ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Positions, Weights, Observations and Random Thoughts

soonersin2002

Sooner starter
Nov 26, 2001
There was another post about weight gains that really got me curious. I normally go out to Sooner Sports and check the official roster about this time every year just to see how things are shaping up. I also take it with a grain of salt as it's very hard to know what is accurate.

Random thoughts and observations:
  • Not sure how well all will turn out, but from a size standpoint, the OL is so impressive. At 6'3 288, Alex Dalton may be the smallest OL and he's a RSJR....seems odd.
  • Calcaterra weighing in at 220 should be concerning. I wonder how much that will bring bigger receivers in for straight up 4WR packages. Lack of experience at H-Back and TE will be very interesting to watch.
  • The ILB positions are so confusing. Not sure how JMT went from nearly locking down the job last year to not in the conversation at all. I understand they see something in Murray, just not sure why JMT can't compete alongside Murray. We have several quality candidates for those 2 positions and should be able to find adequate play this year.
  • Blindly, I feel very good about our corners going into this year from a size and experience standpoint. This should be an area where we are very solid.
  • I tend to think Bookie will be an instant success wherever the play him in the safety/NB positions. Too much chatter about him. When you hear coaches and older teammates that aren't exactly tapping the brakes on expectations....it really tells something. It would appear the staff and the team feel they have something here.
  • I think it's very important for us to play adequate sized safeties this year if possible. We really need bodies that are at least in the 6 ft 190 lb range at a minimum. It would help a lot if we got a special senior year out of Haughton and another player with size (Barnes would be ideal but something tells me he's just not gonna be ready yet....just a hunch). Playing smaller safeties has really hurt us in the running game over the last few years (along with smaller LB's)......
  • We appear to have all the bodies and necessary depth on the DL to play either the 4 man or 3 man line. I don't really understand why we fail to get great play from our interior guys. Hopefully that changes this year.
  • QB position will continue to be interesting. Murray brings so much to the table but at the end of the day, you need to be able to deliver the ball on time also and his height will require throwing lanes that can be clogged when you need to get the ball out quickly. Reports of Kendall competing hard for this are nothing but good for everyone. I know many write him off but I feel he may prove to be very good for us some day...I just tend to think Murray will get the first crack at it due to his sacrifice. I also go back to 2007 when everyone....and I mean everyone....believed that Keith Nichol would be the starter...or Joey Halzle...when Sam Bradford (who most believed was only going to be a career backup due to three-star status) was chosen. No one saw that coming either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.