ADVERTISEMENT

Sooner Report Card: Tennessee

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Alright guys, pretty wild game to try and grade because you had one quarter of near perfect scores against three quarters of failing scores (at least offensively).

For those that don't know, this is player-by-player score of all the key elements of tonight's game.

So here we go...

OFFENSE:

QB: Baker Mayfield - 96 - I really went back and forth about this one, stats should be MUCH better than they are.
RB: Samaje Perine - 89 - Again another tough one thought he did more than stats will show.
RB: Joe Mixon - 86 - Another guy that made more big plays than he'll get credit for. Was a spark when OU had none.
WR: Sterling Shepard - 92 - How do you gauge what the final quarter was opposed to first three? Bottom line? Tons of big plays when required.
WR: Durron Neal - 65 - After what I thought was his best game as a Sooner, he took a huge step back.
WR: Dede Westbrook - 50 - Blocking, catching, you name it and he had some big issues. Holding call late nearly broke OU's back.
LT: Orlando Brown - 72 - Thought he bounced back well after a really rough start.
LG: Jonathan Alvarez - 65 - Still way too many missed blocks at the second level but got better as game went on.
C: Ty Darlington - 58 - Just wasn't Darlington's night with a few missed blocks particularly in the third.
RG: Nila Kasitati - 55 - It's tough on OL until you can sit and watch but this looked really bad.
RT: Josiah St. John - 70 - Got better once Maggitt got hurt but still big improvement from week one.

DEFENSE:

DE: Charles Tapper - 86 - Not a ton of big plays but was steady all night.
DT: Matt Dimon - 85 - Kind of the same story, very solid but not as dominant as week one.
DT: Matt Romar - 91 - Really thought he was stout holding up against a quality center like Coleman Thomas.
OLB/DE: Eric Striker - 93 - Think Tennessee is glad to have him off their schedule?
LB: Jordan Evans - 87 - Again just a solid night for the LB.
LB: Dominique Alexander - 85 - Thought Alexander struggled a little early but as he got better so did the entire defense.
NB: Steven Parker - 94 - His best game as a Sooner IMO, really good in all phases - even TD he surrendered was well covered.
CB: Zack Sanchez - 95 - Sanchez missed a tackle early that gave up some yards and a would-be sack but other than that, I can't find much fault in his game.
CB: Jordan Thomas - 84 - Really took his lumps early on but settled down and cleaned things up considerably.
S: Ahmad Thomas - 86 - I think if Thomas isn't noticed too much, he is doing his job.
S: Hatari Byrd - 85 - Honestly can't remember noticing him all night? Again that isn't always a bad thing.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

KOS: Nick Hodgson - 96 - Hey, he kicks it real far.
K/P: Austin Seibert - 92 - Did everything that was asked and hit a FG when it was truly needed.
PR: Sterling Shepard - 50 - As good as he was at WR, he was equally bad at PR, time for a new option there.

KEY RESERVES:

DL: Jordan Wade - 88 - Good player and glad to see he hasn't been abducted.
LB: Devante Bond - 98 - Wow, if Oklahoma can get something close to that week in and week out team's are going to have nightmares scheming for the Sooners two OLBs.
WR: Jarvis Baxter - 60 - Brought almost nothing to the table, did have a few decent downfield blocks.
DL: Charles Walker - 96 - He is starting to live up to the hype.

Avg. Score: 81

Scoring Standard:

100-90: Playoff Contender
89-80: Big 12 Title Contender
79-70: Bowl Game Participant
69-0: 'I'll be hoooome for Christmas'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.