ADVERTISEMENT

Sad day - Burt Reynolds is gone

Schoonerman

Sooner starter
May 29, 2001
Marietta, GA
Burt Reynolds passed today at 82 years old. Had one of the most incredible careers in movies and TV of anyone in the entertainment industry, especially during the mid-70s to mid-80s. He had some classic movies and roles, but he also had his fair share of dogs too. His personal life was almost as well-known as his acting career, as well as highly-publicized bouts with substance abuse, financial woes and health issues later in his life. What I liked most about him, was that he seemed to not take himself too seriously and could laugh at himself. Thanks for the fun Burt. It was a blast.

His book Burt Reynolds is a good read. I never was a big fan because I thought he “over acted” most of the time and some of his movies were pretty bad, but after reading his autobiography I changed my mind. That’s typically the case but not always. RIP, Paul Crew....the Wreaking Crew. My favorite Reynolds character.

His book Burt Reynolds is a good read. I never was a big fan because I thought he “over acted” most of the time and some of his movies were pretty bad, but after reading his autobiography I changed my mind. That’s typically the case but not always. RIP, Paul Crew....the Wreaking Crew. My favorite Reynolds character.
O, Come on, Okla...When you look like Burt did, it didn't matter whether or not he could act...:cool:

Johnny & Burt...
https://www.google.com/search?sourc.....0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131i67.oFcjQGgGdpw

I have a friend that ran into Burt in an airport bar somewhere many years ago. He said Burt drank one beer but bought twenty. I recall him saying there was no different in his on screen - off screen demeanor. I'm not into theme comedy movies. I've never seen any of the Smokey movies. Deliverance was my favorite Burt Reynolds movie.

Reactions: iasooner1
Reynolds' death recalls two events in the early 1970's that were, to say the least, overrated and overblown:
Reynolds' Cosmopolitan picture.
The Billie Jean King-Bobby Riggs tennis spoof in the Astrodome.
Reynolds never won me over as a top flight actor and his meltdown on the Carson Show turned me away for good.

He did stuff most of us guys of that era never could, getting next to Sally & Bernadette among others. Deliverance was his most serious contribution to the art no doubt. The fact that he was a FL boy but wore an OU cap in LY2 was cool I suppose

Last edited:
Reactions: kcstorm06
ADVERTISEMENT