ADVERTISEMENT

SCOOPHD: Lincoln Riley (Post Practice Monday) ...

Eddie_Rado

Sooner starter
Staff
Jan 30, 2011
Here are highlights from offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley's post practice media session on Monday.

SCOOPHD: Lincoln Riley

Lincoln Riley's offense is ranked second nationally in passing efficiency rating (185.18), third in scoring offense (46.3 ppg), sixth in total offense (549.3 yards per game), 11th in passing offense (338.0 yards per game) and 14th in yards per completion (14.4).

What's there to fix if nothing is broken? Fine tuning, perhaps. But nothing drastic.

That was the basic message coming out of Sooners camp on Monday.

It starts at the top. Baker Mayfield continued his superb season under center throwing for 342 yards and three touchdowns while running for another score versus Iowa State.

* Mayfield leads the nation in passing efficiency with a 186.8 rating. Over the last four games, Mayfield has completed 75.9% of his throws for 1,219 yards and 14 touchdowns throwing just 1 interception (206.8 QBRating).

EasygoingRedBluemorphobutterfly.gif

* If you want offense ... Waco will be wacky on Saturday. The Bears rank first in the country in scoring (57.4 ppg), total offense (665.6 ypg) and passing efficiency rating (198.90). While in the same categories, Oklahoma ranks No.3 (46.3 ppg), No. 6 (549.3) and No.2 (185.18).

* Mayfield met with reporters on Monday admitting his performance has been hurt in games versus Texas & Tennessee when he's let the moment get to him. He explains ...

"I've really learned a lot throughout the season just based on how I've played and my performance. When I'm a little bit too hyped up I don't settle in and make the routine plays that I should," said Mayfield. "I don't need to do anything special. My supprotunihg cast and the guys around me are very talented. The games like the Tennessee and Texas game where I didn't do a very good job of that it showed in how the offense performed."

Here's a link to Baker Mayfield meeting with the media: SCOOPHD: Baker Mayfield

* Mayfield spoke on his lone meeting with Baylor head coach Art Briles, coming a few years ago at the old Floyd Casey Stadium while watching his high school- Lake Travis- compete in a high school football playoff game.

* What has helped the Sooners passing game over the last four games? Certainly could start by looking at improved play from the offensive line thus a better running game.

* Starting left tackle Orlando Brown credits the improvement to gaining more experience as the season has moved along. Brown will be tasked with facing the dirtiest player in the league in Shawn Oakman on Saturday. That's my words, not Brown.

Here's Samaje Perine and Orlando Brown talking on the Sooners improved run game in a SCOOPHD Offensive Notebook from Monday.

* Over the last four outings, Oklahoma is averaging 295.2 rushing yards on 6.2 yards per attempt. Samaje Perine (110.5) and Joe Mixon (89.8) are averaging a combined 201.8 rushing yards and have totaled 11 rushing TDs over the last four games. Perine is averaging 7.6 yards a carry during the stretch while Mixon is averaging 8.0.

* Did see Dahu Green on crutches after practice today, as it was discussed here. Below is the play it happened on.

InnocentImmediateDuckling.gif

* Outside of that though, it would seem OU enters the weekend in very good health.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.