ADVERTISEMENT

Short weekend of Super Regional likely to get a lot longer

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
The schedule for the Super Regionals has been announced, though not TV that I could find so far. All of the Supers have the same format. A one game schedule on day one, with both game two and the IF game three scheduled the next day. OU vs Louisiana-Lafayette is schedule for Thursday - Friday. But those are likely at this point, to be the two stormiest days of the week.

I read 50% chance of storms Thursday, and an 80% chance Friday.

Game One Thursday 8:00 P.M.
Game Two Friday 6:00 P.M.
If Game Three Friday 9:00 P.M.

I guess this format is designed to give an advantage to teams with a deeper pitching staff. Winning the first two gets to be a big factor. If rain delays games, then Paige looked amazing against Ole Miss, except when the Sooner batters took a long time to score. She got a little tight of arm, apparently, when that happened. She make for an interesting few days at Marita Hines Field.

Last edited:
BTW, ULaLa faced the 137th ranked Boston University in game one of their regional. And they used their second and third pitchers for five and two innings and won 9-5. So they had a fresher number one starter, their conference's pitcher of the year, Alex Stewart, for games two and three. Stewart still threw 257 pitches in their wins over UTexas and A&M.

By comparison, Paige Parker pitched every inning of the weekend for OU. All three teams the Sooners faced were in the top 50 in RPI. Parker still only threw 268 pitches in three games.

That will be tougher this weekend.Lafayette leads the country in home runs at 107 I believe. I lost count yesterday when they hit five against A&M's worn out freshman starter. But the Ragin' Cajuns are a lot tougher to beat at Lafayette than on the road, historically. Their win over A&M was "highlighted" by the Aggies having the winning RBI double in the bottom of the seventh of game six, taken away for their batter being called out for stepping out of the batters box to hit it.

It will be interesting to see if their strange dude of a coach, Michael Lotief, decides to let his second and third pitchers face the Sooners. And how much rain and rain delays affect the weekend. He is either a character, or a pain in the neck, depending on ones point of view. And likely the geographic location of the game.

ULaLa is tenth in RPI, but seeded 14th. I suspect if they were in the SEC, they'd have been hosting this weekend.

Good read. Thank you. For what it's worth its only 40% chance both days. I've always been a big fan of Gasso

I've read four weather reports anticipating the end of the week in OKC, and none were identical Or close to the same. The one I posted was the first one I saw. It was on weather.com. The other three, including one that you seemed to have seen, were from the local weather affiliates. I saw one with like 20% one day and 30% the other. We'll see how it holds up during the week.

If the games are not affected by weather, then the TV channels for the games will be ESPN 2 for the first two games, and ESPN U for game three, according to OU's official site. Weather dot com com is still hanging in there with little change in their guessing, now 40% and 80%. But I think they are the least reliable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT