ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT CARD: Baylor

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
OFFENSE:

QB: Caleb Williams - 25 - I'm still absolutely baffled he was benched (unless his hand was worse than at half) but he didn't play well, no doubt.
RB: Kennedy Brooks - 78 - I thought he ran pretty well for the most part and deserved more carries.
WR: Jadon Haselwood - 72 - Blocking was good, never had a role in the passing game.
WR: Marvin Mims - 60 - The pass interference was tough but I'd sure like to see him fight for that a bit more.
WR: Drake Stoops - 55 - Had a key drop on the second drive, got beaten on a few blocks - just wasn't the guy we've seen.
TE: Brayden Willis - 50 - Bad hold cost Oklahoma in the third quarter, really the only time I noticed him.
OT: Anton Harrison - 55 - Thought he was ok for parts of the day but was never aggressive out there.
OG: Marquis Hayes - 40 - Oklahoma just got massacred through the middle.
C: Andrew Raym - 30 - Rinse.
OG: Chris Murray - 40 - Repeat.
OT: Tyrese Robinson - 60 - Thought he was OU's best OL on the day but again no one up front will think fondly of this game.

Offensive Average: 51.4 (565)

DEFENSE:

DE: Isaiah Thomas - 77 - Really had an outstanding day though he clearly faded a bit in the second half.
NT: Perrion Winfrey - 50 - That personal foul felt like a turning point in the game and he just isn't making plays.
DT: Jalen Redmond - 63 - Thought he had some good moments but missed a few plays that were there to be had.
RUSH: Nik Bonitto - 84 - I thought he might have had a great day if even of a handful of his muggings had drawn flags.
LB: David Ugwoegbu - 80 - I thought he was great in the run game early on but tired and thought he may have missed some run fits badly in the second half (need to watch more to see).
LB: Brian Asamoah - 92 - Player of the game for Oklahoma.
NB: Justin Broiles - 71 - Wasn't awful but man he was just short of a few key plays.
CB: Key Lawrence - 63 - Other than one brutal drive he was good, but that one drive was BRUTAL.
CB: D.J. Graham - 74 - Got cooked early by Thornton but other than that, thought it was a solid day.
S: Pat Fields - 72 - Oklahoma got lucky that Bohanon missed Thornton on the early 4th and goal.
S: Delarrin Turner-Yell - 60 - He missed a few tackles today and just looked to be letting things get outside of him too often.

Defensive Average: 71.5 (786)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Gabe Brkic - 20 - HOWLER of a day.
P: Michael Turk - 93 - Hit some absolute boomers, was a weapon in this game and could have been a bigger one.
KR: Mario Williams - N/A
KR: Marvin Mims - N/A
PR: Marvin Mims - N/A

Special Teams Average: 56.5 (113)

Key Reserves:

QB: Spencer Rattler - 60 - What happened wasn't on him, it was unfair to throw him out there in a situation he was ill-suited to.
RB: Eric Gray - 72 - Nice play on the near touchdown, maybe some more looks his way in the passing game - good things SEEM to happen.
WR: Mario Williams - 50 - Just couldn't create any separation offensively but I don't think they did much to create space for him.
WR: Mike Woods - 74 - A rare bright spot on the offense, he got things going.
LB: Danny Stutsman - 73 - Came up and filled on the run well a few times, looked to have had a solid day.
CB: Woodi Washington - 81 - Felt like Oklahoma's entire secondary was more stable with Washington on the field.

Reserves Average: 68.3 (410)

Team Average: 62.5 (1874)

My Team Grade:

Breakdown: I thought that this game would either be the moment Oklahoma grew up or we'd get the same team that we'd seen through the first nine weeks and they'd lose to a game Baylor bunch. Well, I bet on the former in staff picks, and we all saw the latter.

This team is clearly just never going to reach the level we all thought in the preseason. They still have plenty of good things in front of them and in the chaos that November is likely to produce, who knows what can happen from there but the reality is this team just isn't up to snuff. It isn't and never will be IMO. The defense played better but still struggles with missed tackles and I think it's largely about them still not having the length and speed they need. Watching Baylor's backs reverse direction and then outrun Washington, Turner-Yell and most of Oklahoma's secondary or former Baylor linebacker Abram Smith outrun Oklahoma's entire defense? That's a problem.

Still though the defense wasn't the problem here, Oklahoma can't seem to figure out Dave Aranda and at this point it's no longer a coincidence or a talent issue - as it was in the Sugar Bowl. The Sooners did nothing to help their young quarterback settle into the first serious road situation he has faced. As mentioned he hit Eric Gray once and found some positives but there just wasn't enough happening to give Williams options with the ball.

The bottom line, coming off a week of getting healthy, getting rested, it's just an absolutely abysmal performance offensively. The defense was ok but but probably asked to do too much in the second half.

And no, Spencer Rattler had no business being in that game - that's not about him, that's about a game that wasn't suited for his talents whatsoever.

Scoring Standard:

100-82: Playoff Contender
82-74: Big 12 Title Contender
74-65: Bowl Game Participant
65-0: 'I'll be hoooome for Christmas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.