ADVERTISEMENT

Riley

OUnabomber

Sooner signee
Jul 16, 2017
Montana
If we lose our first 4 big 12 games (very possible) what kind of heat is going to be placed on Riley? Im afraid some are going to begin to draw Blake comparisons.

If we lose our first 4 big 12 games (very possible) what kind of heat is going to be placed on Riley? Im afraid some are going to begin to draw Blake comparisons.
Blake? No. Not yet anyway.

If we lose that many, it’s because of the defensive side. Grinch gets the most heat in this scenario, though LR will take some (deservedly so).

The offense is struggling, but has potential.
The defense looks lost, and no signs of growth.

Riley is not coaching the same level of talent he had his first three years....not by a long shot. We should all be aware of this, because this year, it's staring us in the face.
Graduation, early exits to the NFL, transfers, lack of depth and a serious pandemic has put Riley and his coaches in a tough situation.
Evidently, the Mayfield-Murray-Hurts era really spoiled us. These were the best QB's OU ever had as they had to almost single-handedly win high scoring games every week because of OU's poor defensive play.
Rattler is a good QB who will get better as OU reloads its offensive talent around him, and that means in every position. He's a young player who will make mistakes....mistakes that will be (and have been) magnified by the lack of talent on the roster, offensively and defensively.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patriotgame
Strength coach. The team looks physically unimpressive and continually wilt in the 2nd half.

How were other schools able to work around COVID?

So many have stated the Sooners look gassed the past 2 games. How is it that we are this way ..yet K-State and Iowa State are still rolling in second half? The excuse bag is likely absurdly deep.

So many have stated the Sooners look gassed the past 2 games. How is it that we are this way ..yet K-State and Iowa State are still rolling in second half? The excuse bag is likely absurdly deep.
OU just isn't very good this year and there are reasons, not excuses, for this demise.

Riley is not coaching the same level of talent he had his first three years....not by a long shot. We should all be aware of this, because this year, it's staring us in the face.
Graduation, early exits to the NFL, transfers, lack of depth and a serious pandemic has put Riley and his coaches in a tough situation.
Evidently, the Mayfield-Murray-Hurts era really spoiled us. These were the best QB's OU ever had as they had to almost single-handedly win high scoring games every week because of OU's poor defensive play.
Rattler is a good QB who will get better as OU reloads its offensive talent around him, and that means in every position. He's a young player who will make mistakes....mistakes that will be (and have been) magnified by the lack of talent on the roster, offensively and defensively.

I heard someone on the animal mention that these are all now Riley's players. The Stoops hold overs are gone. Riley not been recruiting that well? There does seem to be a lack of playmakers on both sides of the ball. Who can we go to on offense when we really need a spark? I can't think of anyone

I heard someone on the animal mention that these are all now Riley's players. The Stoops hold overs are gone. Riley not been recruiting that well? There does seem to be a lack of play makers on both sides of the ball. Who can we go to on offense when we really need a spark? I can't think of anyone
Riley's first class in 2018 was 8th ranked, his 2019 class was 5th ranked, his 2020 class was 16th ranked and so far the 2021 class is ranked 12th, so he at least gets players highly regarded. How they play and how long they're at OU is another story.
Riley does have rough edges and I'm wondering if playing and coaching at Texas Tech (2002-2009) and then at East Carolina from 2010-2014, hasn't given him a better grasp of big time, championship football. I think he can be a much better coach due to his intelligence and I want to see now if: 1....he can rally this team to finish this season strongly (and beating Texas now would be bigger than ever), 2....he can complete recruiting with Wheaton included.

Reactions: iasooner1
I'm really afraid OU is going to be looking at a slump for a few years. Hopefully its not going to be a Texas sized slump, but we may not be seeing the playoffs anytime soon

Reactions: CTOkie
After watching Alabama, Clemson and Georgia play, the gap between them and OU seems even wider.
Safe to say now that a win over Texas could do wonders for OU and its coaches and players.

After watching Alabama, Clemson and Georgia play, the gap between them and OU seems even wider.
Safe to say now that a win over Texas could do wonders for OU and its coaches and players.
I think they need more losses than wins, at this stage

To play at an even level vs KSU and ISU the last 4 seasons, when you are getting your handpick of players relative to them, shows major foundation issues

Team lacks discipline and shows up in the penalty stats the last 4 years

Strength coach. The team looks physically unimpressive and continually wilt in the 2nd half.

How were other schools able to work around COVID?

I mentioned this in another thread after last week's collapse. I questioned if it was Bedenbaugh or Schmitty most responsible for the O'Lines for the several years prior to the past two. Seems like we've got a lot of linemen breathing out of their mouths these days, a sure sign of conditioning. Not a good reflection of the new S&C coach.

Last edited:
Definitely a lack of conditioning.

The constant rotation of players on defense, doesn't allow for some to get a feel for the game.

The Oline is a serious head scratcher. They have experience, some have played at a high level. But none are now. They should be taking out, 1st and 2nd level, at will. RBs should have huge holes but get ran over by a guard, center and tackles getting pushed back.

The Dline without Perk and Redmond, is suffering. LB are playing decent but still some wiffs.

Safety and this is Grinch baby..... Sucks. Moving Bookie all over, is NOT the answer. He plays the Nickel, fairly decent. Until an ISU, says I'm putting my TE, on him. But once again. Where's the safety help????
Bookie not a safety, not a CB, quite rotating, these guys.

Rattler is playing about where or maybe a little better then I thought. But damn, his Oline sucks.

WR, can't septate and the lack of timing routes, shows. I think a lot could be fixed, if he practiced a few weeks, just on timing routes. Check downs, Do Not work with a bad Oline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT