ADVERTISEMENT

RB philosophy, Lebby history, and recruiting?

Quatz

Gold Member
May 4, 2023
So @Jesse Crittenden just wrote up a piece on DeMarco looking for a 'bell cow' back like Gray was last year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Lebby's history and philosophy been to feature at least 2 strong backs and spread the wealth? Maybe I'm thinking of WR's, but I thought he liked to keep the fresh and rotate them regularly when there are breaks in the up-tempo flow ie clock stoppages, etc. I was under the impression that last year's use of Gray was similar to Brayden Willis - focus on the best players you have available. The depth of players you can trust just wasn't there. I'd love some clarification on that.

I personally like the RB by committee approach for a few reasons. It not only keeps players fresh through the game, but it also gets more kids valuable reps, which does a few things in my eyes. It develops that depth so that if someone goes down with injury, there's not as big a big drop-off. It keeps kids engaged in the game plan. And in terms of recruiting and losing kids to the transfer portal, it gives kids more hope of seeing the field and getting their shot earlier.

I guess in terms of recruiting, I could see the opposite pitch being appealing: "Come to OU and you could be THE guy and rush for 1000+ yards." What do y'all think you'd rather hear or is more important - early playing time or the chance to be THE guy?

@Parker Thune I'd love to hear your thoughts re: Lebby's history and what is being pitched to recruits.

Reactions: Dastardly Deed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News