ADVERTISEMENT

Softball: Sooners run rule Omaha twice Friday, 9-1 & 8-0.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
Looked sad after 3. Trailed 1-0 on a solo homer by the Omaha catcher, her 4th base hit of the year in 40 plus at bats. OU had two base runners on walks and no hits.

But the Sooners got 3 in the 4th and ended it with 6 in the 5th. Caleigh Clifton left with no evidence of injury after four. She did extend her on base streak to eight games. The night cap about to start on FSO and FCS.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
OU run-ruled Omaha 8-0 behind Lopez in the second game. The bats came alive. I guess they came alive in the fourth and fifth of the first game and never stopped.

I think the announcer mentioned that Caleigh had a flu that had been winding it way through the team. Came back in the second game.

I think the most interesting story of the day might be Nicole Mendes, the freshman who hasn't played much, I believe because of some injury issues.

When Clifton left game one on short notice in the fourth, they moved Macey Hatfield from the outfield, to second and put Mendes in her spot in left. Hatfield had made a nice diving catch earlier when playing left. Mendez led off B4 with a line drive double down the right field line, that one hopped the fence. She bats left and is really quick. And she just has the look of an elite athlete. It triggered a six run inning. She batted again in the inning and walked.

She started game two, and had another solid single going one for two. They hit for her in B4 so she could warm up and pitch T5. She retired Omaha in order on eight pitches.

I know this wasn't the toughest competition of the season, but I really want to see her play a lot more. I'm sure we will in the future. But I'm hoping for me pretty soon. This lineup needs another left handed stick and it needs more speed. She is both.

Last edited:
Just because they are not in a power five conference, let's not underrate Omaha. They lost to UIC, 4-3 today. But, this Omaha team that we just run ruled twice went to Utah last week and beat #20 Utah, 5-1 (the same Utah team that beat Tennessee). That was after they had already gone to Stanford and beaten them at their house. They aren't exactly chopped liver.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT