ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice started today.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
No pads allowed, but padded helmets, shorts and tee shirts. BV took cal with the players. The media was allowed in for the first 15-20 minutes to a lot is out there. There was a video on the Soonersports site, but it disappeared. But the Brent Venables era has hit the practice field officially, for the first time.

So it sounds like tempo is going to be reinstalled into the offense. Makes me happy. It's kind of like reading the room. It's a minor change that have a major effect.
The fast tempo was one of the criticisms of some of the previous OU teams. If the goal is to become an elite defensive team, I don’t see how playing a frantic pace on offense is going to facilitate that. How many fast tempo teams have you guys ever seen that were elite defensive teams?

Reactions: Belldozer1
The fast tempo was one of the criticisms of some of the previous OU teams. If the goal is to become an elite defensive team, I don’t see how playing a frantic pace on offense is going to facilitate that. How many fast tempo teams have you guys ever seen that were elite defensive teams?

Utilizing tempo isn't the same as being exclusively HUNH.

So it sounds like tempo is going to be reinstalled into the offense. Makes me happy. It's kind of like reading the room. It's a minor change that have a major effect.
This in my opinion was the reason Riley’s offense became stale etc. without tempo, dude was predictable and it showed in our offense

I agree but most tempo teams like Leach and Riley could care less about defense. I think if you pair tempo with a good defense it’ll be deadly. Riley and Leach would rather out score you on offense and to heck with playing sound defense. Just my .02. Either way, we’re fixing to find out because that’s what we have in lebby and Venables

Bleacher Report has picked Texas to beat OU in the RRR in 2022. The report basically sights the void left by Riley and Co. without any fillers of who, what, when or how that void was filled by better and more complete and competent coaching staff. The report also sights the projected improvement in Texas Offense with upgraded QB prospects and makes note of Texas working to improve on a defense that allowed a school record in come back wins by opponents in 2021. I truly believe that OU is being serious under evaluated by the media buss surrounding the impact of Riley's departure and I am damn glad it is happening. There is so much to be excited about on a daily basis coming out of Norman. I believe the coaching staff will be on par with Alabama in the near future. CFB is a capricious business and trendy. We are in age where social media and players exposure carries much more weight in today's college sports. I was amazed at the reaction shown to going to Jordan brand apparel. I believe OU'S coaching staff have a healthy balance of mature (avoiding the work "old") and youth. I must admit that I was surprised at the staff that BV was able to bring in on such short notice. Valai & Bates were great additions. I am really pumped about the 2022 season. I've have book hotels and flights for just about all home games on the RRR already!!!!

This in my opinion was the reason Riley’s offense became stale etc. without tempo, dude was predictable and it showed in our offense
Riley was spending his extra time on job interviews in Cali instead of game planning. And specifically being involved with Cali recruits, so he could turn them easily when he made the move. He phoned it in last season.

Bleacher Report has picked Texas to beat OU in the RRR in 2022. The report basically sights the void left by Riley and Co. without any fillers of who, what, when or how that void was filled by better and more complete and competent coaching staff. The report also sights the projected improvement in Texas Offense with upgraded QB prospects and makes note of Texas working to improve on a defense that allowed a school record in come back wins by opponents in 2021. I truly believe that OU is being serious under evaluated by the media buss surrounding the impact of Riley's departure and I am damn glad it is happening. There is so much to be excited about on a daily basis coming out of Norman. I believe the coaching staff will be on par with Alabama in the near future. CFB is a capricious business and trendy. We are in age where social media and players exposure carries much more weight in today's college sports. I was amazed at the reaction shown to going to Jordan brand apparel. I believe OU'S coaching staff have a healthy balance of mature (avoiding the work "old") and youth. I must admit that I was surprised at the staff that BV was able to bring in on such short notice. Valai & Bates were great additions. I am really pumped about the 2022 season. I've have book hotels and flights for just about all home games on the RRR already!!!!
SS, I agree with your take, but we need more studs in the offensive skill set room. Receiver is a little thin. OL is not exactly on the upswing. And OUr qb room is only two deep with scholly guys, and while OUr new qb is a great person, he's a little short of stature and arm talent. Learning a whole new offense and a whole new defense, the progress is likely to be slower than we'd like. Too much thinking, not quite enough aggressiveness with all the new nomenclature to be mastered. If that transfer frosh qb transfer proves to be a stud, the Horns could be tough to handle.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I think we have the advantage going into Dallas against the worst group of steers cfb has seen fielded in many years. I could be wrong here but they will have to prove it

Last edited:
SS, I agree with your take, but we need more studs in the offensive skill set room. Receiver is a little thin. OL is not exactly on the upswing. And OUr qb room is only two deep with scholly guys, and while OUr new qb is a great person, he's a little short of stature and arm talent. Learning a whole new offense and a whole new defense, the progress is likely to be slower than we'd like. Too much thinking, not quite enough aggressiveness with all the new nomenclature to be mastered. If that transfer frosh qb transfer proves to be a stud, the Horns could be tough to handle.
I don't see that true frosh qb proving stud, I just don't see it. Heck, it's Sark runnin the ship and also it's Texas! 😂

Reactions: iasooner2000
Agree.
This year's team is on course for a big time resurrection in the next 2-3 years, but I feel there are potentially a few bumps in the road along the way.
The damage caused by Riley's indifference (which for me, was a serious indictment of how Riley cheated his coaching profession) and eventual exit last season will be felt for a while with transfers and opt outs for the NFL weakening the roster. It's been a bad news, good news scenario for OU....or a textbook case of taking one step backwards to take two steps forward.
Most of us could see that the 2021 team was not really a championship caliber team after the first month of the season. My own concerns were met with an accusation of me "being in more dire need of a BJ than any white man in history" from the line in Good Morning, Vietnam.
With all the changes going on and all the issues to resolve, I see an OU team that can win games just on Venables' influence of toughness, team effort and focus against teams that are better. The Texas game could be an example of this as I think the Horns will have a deeper roster, even with a new QB.
And as the season progresses, I believe Venables' influence will result in the team getting better and better, even if there is a loss or two.

Agree.
This year's team is on course for a big time resurrection in the next 2-3 years, but I feel there are potentially a few bumps in the road along the way.
The damage caused by Riley's indifference (which for me, was a serious indictment of how Riley cheated his coaching profession) and eventual exit last season will be felt for a while with transfers and opt outs for the NFL weakening the roster. It's been a bad news, good news scenario for OU....or a textbook case of taking one step backwards to take two steps forward.
Most of us could see that the 2021 team was not really a championship caliber team after the first month of the season. My own concerns were met with an accusation of me "being in more dire need of a BJ than any white man in history" from the line in Good Morning, Vietnam.
With all the changes going on and all the issues to resolve, I see an OU team that can win games just on Venables' influence of toughness, team effort and focus against teams that are better. The Texas game could be an example of this as I think the Horns will have a deeper roster, even with a new QB.
And as the season progresses, I believe Venables' influence will result in the team getting better and better, even if there is a loss or two.
Exactly. I bet Venables knows how to seize opportunity and momentum too. Riley could never seem to seize momentum, either he was scared of it or scared of offending the other team but his teams had no desire to put the other team away EVER.

While I appreciate the different points of view I just cannot help but believe that BV will get more out of this team than we and the media believes at this point. I think potential leaders like Grimes, Stutsman and Downs will emerge as serious impact players. On offense, I think Farooq, Mims and Gabriel will step it up. Do I think we will win the Natty? Unlikely but I can make a wish. Do I think we can win the Big XII? Absolutely. Do I think we can beat Texas? Most certainly. A good friend of mine and ex-OU footballer, Forrest Valora dropped by OU practice this week and told me that the enthusiasm and excitement on this team is off the charts. We may lose and game or two for the reason that a few of you have sighted but we can expect to see a fight to the finish. Something OU lacked last year.

This is a bit like the 1966 and 1999 teams situations.
MacKenzie replaces Gomer Jones after the 3-7 1965 season and brings an elite group of assistants with him.
Stoops replaces John Blake after the 5-6 1998 season and brings an elite group of assistants with him.
Only difference is Venables inherits a 10-2 team, but one in need of focus and commitment....the result of Riley's gutless exit.

MacKenzie replaces Gomer Jones after the 3-7 1965 season and brings an elite group of assistants with him.
Stoops replaces John Blake after the 5-6 1998 season and brings an elite group of assistants with him.
Only difference is Venables inherits a 10-2 team, but one in need of focus and commitment....the result of Riley's gutless exit.
Some folks point out that Venables is inheriting a 10-2 team but I guarantee it’s not anything like the 11 win team Riley was handed lol. Two totally different teams. We have talent but like you said the attitude has to be adjusted

Sounds like the prelude to another legendary tale of a future Hall of Fame coach for the Oklahoma Sooners football legacy.

ADVERTISEMENT