ADVERTISEMENT

RB Kalib Hicks commits to OU

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
4-star, 6'0" 200 lbs. from Denton, Texas, ran for 1,448 yards and 18 touchdowns. Alabama, Miami, Arkansas and TCU offered him. He's the number 24 rated back in the 2023 class.
Including the spring roster, 2 new walk-ons and the 2022 and 2023 classes, I count a total of 11 running backs.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I am assuming that all the 3 stars are because evaluations have not been completed on these guys? If they are great 3 stars, there is no problem with it. Just noticed our average star ranking is a lot lower than usual. Not that big of a deal, just curious as to your thoughts?

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
I am assuming that all the 3 stars are because evaluations have not been completed on these guys? If they are great 3 stars, there is no problem with it. Just noticed our average star ranking is a lot lower than usual. Not that big of a deal, just curious as to your thoughts?
All I can say is that I personally believe that if Venables and his staff want a player to come to OU, that's good enough of a "rating"
for me.
Scottsdale, I noticed that Hicks gets a lot of extra yardage after being hit and will carry defenders along the way. Noticed that OU's recruiting ranking went from number 41 to 31 with the Hicks addition.

All I can say is that I personally believe that if Venables and his staff want a player to come to OU, that's good enough of a "rating"
for me.
Scottsdale, I noticed that Hicks gets a lot of extra yardage after being hit and will carry defenders along the way. Noticed that OU's recruiting ranking went from number 41 to 31 with the Hicks addition.
I agree wholeheartedly about if Venables likes them, I am satisfied. I am to the point where I care much more about development than star rating. It will all even out I believe. Riley went much more for star power it seems. The opposite of his approach is welcome by me at this point.

for me.
Apparently, Murray is very high on Hicks for several reasons. Hicks apparently walked into the locker room as if he knew everyone and interacted very well with future teammates. He had many questions and has a very good work ethic. His grades are supposed to be good with a keen interested in his education. If he adds 20+lbs. he will be a hard tackle and will be able to take some knocks.

Well, we could buy 5 * players like A&M. Oh wait, no natties for over 60 years. Nevermind, that would make us aggies.

I will admit that to compete as a playoff team, OU must bring recruiting up to the level of Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and now, ATM.....but the NIL money grab may not let that happen.

The closer we get to contract signing brother the stars will pick up. 😉

I will admit that to compete as a playoff team, OU must bring recruiting up to the level of Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and now, ATM.....but the NIL money grab may not let that happen.
I think nil has killed cfb. And more importantly the fans who are it's biggest supporters.

Apparently, Murray is very high on Hicks for several reasons. Hicks apparently walked into the locker room as if he knew everyone and interacted very well with future teammates. He had many questions and has a very good work ethic. His grades are supposed to be good with a keen interested in his education. If he adds 20+lbs. he will be a hard tackle and will be able to take some knocks.
That’s the kind of guy we want.

That talent gap can be closed to some measure by coaching them up better. OU has had some very good talent that exceeded their "stars". Alabama, Clemson and Georgia gets the best out of those stars by coaching them up right. I think we have a coaching staff that understands what it takes to build a program that competes at the top. OU will compete in the NIL category. There are efforts being made almost everyday to load the coffers of 1Oklahoma. I will say again: Thad Turnipseed has energy and ideas.

That talent gap can be closed to some measure by coaching them up better. OU has had some very good talent that exceeded their "stars". Alabama, Clemson and Georgia gets the best out of those stars by coaching them up right. I think we have a coaching staff that understands what it takes to build a program that competes at the top. OU will compete in the NIL category. There are efforts being made almost everyday to load the coffers of 1Oklahoma. I will say again: Thad Turnipseed has energy and ideas.
Very true especially since I neglected to mention how "coached down" Riley's teams were, especially last season. I have every reason to believe Venables and his staff will definitely coach their players up.

If these 3-star kids play well and get us into a playoff spot. It will not take long before the 5-star kids jump on board.

Heck, even Cincinnati has already signed four 4-stars and currently has the #3 ranked 2023 class.

To a degree, but the fact that Cincinnati has already signed four 4-star recruits is very impressive.
Agree. And it helps that Cincinnati is in a talent-rich area (8 from Ohio including a 4-star, 3 from neighboring Michigan including two 4-star, and one 4-star from neighboring Indiana).
Cincy has done a great job in elevating its program over the years, especially considering it competes with Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame and the rest of the Big Ten for talent.
If this 2023 class is any indication, Cincy can be a perennial top 20 team as it enters the Big 12.

I got a feeling that Cincy and BYU will take over the B12 when OU and Tx leave.

CT, you might feel different if you lived in Oklahoma now. Just saying.
I have lived in Oklahoma (Tulsa), I have attended OU, I have family in Norman, OKC, Duncan and Lindsey with both my parents having been born and raised in Oklahoma (Dewey and Wirt) and they attended college at Phillips Univ. in Enid.
My late grandfather attended OSU as did two cousins and another cousin graduated from OU.
When I was ten, I wrote a letter to an OSU player in 1958 who shared my first and last name. He sent me a nice letter with an autographed football program.
My grandmother taught Thurman Pitchlynn at Wewoka HS who played for OU in the early 1960's
Oklahoma is a special place for me with lots of great memories. Much of my great childhood was in Oklahoma, mostly while living in Texas, where I was born.
I just don't get too caught up in the intensity or "hatred" for OSU and I hope the Cowboys win every game but one each season. Besides, I feel there's already enough divisiveness in our country.

I have lived in Oklahoma (Tulsa), I have attended OU, I have family in Norman, OKC, Duncan and Lindsey with both my parents having been born and raised in Oklahoma (Dewey and Wirt) and they attended college at Phillips Univ. in Enid.
My late grandfather attended OSU as did two cousins and another cousin graduated from OU.
When I was ten, I wrote a letter to an OSU player in 1958 who shared my first and last name. He sent me a nice letter with an autographed football program.
My grandmother taught Thurman Pitchlynn at Wewoka HS who played for OU in the early 1960's
Oklahoma is a special place for me with lots of great memories. Much of my great childhood was in Oklahoma, mostly while living in Texas, where I was born.
I just don't get too caught up in the intensity or "hatred" for OSU and I hope the Cowboys win every game but one each season. Besides, I feel there's already enough divisiveness in our country.
I pretty much knew all that about you, CT. But when you’re living out of the state, it’s different. Here’s the deal. When OU joins the SEC and isn’t as successful as we have been for the last two decades, I don’t want the Cowboy fans taking our place as B12 top dog. I know what to expect if that happens and I don’t care if Oklahoma State ever wins another game once we are no longer a member of the B12. But that’s just me.

Last edited:
I pretty much knew all that about you, CT. But when you’re living out of the state, it’s different. Here’s the deal. When OU joins the SEC and isn’t as successful as we have been for the last two decades, I don’t want the Cowboy fans taking our place as B12 top dog. I know what to expect if that happens and I don’t care if Oklahoma State ever wins another game once we are no longer a member of the B12. But that’s just me.
I agree. And I said in my Sunday post that I wanted OSU to be the Big 12's dominate team.....as long as OU can succeed in the SEC.
And what conference wants OSU to join ?

OU now has a coach who has recruited in the southeast and is familiar with recruiting in Texas.....and seems to be aware of the importance in recruiting in-state. That said, I do not see OU becoming a Missouri or Arkansas entity after joining the SEC. OU's legacy dwarfs that of Missouri and Arkansas.....and ATM as well.
After OU's failures in the postseason and CFB playoffs against southern teams.....LSU, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Clemson....I believe OU realized its recruiting had to attract a higher talent level and that SEC membership was the best way to achieve it.
If my beliefs prove valid and OU becomes a prominent SEC power, it won't matter what OSU does in the Big 12.

I have noticed a trend here in my part of the woods. I go to a sport bar that is very popular with the age group of say, 40 to 70. It is a large place and has a huge crowd of "regulars" with a very broad college affiliation. Many coaches and donor types gather to compare notes. The interest of this group applies both to pros and college and often deep discussions of how players will transition to the pros. There are a few Sooners in this crowd. I used to get asked about Kyler, Baker, Adrian & Trent Williams a lot. Riley had an equal following for his offensive prowess but I caught equal amounts of grief over his complete lack of producing even an average defense. A topic I could not defend very well. I am chatting with guys that know the game so no bullshitting my way out of the subject matter. Over the last six months Brent Venables has dominated OU discussions. Everyone is in agreement that Brent's infectious energy and positivity will eventually elevate OU to elite status and the key to the time it takes is elite recruiting. I was recently told that Isaiah Simmons addressed some high school football players in the greater Phoenix area. He made the statement that Brent Venables is ultimately responsible for his being where he is today. He told this group that if Brent comes knocking they better answer the door.

I keep hearing from the administrative types in this group that maintains both Saban and Sweeney would not have enjoyed the success they have had without the program builder. The guys that cultivate big money donors, etc. In both cases, Alabama and Clemson, Thad Turnipseed was Executive Director of Football Admin at the point of success.

OU is on the right track. MEMO TO JOE C : Schedule a home and home with USC

ADVERTISEMENT