ADVERTISEMENT

Softball: Sooners beat Tulsa 1-0 in ten innings.

Good old fashioned strike zone against TU, which accounted for a total of I think nine combined hits by both.Both pitchers got the low strike called all night, and both got two inches off the plate outside, called a strike so long as the pitch was in the bottom four inches of the zone. Both took full advantage. Tulsa's Emily Watson is pretty good, too. She matched Parker, pitch for pitch for nine innings, but three hits in the tenth led to the only run of the game. She actually threw fewer pitches than Parker.

Paige pitched a ten inning complete game, and allowed two hits. One of them got thrown out trying to steal 2nd to end the third. TU got one runner to second on a lead single and a sacrifice, I believe in the eighth. OU had Wodach thrown out trying to score from first on Clifton's double in the third. She was out by eight feet, but with two outs, it was a good gamble. If Patty had used a pinch runner, she might have scored, but it was early and with two outs, she didn't want to waste her substitution/re-entry for Wodach.

One interesting note. The Sooners only run came because Gasso let Parker hit in the batting order. She and Clifton had the best at bats of the night. Paige hit into a double play in her second at bat on a hard grounder to third with first and second and one out. Parker, who'd already been pinch hit for in the sixth led off with a double. Raegan Rogers, who started and played the whole game in left, was pinch hit for just after Parker. She ripped a single to center, advancing pinch runner, Hannah Sparks to third.

Then after Wodach struck out on a wicked change up, Clifton ended it with a soft liner over short. She was the only Sooner with more than one hit.

The schedule this weekend has been altered. With bad weather now expected Saturday, they created a double header against Omaha, Friday, and a single game Saturday.

I wonder if the way that this game ended won't be a motivation for a bit more energy. Parker's face-first dive into second on the double demonstrated an attitude and lack of caution. She wanted that double, and her teammates were appreciative. Such a simple act may be the fire that ignites this team.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT