment of June 2017.
As good as Thompson is, I think OU has done well in reloading the QB position since 2015.

We offered Thompson and Rising that year. Rising 1st committed and Thompson offered was pulled. He then committed to TexASS about a month or so later and Herman had a deep relationship with Rising and got him to switch. Leaving us without a QB

Reactions: OUnabomber
ADVERTISEMENT