ADVERTISEMENT

Sooner Fan Roll Call

Norman, Oklahoma

r960-18a5cd87bc2c2119e15b87fac6e430be.jpg

Slippery Rock, America...

Maybe a few of you older Sooners will recognize one of the ghosts of the past, and the remains of days gone by. For you younger fans, that was one of the longest running game-day Traditions, ever!

FUN TIMES!

We always got an update on the The Rock scores back in the day. I guess some 30 something of the late sixties decided they were no longer news worthy. "They never were, man, it was just fun. Come on."

So does Shell Oil.

CT, when I got my first job after college, it was in Houston. We rented a 2 bedroom brand spanking new apartment right off Hillcroft and the SW Freeway. Our best apartment friends (all couples with one child, just graduated and in Houston on their first job) lived in that complex. They worked for Texaco, Shell, GM, and Ford (me). We met every night at the pool, drank, had Thursday night pot luck dinners, and attended family nights at the Astodome. Most fun and happiest times of our lives. 1971 with a $690 salary plus benefits and a new Ford company car every 12,000 miles. Wife worked at SW Bell. We were golden. I feel sorry for today's kids that still live at home 4 years after graduation. Pretty sad what's happened. Sorry I get melancholy sometimes.

So does Shell Oil.
Houston, TX.

Oklahoma, that's a bad, bad area now. BTW, I bought my first car in 1972 at Southwest Lincoln Mercury located at Hillcroft & SW Freeway.

I know it is, but in '71 it was near the Sharpstown area and a great place to live, and my office was on Hillcroft. Southwest Lincoln- Mercury and Bud Adams was my account. You know he only gave me Oilers tickets one time. Can you believe that. Haha My Alief house is the pits also.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
CT, when I got my first job after college, it was in Houston. We rented a 2 bedroom brand spanking new apartment right off Hillcroft and the SW Freeway. Our best apartment friends (all couples with one child, just graduated and in Houston on their first job) lived in that complex. They worked for Texaco, Shell, GM, and Ford (me). We met every night at the pool, drank, had Thursday night pot luck dinners, and attended family nights at the Astodome. Most fun and happiest times of our lives. 1971 with a $690 salary plus benefits and a new Ford company car every 12,000 miles. Wife worked at SW Bell. We were golden. I feel sorry for today's kids that still live at home 4 years after graduation. Pretty sad what's happened. Sorry I get melancholy sometimes.
I married my first wife in 1972 and settled in an apartment complex around the Hillcroft-SW Freeway area. We lived in a one bedroom apartment before moving north of the Katy Freeway, which was only 4 lanes wide then.
My 17 years in Houston (1969-86) was fun. My late brother and I were often at the Astros games and the Dome was really our second living room in those long hot summers. Bum and his Oilers and Yeoman and his Cougars were fun to watch. I thought at one time that the best baseball player, basketball player and football player were in Houston....that being J.R. Richard, Moses Malone and Earl Campbell. A golden era for me.
Now at 68, I like living in Connecticut where there is so much to do here that I like. My desire to retire in Houston has been a bit diminished by the hurricane and flooding, not to mention the hot and humid summers. But my family and some good friends there may win out in the end.

Okla…You have been extremely honest in sharing concerns about your memory…I’d say you have great long-term recall! Those days were obviously very special to you, and re-telling them entertains us, and helps you to keep them alive. Thank You, and MORE, Please!

I married my first wife in 1972 and settled in an apartment complex around the Hillcroft-SW Freeway area. We lived in a one bedroom apartment before moving north of the Katy Freeway, which was only 4 lanes wide then.
My 17 years in Houston (1969-86) was fun. My late brother and I were often at the Astros games and the Dome was really our second living room in those long hot summers. Bum and his Oilers and Yeoman and his Cougars were fun to watch. I thought at one time that the best baseball player, basketball player and football player were in Houston....that being J.R. Richard, Moses Malone and Earl Campbell. A golden era for me.
Now at 68, I like living in Connecticut where there is so much to do here that I like. My desire to retire in Houston has been a bit diminished by the hurricane and flooding, not to mention the hot and humid summers. But my family and some good friends there may win out in the end.

You bring back great memories for me, CT. Cool post. Thanks.

Okla…You have been extremely honest in sharing concerns about your memory…I’d say you have great long-term recall! Those days were obviously very special to you, and re-telling them entertains us, and helps you to keep them alive. Thank You, and MORE, Please!

It's weird, Senior. I can still remember just about anything that is important to me as far back as I want, but actually I, for the first time in my life, keep a diary so I know what I did yesterday. I review all my posts and edit many. This board is a treasure and the message board posters are just about the easiest for me to recall at this time. Thank goodness for that. I appreciate your post. Thank you. Boomer!

ADVERTISEMENT