ADVERTISEMENT

Staff Picks: West Virginia

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Joe Duvall: I’m going to digress and start my prediction off with a story of a young graduate assistant at SoonerVision who was on his first road trip with the team to Morgantown, West Virginia.

In order to get to M-Town, we actually flew into Pittsburgh and made a gorgeous 90-minute winding trek through the Appalachian Mountains in late Fall.

That John Denver was not full of it.

Once arriving, we began the ascent up one of the many hills that occupy the college mountain town towards the stadium to get set up. The game wasn’t until that night, but there were already plenty of tailgaters out bright and early with their particular beverage of choice. Carrying the box of a 30-rack of light beer by its shockingly sturdy cardboard handle seemed to be the most popular choice. However, while on our climb towards Milan Puskar Stadium a hospitable West Virginia fan offered us a cup with a clear gelatinous substance inside. “It’s a moonshine Jell-O shot,” he boasted.

I declined and it is one of my life’s greatest regrets.

Still, no other experience has given me such an abundance of stories for time served ratio, but I’ll save those for a later date, as I’m sure you’re ready to talk some football.

It’s the day Norman Red Bull venders have all been waiting for, Dana Holgorsen and the Mountaineers of West Virginia are coming to town.

The past three seasons have given us terrific West Virginia/Oklahoma games staying tight into the fourth quarter and this top 25 showdown in Norman appears like it won’t buck the trend. The Mountaineers bring in the nation’s number one defense in scoring and turnover margin thanks to an opportunistic secondary and aggressive play calling. Holgorsen’s offense is also not the juggernaut of year’s past, so I imagine this game will be a more moderate scoring affair than the 50-49 Oklahoma victory I witnessed three years ago. I think West Virginia tries to run with Wendell Smallwood when they have the ball and control the clock with a few well-timed shots at Shelton Gibson.

Fortunately for Oklahoma, I believe the right skill-sets on offense to counter West Virginia’s defensive fusillade. Joe Mixon, Samaje Perine, and Mark Andrews will test the Mountaineers ability to leave defenders in isolated situations and don’t count out Sterling Shepard from providing All-American Karl Joseph and the West Virginia secondary its first blemishes of the season.

But you know what I think could be the real difference?

Baker Mayfield’s legs.

It’s time we start accepting them for the weapon they are and they could provide Oklahoma with some big plays if the defense continues their propensity for playing man and leaving their backs turned to the quarterback. Additionally, if he were to escape an initial onslaught of one of the overload blitzes West Virginia loves to run, there should be opportunities there to create big plays.

Jumping out to an early lead will be critical for either of these teams as I’m not sure either would be capable of mounting a huge comeback against the other. I can see this thing being very tight throughout the first half, then at the end of the third quarter Oklahoma feels more comfortable, and once the game is finished you look up and you see a score that doesn’t reflect the tense action you just witnessed.

Oklahoma – 41

West Virginia - 27

Eddie Radosevich:
Set the alarm and make sure to not hit the snooze button too many times. Okay, it's the weekend. You're allowed an extra five. That was a helluva Friday night, huh? Here's some advil.

These days home games mean an early wake up call. That's nothing new as I'm sure you're an expert by now. Stopping by the liquor store on Friday night is a must if you're looking for an early start. The college student in me urges me to suggest you give the Boones Farm a try.

Dana Holgorsen makes this trip to Norman with- perhaps- his best Mountaineer team yet. Or are they? Wins over Liberty, Georgia Southern and Maryland are swell. But then again they were also favored in all three games (WVU is 2-1 ATS).
Two weeks ago Oklahoma's offense came with an early start of it's own. Baker Mayfield picked up where he left off six days prior in Knoxville and the Sooners offense rolled. Lincoln Riley's group enters Saturday's contest ranked No.8 nationally in pass efficiency, while Mayfield returns to the field after picking up Big 12 Player of the Week honors last time out.

In fact through his first two home games Mayfield has been nearly flawless, averaging 435 yards per game and completing 78-percent of this throws.

Wide receiver play has improved under Dennis SImmons but face their toughest test of the season against a West Virginia secondary that leads the country in interceptions. All America safety candidate Karl Joseph leads the pack with four interceptions through three games.

The key to Saturday's contest could be Oklahoma's ability to run the football. In it's last two wins over West Virginia Oklahoma has found success through the ground, surpassing the 300 yard mark in each game.
Fans have been waiting for Joe Mixon's breakout performance. While Samaje Perine needs no introduction to West Virgina fans.

The difference in this game? What team makes the least amount of mistakes. Oklahoma has yet to win the turnover battle in 2015, something they did a year ago in Morgantown (3-1). It may not be the homefield advantage that it used to, but don't look past this contest being the Mountaineers first away from Morgantown.

I'll take the Sooners.

Oklahoma - 44
West Virginia - 31

Josh McCuistion: Is it me or does this kind of feel like the first game of the season?

I don't know why but it all kind of feels like this was preamble. Something of a feeling of 'ok Oklahoma is loose now, but let's find out what they really are about?'

I think West Virginia is coming at a perfect time, it gives Oklahoma a quality test (importantly, at home) to figure out where they are at as a team and perhaps start to give the nation a real idea of what the team consists of.

I'm a bit shocked that neither of my preceding football savants brought up Skyler Howard but I think that's kind of where the Mountaineers are right now - it's all looked so good but is that what they really are or is that a product of an incredibly soft schedule. And to be clear, no real shot intended as who could have realized Maryland might be a worthwhile battle for Kansas?

Howard is a guy that is eerily reminiscent of Baker Mayfield in his ability to create something out of nothing and more than once this weekend I expect you all to think the Sooners have a third down stop only to sere him pull a victory from the jaws of defeat. That being said, I can't help but wonder if the Sooners can force him to make some uncomfortable throws as one thing he doesn't seem to have is some of Mayfield's velocity, perhaps the Sooners can jump a route here or there and make a play. But then again, he doesn't seem to be a player who is easily forced into bad decisions and looks very in control.

The thing that I found a bit concerning for West Virginia and that Oklahoma is going to have to take advantage of is they aren't the pass protection offensive line we're all used to seeing - they are a group far better in run blocking than pass pro. If the Sooners can create some confusion with blitz packages Howard might be forced to make more plays with his feet than he is even comfortable with.

With edge players like Eric Striker and Devante Bond I think the Sooners find a way to do that exact thing.

Oklahoma - 38

West Virginia - 27

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.