ADVERTISEMENT

Ten thoughts about OU 48, UCLA 14.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
1. Hurts has to be top three in the Heisman race, and he just keeps on taking care of business at the highest level. OU has a great chance to have the best season finish of the playoff era. But I would love to see him throw a little more and run maybe a lot less. He is such a great threat, that his running yardage hard to defend. But we need him healthy for 15 games. This offense is great and it looks different than the last four seasons. In many ways, his threat is every bit equal to the last two Heisman winners.

2. This is a new defense. There are so many encouraging factors. But I still want to see OU against somebody who plays big boy football. And will the safeties hold up? Nobody has safeties that are great tacklers in the box, but also able to cover an elite slot receiver. The Big XII is full of guys in the slot who can make a safety look slow footed. Love the improvement, but on the overall defense, there is still a lot of proving to do. UCLA isn't a great football team, especially with a substandard quarterback. We have a half dozen games left on the schedule, against quality quarterbacks.

3. We heard some grumbling from OU fans about the quality of opponent in game two with South Dakota. But all those second and third team guys who played last week produced some overall team enhancement, especially on defense. The D against UCLA looked different. Those second unit guys showed a quality of play against a P5 opponent that we're not used to seeing. Last week, LR talked about the advantage of all those guys getting to play, especially with the year old redshirt rules. It showed last night.

4. How about those place kickers!! It wasn't just the made field goals and XP's. It's that with may one or two exceptions, the eight placements kicks from scrimmage were close to dead center. That was a big improvement. Loved that. And the kickoffs were darn close to as good as we got on grass from Seibert. And the punting continues to be solid.

5. I think a lot of us see a little drop in the performance of Kennedy Brooks. But he is still very productive. You wonder if his missed time in the summer has a little to do with it. And he still makes more than he looks like he's making. Overall, the production of the running back group of Sermon, Stevenson and KB looks as good as anybody's. There is a lot of chatter that Stevenson is OUr best running back. Suspect that the coaches want just a little more confidence in his ball protection before his carries go up. But he is a load.

6. Fan consensus is that Kaden Davis is OUr best corner. He still likely has some mental stuff to master, but fan consensus and coach consensus may be coming together soon. If he's going to start in the Cotton Bowl, better get him some more experience in the two games prior to Dallas.

7. Jalen Redmond is the most talented looking young defensive lineman at any position I've seen since Gerald McCoy. And his interviews show a thoughtful, bright guy with poise. If he stays healthy, he will be a multi-millionaire in two or three years. Given the move inside, I'm not sure he's quite as good as Perkins just yet.

8. All the hand wringing about Swenson (especially mine) might have been a little premature as well as the line play overall. We still had three or four OLine holding penalties, but against the most athletic defensive front we've played so far, they played their best game. As we've all heard after every game, there is still a lot of improving to do, but everybody has confidence that Bedenbaugh will get it taken care of. P.S. Creed, what's the deal with the high snaps?

9. Did anybody else think that the linesman in stripes on the OU sideline seemed to see ball spots about six times that were close to a yard short of what the Sooner runner seemed to gain, especially in the 1st half?

10. I can't remember hearing this much positive about OU football from national media, as in the last month. Obviously the offense has earned it. The defense seems to be getting there. Brock Huard sounded last night like he was working for OU's P.R. Department.

Good post, Plaino.
My thoughts are that, overall, there is much to get excited about.
The defense is showing improvement over the last three years with many young players stepping up. Asamoah, White, Bonitto, Ugwoegbu and Jones look like good future contributors at linebacker.
The same can be said for the rebuilt offensive line.....but the mental mistakes must be removed.
The kicking game seems to be coming around....but Tre Brown needs to know when he can return a kickoff at least to the 25 yard line.
Hasselwood will be a franchise player and that might be true of Wease and Bridges.....and it's safe to say Rambo is now a very proven commodity.
Stogner is yet another great TE coming into the program. Jalen Conyers and Michael Henderson are two more potential TE's coming in 2020.
Stevenson is really a nice addition to the RB corps and when TJ Pledger returns that corps gets even better. Marcus Major may redshirt or play if Pledger still has injury issues and gets a medical redshirt. All I have read is that Pledger is in line to be ready sometime this season.
It seems Rattler will have good competition from Mordecai for the backup role at QB. This also means OU's future at the QB position in in great shape.....and I doubt if Mordecai transfers next year which would leave Rattler the lone QB in 2020.
Clearly, the Texas game will, as usual, reveal a lot about this team in 2019. A home game with Texas Tech and a game with Kansas away, with an open week this coming Saturday gives Riley time to get his team ready. I expect another close, high-scoring game with Texas.

Good post Plaino. I feel the same way about most of what you posted.

You said...
1. Hurts... I would love to see him throw a little more and run maybe a lot less.

I am thrilled with the running threat. It may be what finally gets us to the championship game and to the top. OU has a complete offense.

5. I think a lot of us see a little drop in the performance of Kennedy Brooks.

Without his previous year stats in front of me, the guy looks like a beast to me. Good solid runs.

8. P.S. Creed, what's the deal with the high snaps?

Scottsdale is correct. Wasn't Creed.

Reactions: iasooner1
The kicking game seems to be coming around....but Tre Brown needs to know when he can return a kickoff at least to the 25 yard line.

A fair catch on a kickoff between the goal line and the 25 is now considered a touchback.

Reactions: iasooner1
A fair catch on a kickoff between the goal line and the 25 is now considered a touchback.
Opening kickoff: Brown took the ball in the end zone and returned it to the 11 yard line. This was not a factor in the game but was not a good idea by Brown.
And I know the fair catch rule on kickoffs. A rule I believe is a good rule. Brown’s action on the opening kickoff has nothing to do with it.

UCLA is 129 out of 130 in total offense. Tap the brakes folks.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21/p3

Tech just scored 14 in a loss - we hold them to a similar score then I’ll feel a little better. But neither side of the ball has really been challenged - just the D vs Houston, against whom we did not make 2nd half adjustments in giving up 30+. Unfortunately UT will be the first real test....

I am very excited to see Rattler throwing the ball to Rambo and Haselwood...and Weese...and Bridges. Hurts really is something special. A battle commander who sees improvement needed, and accepts that responsibility to make the game cleaner on the edges. Jalen has my respect and he will make sure missions are accomplished.

Here's an '11th' observation: it was a 100 degrees ambient in LA Sat afternoon/evening. Kudos to the players and staff for not giving us a game where players (on our side) were flopping around/cramping every other play like LSU v texsa. I hope that shows exceptional conditioning and constant hydration and we see that all season. Having adequate Defensive platoons substituting frequently will be a huge plus through the season

The spots were TURRIBLE on both sides, re watched when I got home and there were 3-4 plays where there is no explanation to where they spotted the ball.

Thank god OU didn't let it get close.

ADVERTISEMENT