ADVERTISEMENT

Running back Javontae Barnes

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
Jason Rhea, managing editor of the Last Word on Sports, remarked that freshman Javontae Barnes is emerging as OU's best back in spring drills so far.
With Gavin Sawchuk arriving this summer, Venables has two elite freshmen backs to team with Gray and Major (who is nursing some minor injuries right now).
Two reserves, Hudson and Knowles, are talented and could contribute more than a year ago, when OU was involved in too many close games for them to take the field. I'm curious to see how the coaches will use them, even if it's in a mop-up role.
I'm hoping that freshman QB Nick Evers can get plenty of playing time and performs well because next year, OU will not have Gabriel and will have Evers and freshman Jackson Arnold as the top two QBs....barring another transfer or JUCO addition. So goes a team's QB play, so goes the overall success of the team.

I'm of the opinion that Barnes, Majors and Gray make a formidable rotation. I would not be shocked to see Barnes emerge as the feature back by the Nebraska game. He's a grown man physically. My only concern is line development in the early season. There's talent to develop a top 10 o-line. Hopefully we run the ball often in the first 3 to 4 games and start evolving the offense as the conference season begins.

I'm of the opinion that Barnes, Majors and Gray make a formidable rotation. I would not be shocked to see Barnes emerge as the feature back by the Nebraska game. He's a grown man physically. My only concern is line development in the early season. There's talent to develop a top 10 o-line. Hopefully we run the ball often in the first 3 to 4 games and start evolving the offense as the conference season begins.
And Sawchuk adds to that rotation. He looks like a good return man on kickoffs as well.

I'm thinkin we're gonna see a heavy heavy dose of the running game and I like it. Barnes and Gray are gonna tear it up. My feeling. 😁

Last edited:
I’ll be fine with a bunch of 21-3, 28-7 type games so long as we see progress and solid effort from players and coaches moving forward

Our run game depends on the development of our O-line not the quality or talent of our RBs.
Obviously, and I am reading and hearing about Bedenbaugh's work this spring to rebuild OU's offensive line and adding quality depth to it.
Right now, the OL is a work in-progress and it's been hampered by Raym's injury (broken hand). The depth is paper-thin as I see it. And I have never seen more unproven and shallow depth issues in OU's offensive line than what I may be seeing this year.
Two highly touted freshman, Sexton and Taylor, will have to contribute immediately when they arrive. A few linemen who were highly recruited as 4-star players (Walker, Simpson, Anderson, Harrison, Hicks and Alexander) need to come through and I haven't heard much this spring that indicates they have.
As I have said before, 2022 will be a transition year at OU with a few bumps in the road. A solid QB and good backs and receivers could be hard pressed for success if the OL doesn't come through big time.

Reactions: Belldozer1
If you watch the the videos of the last spring practice or 2, the team is running the W drill. This was the first time I’d seen Barnes, you can tell he’s got some wiggle and power just from his run in that drill. He’s Jersey No. 2

Obviously, and I am reading and hearing about Bedenbaugh's work this spring to rebuild OU's offensive line and adding quality depth to it.
Right now, the OL is a work in-progress and it's been hampered by Raym's injury (broken hand). The depth is paper-thin as I see it. And I have never seen more unproven and shallow depth issues in OU's offensive line than what I may be seeing this year.
Two highly touted freshman, Sexton and Taylor, will have to contribute immediately when they arrive. A few linemen who were highly recruited as 4-star players (Walker, Simpson, Anderson, Harrison, Hicks and Alexander) need to come through and I haven't heard much this spring that indicates they have.
As I have said before, 2022 will be a transition year at OU with a few bumps in the road. A solid QB and good backs and receivers could be hard pressed for success if the OL doesn't come through big time.
When is Raym due back?

Reactions: iasooner2000
Gabe Ikard was talking the other day about Gray's legs being much bigger. I saw Gray on video the other day and I agree his thighs are considerably more developed than they were last year. I was wondering how on earth he was getting so much praise from Murray etc. and most people project him to be No. 1 back when last year he seemed more like a 3rd down back at best. Apparently his conditioning has really made him more of a load etc.

Gabe Ikard was talking the other day about Gray's legs being much bigger. I saw Gray on video the other day and I agree his thighs are considerably more developed than they were last year. I was wondering how on earth he was getting so much praise from Murray etc. and most people project him to be No. 1 back when last year he seemed more like a 3rd down back at best. Apparently his conditioning has really made him more of a load etc.
Good to hear.
Gray ran really well vs Oregon with 82 yards in 8 carries and I think he will be a much better contributor this year....although the rebuilt O-line will have a lot to say about that.

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT