ADVERTISEMENT

Softball: want to be truly pissed off?

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
Here is the list of the Softball Division I Committee members. Not certain if this is just the rules committee or the selection committee, but it seems from the official NCAA site to be the selection committee.

There is no member from the Big XII.

Division .... Region ..... Title ................. ................... Name & Institution Conference ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Term ................ Expiration
FBS PACIFIC REGION CCD, Associate AD/Compliance Shalini Shanker Colorado State University Mountain West AUG 2019

FBS NORTHEAST REGION Head Coach Michelle DePolo U.S. Military Academy Patriot League AUG 2017

FBS CENTRAL REGION SWA Keisha Dunlap Conference USA Conference USA AUG 2017

FBS CENTRAL REGION SWA, Executive Associate Athletics Director Lynnette S. Johnson Ole Miss SEC AUG 2018

FBS EAST REGION SWA, Senior Associate AD Brandi Stuart University of Central Florida American Athletic Conference AUG 2020

FBS SOUTH REGION Sr. Assoc. AD Chris Helms Virginia Tech Atlantic Coast Conference AUG 2018

FBS MIDEAST REGION Sr. Assoc. AD Sarah Baumgartner Rutgers, New Brunswick Big Ten Conference AUG 2019

FCS NORTHEAST REGION Head Coach - Softball Jenny Allard Harvard University The Ivy League AUG 2020

FCS MIDWEST REGION SWA, Associate AD for Compliance Natalie Shock Univ of Central Arkansas Southland Conf AUG 2018

DI WEST REGION SWA Ashlie C. Kite Long Beach State University Big West Conference AUG 2020

///////////////////////////

Gee, I wonder why OU isn't in the top ten?

OU is not the only team in the Big XII. Baylor is in the top 10. The Pac12 has 4 teams in the top 10. I do not see a person from the Pac12 on the committee.

Reactions: Oklabama
OU is not the only team in the Big XII. Baylor is in the top 10. The Pac12 has 4 teams in the top 10. I do not see a person from the Pac12 on the committee.

Baylor is in the RPI higher than OU. But neither OU nor Baylor is in the committee's twice released top ten.

You're right about no Pac 12 team. But they also have four teams in the top ten in RPI.

Reactions: iasooner1
I found a RPI ranking for May 7th. It has Baylor #10. What are you looking at that shows Baylor not in the top 10? It shows OU at #11. I do not know how to post the website I am looking at. That is correct the Pac12 has 4 teams in top 10 and no member on the committee. That is counter to your claim that is why OU is not in the top 10 because the Big 12 does not have a committee member.

That says games thru May3rd. The one I saw was May7th. Maybe there is a difference from the ranking top10 and the announcing top10. But still the Pac12 has nobody representing them on the committie yet they have 4 teams in the top10. So no reason to a biased or conspiracy applies just to OU to keep them out. You seem to want a Big12 member to be on the panel so they can be biased for OU and the Big12. That is hypocritical.

Reactions: Oklabama
What you are looking at is a committee ranking, not rpi. They will also release a ranking on the selection day. In the recent past, they have made their selections right down the line with the rpi. This year, their two releases from the committee have a bit of variation.

OU got a little bit of help today. Bama beat A&M 2-1 (10). I think Bama has had too much failure to pass OU unless we have a bad weekend ourselves. But,, that could knock A&M out of the top eight or nine.

What you are looking at is a committee ranking, not rpi. They will also release a ranking on the selection day. In the recent past, they have made their selections right down the line with the rpi. This year, their two releases from the committee have a bit of variation.

OU got a little bit of help today. Bama beat A&M 2-1 (10). I think Bama has had too much failure to pass OU unless we have a bad weekend ourselves. But,, that could knock A&M out of the top eight or nine.

Even the SEC broadcasters on the SEC Network said during the game that A&M was playing for a spot at home in the Supers, and Bama was playing to secure home in the regionals. I can't imagine that Bama would make the top eight, even if they win the tournament.

In that Bama win, A&M had no hits and was trailing 1-0 in B7, when their best home run hitter hit a center square change out by 20 feet. Otherwise, Osorio wouldn't have had to throw 155 pitches. She was under 100 at that time.

I don't know what team you are a fan. But, this committee is very skewed towards the East Coast. The vast majority of the committee are affiliated with East Coast teams. Members from the South and Central are Miss State and Virginia Tech. And, the two East of the Mississippi are CO State and Long Beach State.

Perception is reality. You take a look at OU's out of conference record and you won't find many teams above OU that played a tougher schedule. The majority of OU's on the road games losses were against highly ranked teams and one run losses.

Baylor played a lousy out of conference schedule, but has a higher rpi. That makes no sense.

Okay maybe I was looking at the wrong rankings. And the committee or rankings may be skewed to the east coast but the west coast makes up for almost half the top10. I am a Sooner fan. But I don't always believe anti-OU conspiracies every time OU is not where we want them to be ranked. The point of this thread was to say OU is not in the top10 because the Big 12 does not have a commitiee member. That has no foundation as the Pac12 has no member and has 4 teams.

We've been hammering this out around here for a couple of weeks. RPI is critical, because the committee who makes the brackets, uses that as a primary guideline. It's not hard fast. And the agreement, at least on this site is that there are some flaws in the RPI formula, which is purely a computer generated ranking, based on the computer's view of SOS.

But it is the committee that makes the final decisions about who is where in the bracket, and who the top eight and top 16 are, which are guaranteed Regional and SuperRegion host spots, unless there is a conflict. But once you're in a place in the bracket, that doesn't change. So if you're an 11 seed and win your Regional, and the 6 seed loses in their Regional, then you host the Super against whomever wont 6's Regional, in a big advantage over teams seeded 9 and 10, who were seeded higher than you, but whose next opponents are higher than they are. Because they stay in the same place in the bracket as when it started.

And because the officials come from places local to where the host is, you tend to find some homerish strike zones. It's a big advantage to be a home team, when you throw in familiarity with the field and everything else advantageous about being at home.

So these seedings are a big deal.

A&M losing was a big help. MIght give us a chance to pass them with a XII Tourney sweep. And we would surely have to pass Baylor with a sweep. If we truly are at 11, which as you said earlier, dates back to 5-3-17, we ought to have a chance to get to eight in the bracket. It's a big big difference between 8 and 9.

Here is the list of the Softball Division I Committee members. Not certain if this is just the rules committee or the selection committee, but it seems from the official NCAA site to be the selection committee.

There is no member from the Big XII.

Division .... Region ..... Title ................. ................... Name & Institution Conference ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Term ................ Expiration
FBS PACIFIC REGION CCD, Associate AD/Compliance Shalini Shanker Colorado State University Mountain West AUG 2019

FBS NORTHEAST REGION Head Coach Michelle DePolo U.S. Military Academy Patriot League AUG 2017

FBS CENTRAL REGION SWA Keisha Dunlap Conference USA Conference USA AUG 2017

FBS CENTRAL REGION SWA, Executive Associate Athletics Director Lynnette S. Johnson Ole Miss SEC AUG 2018

FBS EAST REGION SWA, Senior Associate AD Brandi Stuart University of Central Florida American Athletic Conference AUG 2020

FBS SOUTH REGION Sr. Assoc. AD Chris Helms Virginia Tech Atlantic Coast Conference AUG 2018

FBS MIDEAST REGION Sr. Assoc. AD Sarah Baumgartner Rutgers, New Brunswick Big Ten Conference AUG 2019

FCS NORTHEAST REGION Head Coach - Softball Jenny Allard Harvard University The Ivy League AUG 2020

FCS MIDWEST REGION SWA, Associate AD for Compliance Natalie Shock Univ of Central Arkansas Southland Conf AUG 2018

DI WEST REGION SWA Ashlie C. Kite Long Beach State University Big West Conference AUG 2020

///////////////////////////

Gee, I wonder why OU isn't in the top ten?

That committee was like burnt toast. Meaningless. Nobody from a softball power on that committee. No SEC no PAC12 no Big10.

Its no big deal Plaino.
Something tells me OU (THE HOTTEST TEAM IN THE NATION) will be #8 seed.
We jump over Baylor, aTm & Tenn.

UPDATE!!!!!.........aTm LOSES TO ALABAMA!!! aTM ELIMINATED!
SECOND UPDATE...Tenn LOSES TO LSU 6-2 AT TENN HOME...TENN ELIMINATED!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Ok Plainosooner I see what you mean. I was getting RPI rankings and the committee mixed up. I was thinking they were the same thing.
And I see this as being similar to the BCS. Many many years the BCS was very friendly to OU football. I heard many fans of other teams hating on OU and how favorable it seemed to be towards OU and most OU fans enjoyed their anger. But now at times like this the roles are reversed. As sports fans we have to take the good with the bad sometimes. Rankings don't always turn out the way we want them to be. Or think they should be. So I refuse to believe their is a conspiracy against OU.

Ok Plainosooner I see what you mean. I was getting RPI rankings and the committee mixed up. I was thinking they were the same thing.
And I see this as being similar to the BCS. Many many years the BCS was very friendly to OU football. I heard many fans of other teams hating on OU and how favorable it seemed to be towards OU and most OU fans enjoyed their anger. But now at times like this the roles are reversed. As sports fans we have to take the good with the bad sometimes. Rankings don't always turn out the way we want them to be. Or think they should be. So I refuse to believe their is a conspiracy against OU.

In the two most respected College softball polls the ESPN Poll and the Softball Coaches poll
OU is ranked #6 in both. They will help in OU's seeding for the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT