ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting after Spring game

Belldozer1

Sooner starter
Aug 20, 2014
I’m just curious about everyone’s thoughts or expectations on recruiting after the Spring game. I’ll be totally honest, I’m really surprised that we don’t have some commits following that game and all that went into it. I’m not alarmed per se but OU coaching staff and support staff really pulled out all of the stops and put on a great showing.

Recruiting is obviously way different than it was even a year ago. I like Venables’ approach, it makes sense to me and I understand Venables wanting kids that want to be here. Seems like a lot of kids may be just waiting around seeing what they can get rather than just coming out and committing to a team they like. Reviewing the Rivals recruiting rankings it’s seems like this is really across the board, not specific to just OU.

I hope we don’t see a bottleneck of recruits waiting until the very end to commit but we very well may

Last edited:
There are a lot of things that are different now, and there's not much way of knowing how it will shake out. The positives, we are headed for the SEC and that's attractive to more recruits than are discouraged by it. And BV is a great recruiter, and has put together a staff that isn't just great at it, but they're also very onboard with his goal of a player centric approach to holistic recruiting approach. I.E. we're not just here to make you a great player, but a better human being.

The negative is the whole issue of NIL, and how that's going to impact OUr final class product. Then there's this whole approach about not letting a player commit, until he's ready to quit making visits elsewhere. It was that way most places years ago, but is different from most opposing programs these days. There's really no way of knowing how that's going to impact how recruiting finishes. We're going to be rear loaded in the cycle. We should retain more who commit. I just don't think you can predict. The elite guys, that you need to be an elite program, are likely going to making big NIL bucks. Will we be able to keep up.

Just a lot of uncertainty.

Reactions: Belldozer1
There are a lot of things that are different now, and there's not much way of knowing how it will shake out. The positives, we are headed for the SEC and that's attractive to more recruits than are discouraged by it. And BV is a great recruiter, and has put together a staff that isn't just great at it, but they're also very onboard with his goal of a player centric approach to holistic recruiting approach. I.E. we're not just here to make you a great player, but a better human being.

The negative is the whole issue of NIL, and how that's going to impact OUr final class product. Then there's this whole approach about not letting a player commit, until he's ready to quit making visits elsewhere. It was that way most places years ago, but is different from most opposing programs these days. There's really no way of knowing how that's going to impact how recruiting finishes. We're going to be rear loaded in the cycle. We should retain more who commit. I just don't think you can predict. The elite guys, that you need to be an elite program, are likely going to making big NIL bucks. Will we be able to keep up.

Just a lot of uncertainty.
Alot of the "uncertainty" is these kids just can't perform not only at collegiate level much less the professional level. We don't care though.

Reactions: Belldozer1
About the only positive thing I see for now is at least there are scholarship limits.

About the only positive thing I see for now is at least there are scholarship limits.
Don't fool yourself. NIL will silently take care of highly rated walk-ons. One of the major concerns now is unlimited unbridled cash surrounding 5* players. Who needs a scholarship when a third party will pick up the cost?

ADVERTISEMENT