ADVERTISEMENT

Rodney Anderson

Anderson joins the ranks of other Sooner backs who had "star-crossed" shortened careers at OU for one reason or another:
Vessels
Looney
Dupree
Peterson
Thomas
Gaddis
Burget (Grant)
Wylie
Parker
Carr
Sermon
Kennedy
Just to name a few.

Anderson joins the ranks of other Sooner backs who had "star-crossed" shortened careers at OU for one reason or another:
Vessels
Looney
Dupree
Peterson
Thomas
Gaddis
Burget (Grant)
Wylie
Parker
Carr
Sermon
Kennedy
Just to name a few.

Maybe not as good as we thought? Not a knock on him but in HS we saw players that you thought for sure were going to be major stars in College only to see them turn out to be average or get washed out. Same thing from College to Pros I am guessing. Lots of talent coming out of each every year and only the best of the best move on. Some for whatever reason when they get to the big time be it College or the NFL get lazy and content while others continue to strive to be the best and continue to work hard.

Maybe not as good as we thought? Not a knock on him but in HS we saw players that you thought for sure were going to be major stars in College only to see them turn out to be average or get washed out. Same thing from College to Pros I am guessing. Lots of talent coming out of each every year and only the best of the best move on. Some for whatever reason when they get to the big time be it College or the NFL get lazy and content while others continue to strive to be the best and continue to work hard.
Anderson was injury riddled his first two years, 2015-2016....missing all of the 2016 season. Then he had a great 2017 season being an honorable mention for Big 12 offensive player of the year. Then in the first game of the 2018 season vs UCLA, had a season ending injury to his leg that ended his OU career.
In 2017, Anderson was as good it gets and I believe he might have been considered a top ten running back in OU history without those injuries. His loss of production over the course of his time at OU had nothing to do with his attitude or lack of elite ability.

Anderson was injury riddled his first two years, 2015-2016....missing all of the 2016 season. Then he had a great 2017 season being an honorable mention for Big 12 offensive player of the year. Then in the first game of the 2018 season vs UCLA, had a season ending injury to his leg that ended his OU career.
In 2017, Anderson was as good it gets and I believe he might have been considered a top ten running back in OU history without those injuries. His loss of production over the course of his time at OU had nothing to do with his attitude or lack of elite ability.

Certainly reminds me of Mike Gaddis. Really feel for all if them.

Such a physically punishing position. Big 220 - 300 pound guys hitting you as hard as they can 25 times a game... Lot's of glory in being a RB, money too, but not conducive to staying healthy.

Reactions: CTOkie
Given the increase of so many random injuries these days, it may be time to figure injury-probability into a team's yearly prognosis.
Every year OU loses at least 1-2 players with season-ending injuries, whether it's during the off-season or during the season. It's now more a part of the game than it's ever been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT