ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Sooners will wear alternatives in Waco

I know we wore alternative uniforms in a gashed loss to TTech in Lubbock when Landry Jones was the quarterback. We just didn't call them alternatives yet. We called them throwbacks, I think. I've disliked alternates, since.

Reactions: harolds
I never liked those white top and red bottom uniforms. I was opposed to changing.

BUT ... after seeing them.... now I think they look good.

Goes to show that an old man can change his ideas. LOL

Last edited:
I wish OU had remained true to the uniform that's made it famous, like Alabama and the Yankees.
I liked the change OU had in 1966 to red helmets, then having names on the back in the late 70's....but could have done without "Sooners" or "Oklahoma" on the front of the jerseys.
Ultimately however, if we could see a few more national championships, I wouldn't care if the uniforms were burlap.

mlb-spring-training-new-york-yankees-at-atlanta-braves-f94834016dda6f34.jpg

Reactions: iasooner1
I've seen the Yankees and Bama in alternates. Not very often, but they've worn them.
The Yankees, like all MLB teams, must sometimes wear holiday uniforms, or pink trimmed uniforms for breast cancer awareness, or with every player wearing number 42 to honor Jackie Robinson in April, or camouflaged uniforms to honor the military, or July 4th uniforms.....but never for the same reason OU and other teams (and other MLB teams), now including Alabama, have.
Penn State is reported to wear alternate uniforms in its opening conference game next week vs Indiana.
And tjc......the picture you posted is the Yankees' spring training uniform. Nice try though.

I like the alt jerseys, because the players like them.

My biggest complaint is why do we waste them on worthless games every year? They say dress nice to feel nice (same in sports), so they should be breaking these things out for big time games as a little extra motivator for the guys.

I like the alt jerseys, because the players like them.

My biggest complaint is why do we waste them on worthless games every year? They say dress nice to feel nice (same in sports), so they should be breaking these things out for big time games as a little extra motivator for the guys.
Word has it that the alternative uniforms help recruiting. If so, that trumps any dislike that fans may have. Gotta keep feeding the monster any way possible.

The Yankees, like all MLB teams, must sometimes wear holiday uniforms, or pink trimmed uniforms for breast cancer awareness, or with every player wearing number 42 to honor Jackie Robinson in April, or camouflaged uniforms to honor the military, or July 4th uniforms.....but never for the same reason OU and other teams (and other MLB teams), now including Alabama, have.
Penn State is reported to wear alternate uniforms in its opening conference game next week vs Indiana.
And tjc......the picture you posted is the Yankees' spring training uniform. Nice try though.
I posted no Yankee pic.

Word has it that the alternative uniforms help recruiting. If so, that trumps any dislike that fans may have. Gotta keep feeding the monster any way possible.

I'd rather we stay with the traditional uni always but understand that my time has past and accept the inevitable change. All I ask is that OU never follows in the footsteps of those that go outside of true team colors as Oklahoma State frequently does and how Arkansas is doing right now today with their tribute uniform to Ohio State. If I were a Hog fan I would be livid. Edit: Just saw that today's Arkie uni is for Jerry Jones and copying the Dallas Cowboys uniform. If they had not announced that no one would have put two and two together. Besides that only would be appropriate for BYU or some other school with blue as it's school color. Now it's even worst to me.....I hate the damn Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT