ADVERTISEMENT

RIP "MARVELOUS"

I had the pleasure of meeting Marvin at Milan Linate Airport in 1991. He lived in Milan at the time. The airport was fogged in and we took a taxi to Bergamo to catch a diverted flight from Bergamo to Marseille. We had taxi ride then a short flight to chat. We were the only two Americans on that specific journey. He was genuinely a nice guy. I was surprised by his size (smaller than I imagined) and his impeccable attire. Black fedora and knee length black leather trench coat. I asked, as does everyone he meets, who his toughest opponent was. He said without hesitation, Vito Antuofermo.

Marvin was shooting a few scenes of an Italian movie at the old port in Marseille and I was going home (Ventebren, France). His weight class and that era of boxing will never be matched. The list of great boxers and fights is endless.

I had the pleasure of meeting Marvin at Milan Linate Airport in 1991. He lived in Milan at the time. The airport was fogged in and we took a taxi to Bergamo to catch a diverted flight from Bergamo to Marseille. We had taxi ride then a short flight to chat. We were the only two Americans on that specific journey. He was genuinely a nice guy. I was surprised by his size (smaller than I imagined) and his impeccable attire. Black fedora and knee length black leather trench coat. I asked, as does everyone he meets, who his toughest opponent was. He said without hesitation, Vito Antuofermo.

Marvin was shooting a few scenes of an Italian movie at the old port in Marseille and I was going home (Ventebren, France). His weight class and that era of boxing will never be matched. The list of great boxers and fights is endless.
Thanks for sharing brother. US boxing, (promotors) have unfortunately and surely suffocated the sport. Dirtbags ruined a good thing. Dang shame. And YES, the middleweights/welterweights of the 70s and 80s provided the most exciting bouts. Hagler got jobbed against Leonard. Imo. Hagler beat his ass.

ADVERTISEMENT