ADVERTISEMENT

Riley & the NFL

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
I've read a few times that the NFL has been calling Lincoln and inquiring about his offense etc. Well today, Houston' ESP)N radio Sean Salisbury called LR one of the Top Ten offensive coaches calling games these days. He claims that the NFL is moving towards a wide open offense and NFL peeps are wanting to learn. He also said he big money will be thrown around to get Lincoln Riley.

It sounds like OU is going to have to pony up eventually.

If I remember correctly they also talked about that during the ISU telecast. I dont think LR would bolt to the NFL unless the money offer was so big he couldnt turn it down. Hopefully he is happy to be a HC at this point because I think eventually he knows OU will pony up big time.

I do find it interesting though that the NFL wants to learn his offense as that says a lot in terms of how LR is respected around football circles.

The NFL said the same thing about Chip Kelly's offense and he was shown the door after four seasons with two teams. I say Lincoln will be better off staying at OU, where the job security is much better than the NFL, and charge the NFL teams who come calling to inquire about his offense.

The flip side of that, who is wanting to know Mike Stoops defense?
One thing that confuses me about LR is that he knows how to exploit defenses and I would guess he knows a bad defense when he sees one. Then why does he not see how bad ours is?
Imagine what Riley's Offense could do to a MS Defense.
Boggles the mind.

Excellent point 67. Which actually concerns me. If he knows, and doesn't make changes, then he's beholding to Bob. He'll only be able to do this for so long and this may make him start to look for an escape and that NFL money might look pretty good.

If he does bolt, I hope it's up to Cleveland w/ the Bakerman.

The NFL said the same thing about Chip Kelly's offense and he was shown the door after four seasons with two teams. I say Lincoln will be better off staying at OU, where the job security is much better than the NFL, and charge the NFL teams who come calling to inquire about his offense.

I can't say with absolute certainty, but Chip's offenses seemed a little more gimmicky like Leach's. Way more spread on the line.

Ive been saying for a long time now that there is no way Riley will every fire Mike. He feels like he owes his job to Bob and he isn't going to fire Bob's brother. Mike will have to quit

Ive been saying for a long time now that there is no way Riley will every fire Mike. He feels like he owes his job to Bob and he isn't going to fire Bob's brother. Mike will have to quit

I have thought that since Riley took over. Considering when it all happened Riley had no time to even think about a new DC as the season was drawing near. Maybe it was all by design, Bob retiring when he did. He knew Mike would not be replaced, not enough time for a new DC to come in. Maybe OU making the playoffs last season saved Mike for another Season I don't know. I would like to think that if OU had not made the Playoffs and had not won a Big 12 Title that Mike would have been replaced at seasons end but I seriously doubt it would have happened.
I do believe that if his last name was not Stoops he would already be gone. It has to be some kind of Loyalty thing with Riley in regards to Bob. What else could it be?
Why can't Joe C. and Riley see how bad it is? Has to be Loyalty to Bob as for the life of me I cannot come up with any other reason.

Reactions: iasooner1

I agree. There is no way that he fires one of his players Uncle. Aint happening.

Reactions: iasooner1
I could see the Texas teams call Lincoln

Cowboys need WRs, Texans O-Line... my point is in the NFL, he'll need someone to supply him talent. In CFB, he can go get his own. While all of us know these things, it has to be very difficult to change

What would Nick Saban do? I thought so. End of problem.

Bitch slap him and send him packing I imagine and not after years of incompetence, more than likely mid season or after 1 yr but I doubt Saban would ever hire someone like MS in the first place. Saban demands excellence out of his players and staff and I think thats lacking at OU and has been for a long time.

Reactions: Oklabama
I can't help but think that someday in LR's career he will feel that pull to go prove himself in the NFL. Especially if he continues to be successful at OU. Who knows if he will take that leap or not. Bob never did and had chances. Maybe in the end he knew he had much better job security at OU and could build a legacy. Hopefully LR thinks the same way.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT