ADVERTISEMENT

Re-watched the Tennessee game last night. Uh...well....

basso

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2005
Dallas
Last year I sat up in a suite and watched this game and I thought at the time that it was a real struggle for us. While the score did not seem close I was not convinced that we were very dominant or at least dominant for all or most of the game. We had holes (as we found out) but they were very glaring in this game. While beating a dead horse (since he is gone) it was very evident that Huepel was as predictable as Hillary Clinton. UT had 8 men in the box for most of the game and many many times TK was running for his life as the dline for UT was blowing us up at the point of attack. Its a scary thought as they had many freshman on that line rotation and we were senior laden. Now we wore them out in the second half but this was more of a product of turnovers more than anything. MOST of the kids from that line come back. Most of the kids on our line are gone. Look for Orlando Brown to get welcomed to college football. The UT line gave us fits last year. They blew us up many, many times. Again...they got tired.....BUT they are a year older and they have even more depth.IF we keep BM off his back we have a chance.as he will have to make many many throws to win this game. We have the skilled players to make a good run at it but not the line.

Our new line......has never seen 102 thousand red necks before screaming at the top of their lungs. They will be wide eyed, confused and freaking out as communication will be nil and I mean nil...which is bad news for a line in their second game of the season. UT will pin their ears back and attack. They will risk it all against our O and they will not be afraid to take chances. Its not like we dominated them last year and they will be ready.

Advantage UT...by a very wide margin. Unless we spread them out we will be in deep trouble on short yardage plays. We will be held to under 100 yards on the ground.Could get real ugly if our receivers do not create space. YES we have that advantage but it wont matter.

Stoops and his d. We will miss Phillips. I will say this again. We will miss Phillips. Okay so for most of the game Stoops let his D attack the line of scrimmage with all kinds of crazy blitz packages. Striker was all over the place and the d looked very, very salty.....when attacking. AS soon as we sat back and relaxed coverages UT went right to the outside with JW ten yards off the ball they moved the ball. WE were all over the QB and I don't understand why we let off the gas. Sure they started to throw deep on JW but the QB was rattled and we should have kept knocking the snot out of him. I quote Herbie here and he said OU had one of the best D's in the country. We all know what happened when we got spread out though. That being said the right side of the UT line were Freshmen and we attacked it. The d line was active and LB's were making plays all over the field. And to be honest outside of JW our secondary play pretty damn good. YES JW made some plays but the writing was on the wall with his soft coverage.

Advantage UT.... UT is big....very big and a year older. Losing Phillips will hurt us as I do believe they will run right up our gut to start the game.3-4 defense is predicated on the nose tackle taking up two blockers to free up the LB's to make plays. This will be key. Matter of fact it will decide the game. as far as I am concerned. If they can move the ball on the ground we are toast. The first drive is critical for us to make a stop as they will have the crowd all over our ass. Could be a really long night for us if stoops sits back in soft coverage instead of attacking the line. Tempo is critical and we have to dictate it. Sadly I just don't see it happening. Our secondary will be better but what does it matter if we cant stop the run?

I don't want to drag this out but I just don't think we have the lines to compete in this game for 4 quarters. I think Butch tries to shorten the game by grinding it out on the ground and running our 3-4 into dirt. 3-4 is not built for SEC grind it out style of play and if I were Butch I would hand it off all damn night. Right up the middle.

Ugh.

I love my Sooners but I just don't think we can get this done. Also this is just an assessment from the UT game of last year. Just an opinion as I am not an expert but I do know some football. That being said I will be at the game just praying to get out alive.

Deliverance part two. Now where is my banjo? SQUEAL!!!!!

Reactions: T-Gib
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.