ADVERTISEMENT

Sermon

Sermon as a true freshman was a beast. Great hands for a rb but as time went on it always seemed like he was more effective as the 2nd string rb. I've always liked him but if there was one knock, he doesn't have quick enough acceleration to get out of the hole at times, Imo. Nonetheless, he's been a great player for OU. His game against Ohio State was great.

When can you lose a player of his skill set, talent, and drive... and not be too worried about it.... it really shows how deep at RB OU is really sitting. It's amazing really.

I really liked this kid. Loved his tOSU game. Good luck to him going forward.

It's a loss and wish him success, but I believe Pledger is/will be the better back. He has better all around skill sets than Brooks too.
Sorry, but no way, ever. Not possible. Pledger isn't big enough to be even a decent pass blocker. He will never be anything more than a third guy occasional spot in guy. He's too short to be a quality receiver.

I wouldn't expect this rumor to be true. But if it is, it is a huge loss.

Sorry, but no way, ever. Not possible. Pledger isn't big enough to be even a decent pass blocker. He will never be anything more than a third guy occasional spot in guy. He's too short to be a quality receiver.

I have to agree with Plaino on this one. Pledger most likely will continue to be in the rotation but he isnt an explosive player and not nearly as big or as good as Sermon. Would like to see if Major can step up and be a contributor this year.

Reactions: iasooner1
Big loss. With spring practice closed, the young guys will not get the extra, practice to learn their blocking assignments.

His experience, will hurt and show some growing pains

Sermon as a true freshman was a beast. Great hands for a rb but as time went on it always seemed like he was more effective as the 2nd string rb.

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I've been wondering the last couple of years if Riley's extreme "fairness" in distributing the carries among backs has prevented some of them from getting into a rhythm. I love the idea of sharing the workload and having quality backups, but I think you need one guy you ride until he tells you he can't anymore. They have to be catching up subtle nuances of the defenders as they get more carries and are therefore able to make more predictions in their runs. I felt Sermon was one of these guys that was hampered by ball distribution.

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I've been wondering the last couple of years if Riley's extreme "fairness" in distributing the carries among backs has prevented some of them from getting into a rhythm. I love the idea of sharing the workload and having quality backups, but I think you need one guy you ride until he tells you he can't anymore. They have to be catching up subtle nuances of the defenders as they get more carries and are therefore able to make more predictions in their runs. I felt Sermon was one of these guys that was hampered by ball distribution.

I was thinking along the same lines. I also think that his philosophy will keep us from getting elite backs, as they want to go somewhere where they can be a feature back, not just another horse in the stable. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the reason they lost McClellan at the 11th hour.

We'll see. Yes Pledger is shorter but that's not a huge hurdle at RB. In limited duty he's shown better vision, quicker burst and higher top end speed.

Sermon is a powerful runner with his size and strength. Brooks has rare elusiveness that doesn't require him to change speed in the open field. They made a great combination, but there's a reason Pledger still found his way onto the field. If Stevenson is suspended, Brooks and Pledger will be the guys and we'll be fine.

Concern over the heights of running backs is silly, especially given the history of backs at OU.....McDonald and Pruitt at 5'9", Griffen at 5'6", Washington, Jerald Moore and Kejuan Jones at 5'10". I don't recall OU losing a game because of the blocking or pass receiving abilities of these players.
Pledger is a good player and can be much better with more playing time.

Concern over the heights of running backs is silly, especially given the history of backs at OU.....McDonald and Pruitt at 5'9", Griffen at 5'6", Washington, Jerald Moore and Kejuan Jones at 5'10". I don't recall OU losing a game because of the blocking or pass receiving abilities of these players.

One of Pledger's high end attributes out of HS was as a receiver, as well.

Kind of brings me to something that I have thought for some time but not mentioned. I personally believe Riley severely underutilizes the RB screen. With our recent run of mobile quarterbacks and excellent offensive lines, it would have been an added dynamic to a potent offense. How wide open would Hollywood have been on a fake RB screen. Geez.

kejuan jones? ummm ok

Jones (2002-2005) had a solid, but not stellar career at OU....and had some good moments during his time at OU....like the good-ahead touchdown vs Texas in 2002.

Ya he was solid...nothing special. Kinda reminds me of Brennan Clay. Reliable but nothing to write home about

Ya he was solid...nothing special. Kinda reminds me of Brennan Clay. Reliable but nothing to write home about
You need to watch Clay in the Sugar Bowl with Alabama or his touchdown run vs OSU (2012) in overtime with OU trailing 48-45.
Obviously, no one can compare Jones or Clay to Murray, Peterson, Perine, Mixon or Brooks. My point is that OU has had....and will continue to have.....backs that are considered "small".

Michael Thorton
Samaje Perine
Brennan Clay
Chris Brown
Roy Finch
You need to watch Clay in the Sugar Bowl with Alabama or his touchdown run vs OSU (2012) in overtime with OU trailing 48-45.
Obviously, no one can compare Jones or Clay to Murray, Peterson, Perine, Mixon or Brooks. My point is that OU has had....and will continue to have.....backs that are considered "small".

The gap between a guy like Jones and Clay to a guy like Brooks is miniscule compared to the gap between a Brooks and a Peterson/Murray/Mixon. That's not a knock on Brooks or anybody, just an acknowledgement of the latter's skills.

OU is not hurting at RB. Sermon was good... actually better than just good. But I suspect that his talents will not earn him a fat cat contract in the NFL. OU is in on some elite talent at the moment. All we csn do is look forward and not backwards. Sermon is gone.

Oh I know he had a few moments as did Jones. I agree height doesn't mean anything in most positions especially RB. I just feel like Sermon is a better player than Pledger....a lot more physical

Reactions: Belldozer1
Oh I know he had a few moments as did Jones. I agree height doesn't mean anything in most positions especially RB. I just feel like Sermon is a better player than Pledger....a lot more physical
Can't disagree with you so far. But I have a feeling Pledger can still be a force in OU's offense....if there is ever football again.

Reactions: Belldozer1
well they did say something yesterday about July and maybe even August
Who is "they" ?
Not arguing with you....and I would hope it's true that this pandemic is under control by summer's end. But this pandemic is not yet under control and its peak is not known yet. My guess is that we will know by mid to late summer what direction this thing is going.

With all of Sermon’s injuries, his role and future skills were uncertain. Unfortunately, he and Rodney...and Samaje had nagging injuries and set backs. He did seem to have lost a step in games he did play last year. And really none of the defenses he played against were extraordinary. I wish him well. He was a great power back when healthy. After the ACL year, he may be facing an upward road.

Who is "they" ?
Not arguing with you....and I would hope it's true that this pandemic is under control by summer's end. But this pandemic is not yet under control and its peak is not known yet. My guess is that we will know by mid to late summer what direction this thing is going.

the press conference with Trump and a few of the doctors

It's a loss and wish him success, but I believe Pledger is/will be the better back. He has better all around skill sets than Brooks too.
I've never seen where Pledger has better skill sets than Brooks (except maybe off the field issues). Not sure what you would base that statement on? Certainly not on the field performance.

Brooks and Sermon came to OU rated as 4-star recruits and Pledger came a year later with the same rating. That aside, I believe Riley will be giving Pledger more opportunity to see playing time from here on.
Having Brooks and Stevenson ahead of him, with McGowan coming in and Major on the roster, Pledger will be challenged.
FWIW, I saw majors' high school highlights and noticed he played linebacker as well.

Last edited:
I've never seen where Pledger has better skill sets than Brooks (except maybe off the field issues). Not sure what you would base that statement on? Certainly not on the field performance.

It's my opinion. Pledger was a higher ranked prospect than both Brooks and Sermon.

In minimal action Pledger did seem to show better patience and vision than Sermon, as well as being faster.

As compared to Brooks, I think Pledger has the upside to be better. If Stevenson is suspended, let's hope I'm right.

I've learned that the number of stars really doesn't mean that much. i've seen many 4 and 5 star guys not be able to produce in college.
So have I, but no one actually knows what Pledger is capable of if he's given only ten carries in an injury-plagued year as 2019 was for him.

ADVERTISEMENT