ADVERTISEMENT

Softball at Kansas

sybarite

Sooner signee
Jan 5, 2005
Lauren Chamberlain will continue her assault on the home run record in Lawrence this weekend. All three games will be televised on SoonerVision, which I assume is premium. The games are at:
5:00 Friday
2:00 Saturday
12:00 Sunday.

The current record is 90, held jointly by Lauren and Stacey Nuveman of UCLA who played 1997-2002. It took Stacey about thirty more games to get to 90. Lauren hit 30 as a freshman, and 30 as a sophomore. Injuries limited her playing time as a junior, and she only hit 12 home runs. She has hit 18 this year to tie Nuveman.

In the wings, Shelby Pendley has hit 23 home runs this year to tie Danyele Gomez of Louisiana-Lafayette for sixth on the all-time home run list at 83. If she hits seven more, OU will have the numbers 1 and 2 home run hitters of all time, and they will have played on the same team.

Kansas is #24 on the rpi, not that the rpi makes much sense or means anything in softball. OU is #13, and Texas is #28, despite having swept Kansas in Lawrence. Texas Tech, #88, took two of three from #24 Kansas this past weekend. OU is #5 in the ESPN poll with Baylor (#13) being the only other ranked team in the Big Twelve. Kansas is not a good pitching team. So, OU should have an opportunity to get some hits. In nine conference games, the only time that Kansas has held an opponent to fewer than five runs was when they beat OSU 3-2.

Lauren did almost hit one out against OSU last night. But, it hit about halfway up the right field wall. It was hit so hard that it was a single, bouncing straight back to the right fielder.

Reactions: whatawin
I actually work in Lawrence, so I may take in the game tomorrow if it isn't raining. The forecast is a little iffy for tomorrow evening. If I go, I'll park myself behind the fence in hopes of retrieving the trophy ball if she gets that record dinger. And yes, I'd make sure she gets it for her trophy case.

I actually work in Lawrence, so I may take in the game tomorrow if it isn't raining. The forecast is a little iffy for tomorrow evening. If I go, I'll park myself behind the fence in hopes of retrieving the trophy ball if she gets that record dinger. And yes, I'd make sure she gets it for her trophy case.
Vert...that would be great on many levels...Lawrence is a very pretty area of Kansas...I was quite shocked the first time I was there.

Vert...that would be great on many levels...Lawrence is a very pretty area of Kansas...I was quite shocked the first time I was there.

Yes, 83, Lawrence is a really nice little city. We spend a lot of time kicking around here. Unfortunately, the weather for this afternoon isn't looking too good; We've already had a couple of pretty good downpours this morning. It isn't supposed to start raining again until around 7:00, so we'll see. I'm going to try to drive by the diamond at lunch at check out the field. It's cool and windy here right now.

We lost 4-2 in eight on two two-run home runs. Paige pitched a three-hitter, and we lost.

Run-ruled KU 13-0 today in five.

Thanks for the updates, they are appreciated...

I noticed while watching the baseball team lose to Sam Houston State (yuck) that FOX simulcast Lauren's last at-bat from Kansas - I'm guessing they did that for all her at-bats today, and that she didn't break the record...

OU wins the series and at least ties for the Big Twelve title with a 7-4 win over KU. OU went three games without a home run, their first such drought this year. Lauren was walked four times and scored three times as a result.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT