ADVERTISEMENT

Rusty Staub dies at 73

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
Came up with the Colt 45s in 1963 at 19 years old.
Played 23 years with 5 teams.
Astros foolishly traded him to Montreal in 1969, receiving Donn Clendenon who refused to join the Astros because of Harry Walker, a known racist. Instead of negating the deal, Commissioner Bowie Kuhn had the Expos send replacement players.
He was later traded to the Mets that season.
Clendenon went on the carry the Mets to the 1969 championship, winning the World Series MVP Award.

Staub became a gourmet chef in Montreal and his organization to help aid the families of fallen firemen and policemen raised over $112 million dollars for the 9/11 attack victims and their families.
Staub was a very good player and a great person.

Came up with the Colt 45s in 1963 at 19 years old.
Played 23 years with 5 teams.
Astros foolishly traded him to Montreal in 1969, receiving Donn Clendenon who refused to join the Astros because of Harry Walker, a known racist. Instead of negating the deal, Commissioner Bowie Kuhn had the Expos send replacement players.
He was later traded to the Mets that season.
Clendenon went on the carry the Mets to the 1969 championship, winning the World Series MVP Award.

Good story that I did not know

Thanks CTOkie.

Reactions: iasooner1
I saw Rusty play for the 45s when I was a very young kid. In fact, I remember Dad buying me a 5 x7 B&W of him. I guess you could say that Rusty was my first sports hero.

Reactions: iasooner1
I was a Rusty fan, but honestly, I always thought he was kinda a bit un-athletic looking. I don’t know how to explain it and it may be totally my individual opinion, but he was a little sissy-like. My good friend’s son, Bayor Moore, played with him and valued his friendship and tutoring as a young Montreal Expo. RIP, Rusty.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT