ADVERTISEMENT

Scoop's Illegitimate Son: Dec. 21, 2021

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
A special Tuesday edition since Bob Stoops Zoom carried the day Monday.

We roll? For the final time in 2021, we roll.

Trending up

No other way to say it. Feeling good on Dec. 21. Will it carry to Feb. 2 is the question? What's funny/interesting about Moten and Thomas is realizing just how much work Brent Venables has probably done in the state of the Florida throughout the last decade.

I think we all remember how Mike Stoops had to scratch and claw to get in with St. Thomas Aquinas and that led to Nik Bonitto and Jaden Davis. But man, maybe Venables already has some deep-rooted Florida connections that are gonna show up. Alton Tarber at Deerfield Beach is another example. Not just trying Florida, but hitting in it, too.

Call that a miss by me. Here I am thinking Venables can just be a factor because of his defensive prowess and track record. But if you add in the fact he's gonna get OU into some of those Florida schools, too, that's a win everywhere.

As much as Ted Roof is the man of the hour on The Corner this last week (send us the signal), ya gotta think he helps OU get into Georgia. Not that he'd win the battles all by his lonesome, but he'll open the doors and then Venables and company can be involved, too.

The opposite is Campbell. If USC is the outside looking in vs. OU for Barnes, then the Sooners are the same way for Campbell vs. Horns. As discussed Monday, intrigued to see what Bill Bedenbaugh wants to get out of this next month. Portal? Juco? 2022 HS? What makes the most sense, in his eyes.

But adding those four guys and then searching for the diamonds in the rough gives you an idea this could be 23-25 pretty quickly. And like we said on the pod last week, be OK with knowing some of these guys just won't pan out. Pure percentages, can't all be winners.

Wease back in 2022

The original plan was for Theo Wease to announce after the Alamo Bowl that he was returning. That felt like it was gonna be a lil too long to realistically be kept quiet because, heck, it really wasn't as of last week to begin with.

So Wease is back, and through a source, can confirm the plan is for him to not be available for the Alamo Bowl. Not about his physical health, necessarily, but his mental health. The Wease family has been going through a lot, and Theo (as of last week) wasn't mentally in a place where he could even think about playing football.

But 2022? OK, let's do this. Foot healed, let's see what he can do again.

Getting Wease and Brey Walker back a nice lil boost. You wonder if the expected defensive back surge into the portal has been stymied with Venables' arrival? We're not idiots, sure felt like Joshua Eaton and Bryson Washington were gone. You could argue Latrell McCutchin. I wasn't quite there yet with McCutchin, but the other two for sure.

Maybe there won't be such a terrible exodus. Or maybe it will come after the bowl game? Or the first Schmitty workout, lol.

Coaching carousel part you don't consider

I've talked before about how it felt like the families of Alex Grinch and Brian Odom didn't sound as though they were none too happy about leaving OU for USC, but that's just what you have to do in the coaching business.

Bob Stoops spoke more on that Monday.

"It's an incredibly difficult time for assistant coaches. Unfortunately, the outside world doesn't recognize that. A lot of these guys are put in a position they don't know if they're going. They don't know if they're invited to go. They don't know if they have a job here remaining, on and on, or do they have one somewhere else? And when does it start? These guys have done a great job.

"Brian Odom is putting things together with Calvin Thibodeaux and Jamar Cain, and they're doing an awesome job. Will Johnson, our young secondary guy, is working with them. I appreciate them very much. They've worked hard at it. They're up in the office putting in the time and putting together a game plan, out on the field practicing. It's an incredibly difficult time for assistant coaches. They're not aware of the change, either. So they're caught off guard and by surprise. They've got families to think about, little children in schools. Their whole world is turned upside down as well."

I'll be very curious to see how that USC staff functions. Imagine you just suck it up and move on. But, just thinking out loud, do any of those guys feel like they're gonna be in LA for more than a year or two, at most? Guess we'll find out together.

Riley's legacy

Question for the board. The 2017-21 seasons saw some fun wins, some incredible moments, some legendary players. But knowing how it all ended, what in the world do you make of the Lincoln Riley era? And will you watch any of the classics?

- 2017 at Ohio State
- 2019 at Baylor
- 2020, 2021 vs. Texas
- any of the Big 12 championship games (esp 2018 vs. Texas)

Like can you differentiate it because of the players involved? Or will you get too worked up for any camera shot that shows Riley? Not sure we can answer that question so much Dec. 21, but it's something I'm wondering about in the months and years to come.

Movin' on up

FHERC0PWQAcEac-

So close. In the 20s the last two weeks, but Porter Moser and the boys are just on the outside at No. 26 for this week's rankings. OU has another gimme coming Wednesday vs. Alcorn State and should be at 10-2 heading into Big 12 play.

And it's defense. There are some exceptions like the 3-point shooting barrage vs. Arkansas, but for the most part, it's gonna be defense that will always be the difference for Moser and whether OU is successful or not.

His thoughts on how OU's defense feels like it's starting to find its groove, even if the offense isn't always there.

"They're building habits. They're learning a lot of the little things that goes into it. I think getting to know each other, you start communicating. When you're more comfortable you communicate better. When you're not sure of where to go, what to do, what our coverage are, then you hesitate and your communication is a little late. I think our communication is more urgent. I think they're on top of the scout. I think they're seeing how a lot of these little things add up.

"We're playing more of five guys trying to stop the ball, its shared responsibility defensively. It's not, 'I got mine, I got mine,' I think we're more connected. And here's the crazy thing, I don't think we're even -- I think we've got a huge couple of steps to improve on. That's how much I think we're capable of. But that first five, that first five is really connected and playing together defensively. We've got to maintain it when we start subbing."

It would have been nice if Florida and Arkansas played better since the OU game, but the Sooners did what they could in the non-conf slate (outside of the Butler collapse). Take care of Alcorn State and get ready for KSU on New Year's Night.

And Otega Oweh? Not bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.