ADVERTISEMENT

Softball: Sooners fall Notre Dame 5-4.

Domers go up 2-1 in T2 as the Sooners throw it around a bit. Two four pitch walks and a wild pitch led to two runs on two singles. there was another wild pitch just before the last out.

B2 Taukeiaho walked, went to second on a wild pitch, to third on Wodach's sac bunt and with two outs, scored when Clifton reached on a throwing error by the Domer third basewoman. Clifton went to second on that error, stole third and scored when the ND catcher threw it away. Two runs on no hits and nothing out of the infield. OU had a walk, a sac bunt, a grounder to third, a pop to short another walk and a grounder to second.

3-2 Sooners headed to T3.

No threats in the fourth. Headed to T5 still 3-3.

Kelsey Arnold is still under the weather and was removed for Rodgers. She goes to left and Dalton comes in from left to play short.

Parker come in to pitch the fifth and allowed no fair balls, three up three down on 13 pitches. Two strike outs and a foul out.to Romero.

For whatever reason, I can't listen to the game online, so watching the live stat sheet.

Sooners took a 4-3 lead in B5, but could have had more. Three straight on base to lead off and second and third with no outs, and a run in. But couldn't move em up. Strike out, foul out to catcher, and Lundberg pinch hitting for Wodach grounded to second.

Then in T 6, ND tied it on a solo homer to center by their clean up hitter. No other runners.

Rodgers will lead off B6, then the top of the order.
-------------------
Sooners went in order in the sixth. 4-4 headed to the seventh.

Another gopher ball, to the ND number 7 hitter, hitting .150. 5-4 ND leading off the seventh.

Last edited:
Sooners loaded the bases in B& and sent Parker to the plate for Wodach. With two outs, they walked Knighten on four pitches. Pendley singled to right, for first and third. Taukeiaho walked to load em, but after Parker took a strike and then fouled off four pitches and took a ball, she grounded to short to end it.

I HATE LOSING TO NOTRE DAME IN ANYTHING.

Sooners loaded the bases in B& and sent Parker to the plate for Wodach. With two outs, they walked Knighten on four pitches. Pendley singled to right, for first and third. Taukeiaho walked to load em, but after Parker took a strike and then fouled off four pitches and took a ball, she grounded to short to end it.

I HATE LOSING TO NOTRE DAME IN ANYTHING.

I was in the eighth grade when we lost to ND to snap the 47 game win streak. I cried like a baby. The softball season has been really frustrating so far. This year is a different dynamic. Perhaps the burden of expectation is causing us to "press" - not playing with that "freedom"we played with last year. We need to get it going or we will find ourselves in the same boat as 2015. I think Texas will be our main competition in conference. They have a solid pitching staff with Tiara Davis, Paige Vonspretchen (sp?), and Erica Wright who is back from injury. Tripp McKay is also the new hittin coach. What do you think?

Runners on second and third, nobody out, and have just taken a 4-3 lead.
--Pendley strikes out
--Taukeiaho fouls out to the catcher
--Lundberg grounds to short.

We lost it right there. You have to hit smarter than that. You don't strike out. You put the ball in play. Make anything happen. But down on your swing. But, make them beat you.

Reactions: iasooner1
I think there are a lot of dynamics going on here. OU made a lot of huge plays last season. Knightens homers against Bama, won games where the offense did nothing otherwise. Same thing with Romero's three run dinger when they beat Auburn in game one of the finals 3-2. They just didn't do much else.

Parker is a pitcher who can pitch to contact, and this team plays outstanding defense. It will serve them well, down the road. But they have some key players dealing with injuries. They expected Taukeiaho to be an offensive factor, but she's been hurt and is slowly returning. Nobody has taken Erin Miller's place as an all around offensive catalyst from the left side.

The ballyhooed freshman class will come around. But they have learning and adjusting to do. Last year NOBODY ran on Wodach. So far, teams have, and successfully. And she's not hitting her weight.

I think there was a lot of assuming going on. National champs returning four freshman starters from 2016, plus four other starters. Only lost two. Adding a terrific pitcher transfer from Mizzou. But it's a different role not being out there ever day. The same thing for Parker.

I think there was a hunger last season, that might not have been part of the off season preparation going into this year. I mean, "we're defending national champs." It doesn't just happen. It has to be made to happen. And this group isn't a lot different in where they are this year, than where they were last year at this time. Just not sure you can count on winning 35 straight or whatever it was.

And they are getting everybody's best shot. PItchers and pitching coaches have studied how to pitch to OUr girls, and they can be pitched to. You have to figure that when Knighten gets healthy, that she'll be a force. Right now, she's mostly not. And part of that is who is hitting behind her.

The good news is that really good pitching and really good defense

OU's lineup right now has the kind of averageness that you can find on a lot of teams in the NCAA. This team's difference is pitching and defense. I just keep having wonder about Parker. I remember how many innings Stevens pitched, getting us into the WCWS and then for two years, wasn't nearly as effective. I think her arm got worn down a little. If that happens to Paige P, we have a problem. She's been pretty solid, but gving up too many homers. And I can'r remember five homers this group has hit. Last night was a big one. But I don't remember another. From anybody.

Patty seems to believe publicly that there is a lack of discipline in pitch selection. I think that points at least some to that lack of hunger.At this point of the season, there is one returning player who has shown the kind of improvement that ought to be the case every year. That's Clifton. She's been great. I also think that by the time the conference season starts, that a couple of newbies will be in a groove that aren't there just yet.

The key is assuring that they're a top eight team. If they hold serve in that respect, they'll be a hard team to beat by tournament time. But somebody needs to do some improving. Right now, if the other team doesn't kick it around on their defense, we really don't score much.

Reactions: sybarite43
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT