ADVERTISEMENT

Staff Picks: Texas Tech

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Eddie Radosevich - @Eddie_Rado

In case you haven't heard Saturday's contest in Norman is kind of a big deal. The storylines are aplenty with connections between the Oklahoma and Texas Tech football programs reaching all the way to the tiny west Texas town of Muleshoe.

Baker Mayfield spent his freshman season on the plains. First-year offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley grew up just over an hour down the road from Lubbock before trading his jockstrap and helmet for a headset. Dennis Simmons and Bill Bedenbaugh enjoyed cups of coffee with the Red Raider program as well before splitting and calling Norman home.

But what about the match-up? Oklahoma enters as a two-touchdown favorite, but need we remind Sooner nation that doesn't mean squat?

In the weeks since Oklahoma last played at home a lot has changed. No longer are the Sooners undefeated. While wounds from the State Fair of Texas have healed, questions regarding the identity of the 2015 Sooners seem to still be unanswered.

We know Oklahoma returns to Owen Field this weekend coming off it's most impressive win of the year. A 55-0 dismantling of Kansas State can't be overlooked, no matter how outclassed the Wildcats may have been. It was a dominating performance on the offensive AND defensive side of the ball. A complete game Bob Stoops and Co. have been looking for all year.

Tempo was preached throughout the week and a five play, 75-yard drive to open the game offered reason to think the Sooners offense have turned the corner. Baker Mayfield has done exactly what has been asked of him. Most importantly he's taking care of the ball with a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 19:3. Durron Neal and Dede Westbrook continue to improve, and Joe Mixon seems to be finally getting up to speed after a year away from the game.

Defensively it was a week to remember. The program's first shutout since 2013, has brought confidence back to the Sooners defensive side of the ball. The emergence of sophomore defensive back Will Johnson brings depth to the secondary that has been seen as a missing link between true success on the gridiron.

Now Johnson and his teammates face their greatest test yet. The back end of the Sooners schedule features some of the best offensive groups -- not just in the conference but-- in the country.

Kliff Kingsbury's offense ranks No.1 in the conference in passing offense (427.6 ypg), while Oklahoma's defense leads the Big 12 in passing defense. Naysayers won't buy in to the statistics until Oklahoma can prove itself versus some of the best offenses in the country. I find myself somewhere in between. The return of Devante Bond coincides with the (apparent) departure of Jordan Evans from the Sooners starting 11. If there's a player more excited than Mayfield this weekend, may I nominate senior linebacker Frank Shannon. Look for Shannon to have a big game Saturday filling in for Evans. Keep in mind he entered last week's contest in the second half, only to finish the game tying the team-high (4) tackles.

Perhaps the Red River showing was an anomaly. While the outcome can't be scraped from the record books I do think we saw a truer shade of this Oklahoma football team last weekend. There's something to be said for the passion that returned to the Sooners sideline. Here's to thinking it shows again this weekend. I like Oklahoma and the points.

Oklahoma 50
Texas Tech 31

Joe DuVall - @Joe_DuVall

Want to hear the least shocking news of all time?

Texas Tech is 2nd in the FBS in total offense, but 122nd out of 127 teams in total defense.

Quarterback Patrick Mahomes leads the Big 12 in passing with 374.7 yards per game by throwing to a trio of explosive receivers in Jakeem Grant, Reginald Davis, and Devin Lauderdale with Grant being the biggest threat catching passes and returning kicks despite his diminutive 5-7 listed height. The Red Raiders will also test the Sooners front if they start bringing in extra defensive backs, because DeAndre Washington is 4th in the Big 12 averaging over 100 yards per game on the ground. It will be imperative for the Oklahoma defense to find ways to rattle Mahomes and contain Washington without using more than six or seven guys in the box.

2014 All-Big 12 first team OT Le’Raven Clark left in the second quarter of the Kansas game with an injury and didn’t return and as I write this his status is still undetermined. How important is Clark to an offensive line about to face off against Eric Striker and possibly Devante Bond? The Red Raiders had given up two sacks all season leading up to last week’s game before allowing five in Clark’s absence against the Jayhawks. If Clark plays, he can allow Mahomes to stay upright, extend plays, and put a strain on that Oklahoma secondary that has been playing so well since the return of Jordan Thomas.

Every one is going to have a version of the Baker Mayfield/Texas Tech storylines on Mayfield’s personal history with Kliff Kingsbury and the natural comparisons that will arise between Mayfield and Red Raider signal-caller Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes throws for more yards and is a gifted runner with a prototypical frame. However, Sooner fans can take pride in Mayfield’s 19:3 TD:INT ratio when compared to 20:6 by Mahomes’ and the fact that Mayfield’s passer efficiency rating is 27 points higher. And whichever quarterback takes care of the ball will probably the one who leads their team to victory.

With that said, my confidence lies within Mayfield at home going against a less formidable secondary than his counterpart Mahomes.

Also, while both teams will most assuredly feel something extra in the air and another pep in their step – no one will be playing with more fire than Baker Mayfield. It’s just a matter of controlling that intensity and channeling it into productive football.

Oklahoma – 41
Texas Tech – 27

Josh McCuistion

After spending some time watching Texas Tech against TCU in a 55-52 loss, the offense could be better, and the defense could be even worse.

I'm torn because frankly the Red Raiders offense missed some openings and could have had more consistent success than I saw against TCU - yes an offense that scored 52-points against Gary Patterson could be better.

At the same time, a defense that gave up 55 points could have been even worse as TCU was a bit out of rhythm at several points in the first half.

In the end, you all know my mantra - 9 times out of 10 the team who is best up front is going to win. And the reality is that I think Oklahoma's greatest weakness, the offensive line is something Tech will struggle to take advantage of - while I think Oklahoma's edge rushers can find some joy against anyone not named Le'Raven Clark. The big senior offensive tackle is a dominant player, particularly in pass pro and is the kind of tackle that I would suspect Eric Striker takes no joy in facing.

But on the flip side of Clark, the Red Raiders aren't special and the athleticism of either Striker or Devante Bond could give them some issues. If Clark isn't full speed or, even worse for Tech, can't play at all the offensive line is going to have to go through a major reshuffle and it may be something of a free for all.

The reality is I think that even if Tech weren't facing what, to my eyes, is among the two best defenses in the conference they'd still slow themselves down from time to time - which I've seen them do on several occasions this year.

Meanwhile Oklahoma's offense is facing one of the league's worst defense and seems to be brimming with confidence right now.

I just don't like this match-up for Texas Tech on the road as Oklahoma's primary weakness isn't something they can take advantage of.

Oklahoma 45
Texas Tech 24

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.