ADVERTISEMENT

Some Late Night thoughts on the Temple Rewatch

Indy_Sooner22

Gold Member
Nov 28, 2021
Watching the game back a second time tonight after watching with friends and family on Friday. A few (unsolicited) thoughts and observations:

1. I’ve been watching the offensive line on every offensive snap. Not an oline expert by any means, but I don’t think it was quite as terrible as most folks on this board. Don’t get me wrong, it was bad, but I think there is hope. They got some decent push/movement in the run game. I do think assignment and knowing “where they were working to” was subpar, but, to be expected in game one. Sexton and Febechi aren’t the problem. The three transfers were glaring weaknesses. I’ve counted at least 5 first half plays where Tarquin hasn’t touched a defender post-snap. He gets no push in the run game. Brown is just simply not a starting P5 tackle, let alone SEC tackle. Not trying to be harsh, but that’s a complete miss from our staff. Hatchett is really underwhelming. Honestly, all three of those guys don’t move well and don’t seem strong enough to play this level. If any of those three guys are starting come conference play, we are in major trouble.

2. Speaking of OLine, I think our best long term bet will be Jake Taylor RT, Febechi RG, Hickman (or Everett/Bates short term) C, Sexton at LT. Pray one of the young guys can step in at LG and give some type of production. Keep all the transfers not named Hickman off the field.

3. This has been the most fun I’ve had watching an OU defense in five years. Effort, swagger, intensity. I know it’s Temple, but the ingredients are there to be special. If they can stay healthy and get above-expected pass rushing production, look out.

4. I think it will be hard to keep #11 off the field defensively. Also love the future potential of #24. So many athletes all over the field on that side of the ball.

5. Not an excuse, but the field really does seem to be in rough shape. Guys slipping and sliding everywhere.

6. It’s been talked about plenty, but Hester and Thompson are going to need to step up. Our passing game won’t have margin for error with alligator arms in traffic and uncontested drops. Personally, I think losing Farooq is a way bigger issue than most.

7. Looking at the larger CFB landscape, there are plenty of teams who legitimately struggled against weak competition in their openers (Michigan, South Carolina, Oregon, Wisconsin, etc.). In the grand scheme of things, I think OU is in a great spot.

8. Speaking of teams struggling in their opener…Houston…woof. Our defense should be salivating for next Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.