ADVERTISEMENT

Quoteboard (Stoops, White, Willis, Johnson, Gabriel, Broiles)

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
I was with Willis and White so long, I didn't even know Jeffery Johnson was there last night.

Again, no media Tues evening.

Drake Stoops
Leadership?
Importance of leadership right now: Leadership is definitely essential right now. We need to show the younger guys that this isn’t the end of the world. We’re going to keep working hard and going back to work. We have to put that behind us and focus on Kansas now. It’s going to be big for leaders like myself and Brayden Willis, guys like Justin Broiles on defense, David Ugwoegbu, just older guys who have been there before and lost tough games before. Just lead the way and show this isn’t the end of the world.

Getting DG back?
It would mean a lot. Dillon is obviously a great player. He led us to a real good start, a real strong start, and his knowledge of the offense and his ability to read a defense and throw the ball accurately is definitely something we’ll enjoy having. I’m excited to see what he does.

Advice from Papa Stoops?
Definitely just step up, be a leader and the guys need you right now. He’s been there. He’s been through tough losses before. He knows how that can go and how younger guys need to be led. Understand that this isn’t the end of the world. He tells me to step up and be a leader. At the end of the day, he’s there for me and always supports us. I appreciate that.

Jeffery Johnson
WTF, dude?
I feel you have to have perspective. Everyone has dreams and goals. Obviously, circumstances happen that stop you from reaching those goals. I also feel like you have to be able to respond to adversity and that’s what we are going through right now. I feel like the goal for us is how we’re gonna respond after the way things have gone the last few weeks.

Tired?
I don’t think that necessarily. I just think having a new team and a new set of coaches and big group of people that are new to the program, I think everyone is bought in and willing to do what it takes, but something is missing and we’re trying to figure that out. I think it’s going to take a little bit more.

Justin Broiles
Tired?
I mean we’re not gonna sit here and make no excuses. We came in, we lost. Badly. So I mean if fatigue was the issue we gotta run some more. So I’ll make sure if that’s what our head coach thinks I’ll relay that to the guys and let them understand, ‘hey, we look tired. We need to do some more conditioning if that’s what it is.’ But I think we just lost.

Last three weeks?
Execution. It’s not the scheme, it’s not anything. We’ve just got to execute. We’ve got to put more time in and study and execute so we can know our job and execute at a high level. It’s that simple. When we don’t play our best, we don’t execute. When we play our best, we execute. So what we’ve got to do is execute, understand the scheme, study the scheme and go on about our day. We should be alright.

BV's message?
Just keep the faith. Just keep the faith. Remain confident in the standard and the beliefs and the values of this program. It’s not like we changed anything from Week 3 to now. We’ve just got to continue to buy in, continue to hunker down on those disciplines and small details and we’ll be alright.

DaShaun White
BWill the beast?
We had kind of a leadership meeting today and talked about some guys who are leaders on this team, outside your position group that you respect a lot, and the first name that immediately came to my mind was Brayden Willis. I haven't gotten to watch the YouTube copy yet of the offense, but I think that whatever you guys saw is exactly what I'm expecting. He's just such a selfless guy. He's a vocal guy. He knows exactly what to say. He leads by example. Everything that's coming for him, he's worked for it and earned it.

Leadership council?
It's not really players-only. Just a lot of things. Specifically, how we want to handle the locker room, especially being in uncharted waters of 3-3. Over the last few years, we haven't really had a start like this. The leaders wanted to band together and make sure that we're as strong now as when we started, if not stronger.

Worried about the young guys?
I think that's something that every locker room kind of has to deal with. I think that, in my five years here, this is the least I've ever dealt with it. Maybe it's because I'm older and guys are more comfortable telling me something, but I really don't get that feeling at all.

Dude, WTF has happened?
I couldn't tell you, being quite honest with you. I just know that at the end of the day, we're take it right back to work and figure it out. It's one of those things where Coach Venables puts it in an illustration to us of the guy kind of digging through, digging through and trying to get to the diamond. It gets to a point that he gives up, and little does he know that if he hit that thing one or two more times he's going to strike a diamond. It's one of those things where we're going to keep throwing work at it. It's cliché, but that's literally what we're doing.

Still stuff to play for?
Well, regardless of wins and losses, I love this game. And I know a lot of these guys love this game, love to play the game together. And so if you don't have drive to do something that you can only do — what is it? — 12 Saturdays in the year, something that you prepare a year for and you only get 12 opportunities and that's a problem that I can’t, you know, (understand).

Kip Lewis?
Really happy for Kip. I really was. He got got in there, got in the backfield, he’s playing fast. He didn’t get a lot of snaps. But he made the most of ‘em. It’s one of those deals like, a few weeks ago, I didn't know if I would be able to tell you that he would get in there and he just playing that fast, looking that good? We called him up, you could kind of see he was he's more ready than any of us kind of thought. So, really proud of Kip.

Brayden Willis
Confidence issues?
I think it starts with just remembering all the good things that we’ve done in building up. I think the confidence comes from the preparation. I think we’ve done a really good job of preparing. Sometimes it doesn’t always marry up. Sometimes it takes a little bit. Our preparation throughout the spring and winter workouts has been great. Hopefully, we keep chipping away at it, and we break through.

Young dudes flinching?
No, it’s just a main point (to emphasize). The young guys have been great. The difference in the ages we have on this team, the structure is a lot different than what we’ve had in the years. I think it’s just the principle of getting through to the young guys because I know how I was when I was a young guy. Just making sure I’m reaching all of them and not let any thoughts wander and not let any negative thoughts linger.

Why is this week different?
I think the biggest the biggest thing is just going back to our principals and our standard. I think that’s the biggest thing. Maybe along the way somewhere we have drifted from that, and we’re just going to continue to make sure that the things that are important in this program, the pillars that we set way back when, we’re gonna make sure that those are still prevalent and we’re gonna make sure to lean on them even harder now.

Tired?
I’m a guy, I’m a no-excuse guy. I’m one of those guys that I believe that no matter if we’re mentally tired or not, everyone should be able to pick it up on game day. Maybe throughout the year, you cut down a little bit, take care of our bodies a little bit better. At the end of the day, it’s no excuse. we’ve just got to play better.

Wildcat experience?
It was definitely a surreal moment. I talked about it on my podcast. I was out there at one point in time, we were to the Texas side and it was rocking and it was loud, and I was like,’ Wow. I’m really playing wildcat quarterback right now.’ It was a surreal feeling, especially in that game that meant so much to me. It was different but it was definitely enjoyable.

Relax? Playing loose?
“I think that the biggest thing for our offense right now actually is to play loose. Just play loose and relaxed a little bit, and just go out and make plays. That’s the biggest thing. We have to go out and expect to make plays and make those plays. We can’t wait on anybody else to make plays. so I think that’s going to be a big emphasis this week is going out and attacking the opportunities we get, everybody. Cause there’s gonna be plenty of them, there always is, so we have to make sure we stay on top of that.

Dillon Gabriel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.