ADVERTISEMENT

Softball Rule possible changes

Soonerborn59

Sooner starter
Aug 16, 2009
Found this on the Robo softball forum site and I am in favor of this. Before posting it though in the next reply I think its funny to hear Texas HC MW say his team was intiminated by the HFA for OU.

In case he doesnt know, the fans don’t pitch, hit , run or field. Either your good enough to win or lose. Its a built in excuse for losing when using the HFA argument.

Posted 2 days ago

The NCAA Softball Rules Committee on Wednesday proposed modifying video review challenges regarding a runner leaving a base early on a pitch.

Committee members, who met this week in Indianapolis, think the recommendation is needed due to unintended consequences, such as challenges to whether a base runner left a base early on home runs, which by rule would take the runs off the scoreboard.

All rule proposals must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel before becoming official. The panel is scheduled to discuss softball rule recommendations later this summer.

Under the proposal, coaches could challenge whether a runner left early if it is called on the field by an umpire or if a runner successfully advances a base on the play. However, the video review challenge would not be allowed if any of the following occur:

A home run.
Hit by pitch.
Ground rule double.
Foul ball.
Lead off.
When a runner is forced to advance due to:
A blocked ball base award.
Base on balls.
Catcher obstruction with the batter.

"The integrity of the game is one of the foremost priorities of this committee," said Trisha Senyo, committee chair and softball coach and associate athletics director at Whittier. "We want to make sure that the integrity stays within the intent of the rule. The tweak is necessary to keep pace of play, too. We want to continue the progress of growing the game."

Other rule proposals

Allow umpires to initiate a video review, without requiring a coach's challenge, at any point in the game when a base is not properly covered by an umpire on a play.

Change the penalty for a time-between-pitches violation by the pitcher or catcher to an illegal pitch.

Posted 2 days ago

The NCAA Softball Rules Committee on Wednesday proposed modifying video review challenges regarding a runner leaving a base early on a pitch.

Committee members, who met this week in Indianapolis, think the recommendation is needed due to unintended consequences, such as challenges to whether a base runner left a base early on home runs, which by rule would take the runs off the scoreboard.

All rule proposals must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel before becoming official. The panel is scheduled to discuss softball rule recommendations later this summer.

Under the proposal, coaches could challenge whether a runner left early if it is called on the field by an umpire or if a runner successfully advances a base on the play. However, the video review challenge would not be allowed if any of the following occur:

A home run.
Hit by pitch.
Ground rule double.
Foul ball.
Lead off.
When a runner is forced to advance due to:
A blocked ball base award.
Base on balls.
Catcher obstruction with the batter.

"The integrity of the game is one of the foremost priorities of this committee," said Trisha Senyo, committee chair and softball coach and associate athletics director at Whittier. "We want to make sure that the integrity stays within the intent of the rule. The tweak is necessary to keep pace of play, too. We want to continue the progress of growing the game."

Other rule proposals

Allow umpires to initiate a video review, without requiring a coach's challenge, at any point in the game when a base is not properly covered by an umpire on a play.

Change the penalty for a time-between-pitches violation by the pitcher or catcher to an illegal pitch.
I don’t blame coaches for taking advantage of challenging whether a runner left base early. However, the rule changes are needed so that we don’t end up calling runners out for leaving base early when leaving base early had no impact on the play, such as a home run or a BB.

Either your good enough to win or lose. Its a built in excuse for losing when using the HFA argument.

I agree, and I remember having some disagreements with some other OU fans about this when OU played LSU in the 2004 BCS National Championship game.

I don’t blame coaches for taking advantage of challenging whether a runner left base early. However, the rule changes are needed so that we don’t end up calling runners out for leaving base early when leaving base early had no impact on the play, such as a home run or a BB.
No disagreement as video reviews (right or wrong) just lengthen out the game and destroy momentum pro or con; however it’s like giving the base runners a “get out of jail free card”.

I’m interested in how long it will be until AI takes over the need for human ump behind the plate. Tired of the fluctuating strike zones and wish that part of the game can be improved
No doubt. Each umpire seems to have his/her own strike zone but its like that in all leagues including MLB. Didnt single A toy with the AI system this season?

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT