ADVERTISEMENT

Riley w/ no injury updates (Thursday w/ Lincoln)

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
A fun answer about Bob Stoops interviewing him, but nothing more to the injury front.

Here ya go.

Any injury updates?
Yea, nothing, yet. We're gonna have some, definitely have a couple that are gonna go down to wire. We’ve got a couple that, you know, if we were playing today, would be probably be no, if we're playing Monday or Tuesday, would be probably yes. And so we'll see where they land.

O...K.

So Bob Stoops interviewed Lincoln Riley this week for Big Noon Kickoff. Riley was asked about how it compared to the job interviewing way back when following the 2014 season.

Awkward w/ Stoops interviewing you?
It wasn’t awkward. It was a lot more calm and easy than the job interview. He was, actually it was great. Honestly, it was just honestly kind of like us having conversations like we do. Probably one of the easier ones I've done. He’s a natural, he just felt like, talking to me, I mean being interviewed by a complete pro that's been doing it for 20-something years. He was awesome.

You guys will have to tell me how that goes. I'll already be in the stadium at that point whenever that interview is aired.

All the pageantry - did it alter game prep at all?
I don't think so. I mean it's, I think you can feel that there's something unique and special about this game, but other than a few minutes in a team meeting, I don't know, honestly, that this changed one part of my week for our guys. And I don't say that to knock down the importance of this game or the rivalry or the history at all. I just, you know, our job is to make sure that this year's version of this team and fans and everybody that loves Oklahoma has a great memory this year. And that's our jobs, so we've been trying to keep our focus there.

I think we've sorta seen that in the players' responses. It's cool 'n all, but they know everything is about Saturday afternoon when it's all said and done.

Final parting shot to the week...

You can see Bob’s statue out your window. Does this week let you know the impact you can have on college football, this program and the game in general?
I mean, I think it’s just one of those things, man, that you just do your best to stay in the moment. You guys always know I’m a big Tiger guy. If you’re Tiger winning the 2019 Masters, are you sitting there hitting shots or making putts thinking I’m trying to win the tournament, or are you just trying to play good golf? For me, it’s more of just, I know the power of this program and impact it can have on all kinds of people, myself included. I get that. But I know that to do what we want to do well as a group then we have to kind of stay locked in and stay on the task at hand and I think there’s just an understanding here. It’s one of the reasons in coaching, this is a destination place for players, it’s one of the ultimate places to come play because you know if you do it right here, it can be phenomenal for the group and great for the individuals associated with the group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.