ADVERTISEMENT

So are we just going to ignore this or what?

Sooner Showtime

Sooner starter
Jun 7, 2010
Caleb Williams, come on down! (I hope)

67S1G8I.jpg

Reactions: iasooner1
Well, we already had a five star quarterback in this class, who decided to reconsider because we were "too far away."

So now we have moderators telling us that a five star kid who is further away than that, is favoring us ten months before signing day number one. I'm really excited that he might come. But I really won't be excited until he signs that little piece of paper and faxes it in.

Do you believe OU puts up an 11-2 record without Hurts ?

Do you believe that question, regardless of how it is answered, has anything to do with whether or not the QB was a problem this year? It doesn't matter what you, I, or anyone else thinks the record might have been without him; QB play was a problem this year. Not the only problem, but a problem.

Do you believe OU puts up an 11-2 record without Hurts ?

How about this question...
Of the 4 Playoff contending QBs, order them by your preference to lead your team. Only Jalen's mom would select him #1 in that group.

Jalen Hurts
Justin Fields
Joe Burrow
Trevor Lawrence

Now repeat that question with the QBs of the last 4 CFPs.

How about this question...
Of the 4 Playoff contending QBs, order them by your preference to lead your team. Only Jalen's mom would select him #1 in that group.

Jalen Hurts
Justin Fields
Joe Burrow
Trevor Lawrence

Now repeat that question with the QBs of the last 4 CFPs.
Agree, Hurts was the least of these 4 quarterbacks (that's not being debated here), but he was the best OU had to work with.....finishing third in the Heisman voting and leading OU to an 11-2 record.

Maybe. I do believe the bar has been set very high at OU, and Jalen didn't reach that bar.
If Jalen had been protected by the OLine that protected Baker or Kyler, he'd have looked better, and gotten a lot closer to that bar. I agree he wasn't at their level. But he was good enough with better protection, and a better running game, that didn't rely on him for so many rushing yards.

I would also have to argue some of the play calling to get the qb to run the ball was somewhat of a problem. Hurts is a damn good athlete and will be drafted high, but the RB's should of had more touches and the TE/HB should of had more targets.

coe, Jalen will probably go in the 3rd round which would a very respectable draft for him, imo. If he really wants to “play” pro ball he should keep his options open as in be willing to play a position other than quarterback that will more likely get him on the field rather than holding a clip board.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong on this but I was thinking Rattler was 5* and we already had a new Frosh big name signed to come into camp this spring making it crowded up there. Would Williams be class of 21 ?

I'm sorry if I'm wrong on this but I was thinking Rattler was 5* and we already had a new Frosh big name signed to come into camp this spring making it crowded up there. Would Williams be class of 21 ?

Yes, he's in the class of 21. If Rattler's all that, he'll be gone in a couple of years.

Chandler Morris is class of 2020, I still Hurts goes in the 1st two rounds. There will be a team take a chance on him. Seen some mock drafts where he goes in the first, think thats a stretch though. Higher he goes better chance of landing that 5*

Reactions: JConXtsy
Not that it makes a ton of difference, what with Burrow running away & hiding (deservedly so) in the Heisman voting, but fwiw, Jalen was the runner up.

Quarterback depth, like pitching depth in baseball, should ideally be deep and productive.
If Caleb Williams or any good QB recruit comes along in the 2021 class, so much the better.
No one knows if Rattler will be at OU after the 2021 or 2022 season, or if injuries will derail his career and since the QB position is the most important position in football, it needs to be prioritized above all else. OU has reflected this, but has seemingly made defense too much of a lesser priority when compared to the offense.

Quarterback depth, like pitching depth in baseball, should ideally be deep and productive.
If Caleb Williams or any good QB recruit comes along in the 2021 class, so much the better.
No one knows if Rattler will be at OU after the 2021 or 2022 season, or if injuries will derail his career and since the QB position is the most important position in football, it needs to be prioritized above all else. OU has reflected this, but has seemingly made defense too much of a lesser priority when compared to the offense.

No kidding. I recall a few sure fire high schoolers signing the dotted line and not working out. Most notably Bomar. Spencer Rattler looks to be the real deal but he hasn’t started a college game yet much less played a lot. Get all the quality QBs we can and see what happens.

No kidding. I recall a few sure fire high schoolers signing the dotted line and not working out. Most notably Bomar. Spencer Rattler looks to be the real deal but he hasn’t started a college game yet much less played a lot. Get all the quality QBs we can and see what happens.
With the ever-increasing number of injuries in football combined with the limited recruiting numbers being 25, depth is more important than ever in CFB.
Riley evidently sees this, which is why he plays more players than his predecessor did to develop better depth.
It seems strange to me that some believe OU's depth at quarterback in 2019 would have been better....or at least equal....with just Rattler and Mordecai and without Hurts. Such a scenario would have been dangerous and with less success, even with Rattler's high school resume.
Others thought, or still think, that Mordecai should transfer, which would have had Rattler as the lone backup to Hurts.
I feel much more secure with OU having at least three quarterbacks on the roster, especially in this age of such numerous and random injuries.
As far as recruiting in general, I think Riley now has a staff that can compete better for better high school talent in the future, but that upgrade may not be apparent this year with so much youth on the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT