ADVERTISEMENT

Terry and Barnes gone

I think they just want to have a chance to start. Terry will be a solid player at Tulsa. Maybe Barnes wanted to go someplace besides his dad's alma mater, like Kyler, and now gets his chance to be truly recruited.

Reactions: iasooner1
I'd rather have Barnes on the field than Fields but I don't feel grinch ever gave Barnes a fair shake. By all accounts Fields is a great kid but he lacks athleticism and playmaking ability. But Barnes is off to Colorado.... Hopefully Harrington, McCutchin, and Harmon come in ready to play ....

Reactions: iasooner1
I'd rather have Barnes on the field than Fields but I don't feel grinch ever gave Barnes a fair shake. By all accounts Fields is a great kid but he lacks athleticism and playmaking ability. But Barnes is off to Colorado.... Hopefully Harrington, McCutchin, and Harmon come in ready to play ....
Barnes is too slow to give many snaps too

They eventually catch him on an island

He’s going to CU to play linebacker - Chris Wilson is their DL coach

Did anyone stop to think that the portal was suggested to them? Processing players out is now part of the CFB. An athletic scholarship is not guaranteed any longer. These days it's basically it's an annual scholarship that is only renwed when one pulls their weight and buys into the program. I'm not saying this occurred, but I'm not saying it didn't either. Food for thought anyway.

Reactions: SoonerChris2K3
Yes, but so what ?
Players enter or leave all the time because of a player's own decision or a coach's recommendation or decision.

Yes, but so what ?
Players enter or leave all the time because of a player's own decision or a coach's recommendation or decision.

"But so what?" Speaking of what.... what's with that chip (boulder) on the shoulder? Your content is good and solid, but I've noticed that you're overly aggressive towards others at times.

But to answer your question... I think it's relatively new for OU to 'process' players out of the program. Hence a very, very small recruiting class this year. Have we had one this small by design in the past 20 years? No. As such, I was just pointing out that it's my belief that some players are leaving via portal w/ no choice. "Hit the highway". "Go find a new gig". "Seek & ye shall find". "Thank you but no Thank you". "Buzzz... your time has expired."

"But so what?" Speaking of what.... what's with that chip (boulder) on the shoulder? Your content is good and solid, but I've noticed that you're overly aggressive towards others at times.

But to answer your question... I think it's relatively new for OU to 'process' players out of the program. Hence a very, very small recruiting class this year. Have we had one this small by design in the past 20 years? No. As such, I was just pointing out that it's my belief that some players are leaving via portal w/ no choice. "Hit the highway". "Go find a new gig". "Seek & ye shall find". "Thank you but no Thank you". "Buzzz... your time has expired."
It was a question only.

Reactions: newnasty
Barnes is too slow to give many snaps too

They eventually catch him on an island

He’s going to CU to play linebacker - Chris Wilson is their DL coach
I agree, he was too slow for safety maybe he'll do a good job at linebacker for CU

i believe they wanted both guys to stay but understood their situations - wanting more pt

Indeed. and it's why I personally like the portal. It allows a team to constantly improve while allowing the players to be released for their desired playing time.

Reactions: JConXtsy
If you're a coach, you want your players totally committed to your program. For those players who want out, the portal takes care of those who want to leave for any reason.

Barnes out grew the safety position and LB is not an easy position to learn. He's definitely fast enough to play the outside but schemes and gap protection takes years to master.

Indeed. and it's why I personally like the portal. It allows a team to constantly improve while allowing the players to be released for their desired playing time.

I'm onboard for the unpopular opinion too. I like it.

It's not like we're losing guaranteed starters. Some people just want a cupboard full of Blue Chips even if it's at the expense of a child's life and development.

It even gets some D1P5 players out to lower level teams too like the case of Terry. That provides some more parity, at least among bottom-half D1P5 teams and top-half non-P5 teams

ADVERTISEMENT