ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts on the Game

Indy_Sooner22

Gold Member
Nov 28, 2021
Wow. What a bizarre, frustrating, and incredible performance all wrapped in one game. Amazing efforts by Hawk, R Mason, and Kip to scrap and claw a path to victory. Really proud of the defense for not giving up and continuing to battle. A few thoughts:

1. Again, really proud of the defense. I don’t think they played particularly well, but they found a way when it mattered. Gave up almost 500 yards of offense, gave Thorne 300 yards and 3 TDs through the air, also think they struggled with the physicality of Auburns run game. With all that said, they played opportunistic football and made big plays when it counted.

2. DBs gave some 2018 vibes tonight. Credit to Auburns WRs…they have some dudes. Coleman will be a first rounder in a few years, he’s absurdly talented (watch him run down Kip on the pick six). Really disappointed by #4, just wasn’t his game tonight. #5 and #26 struggled with vertical coverage, but honestly I just think those guys don’t have the elite speed to cover vertical routes down the field.

3. Just a general observation and maybe it’s just me. Did anyone else think Auburn looked massive on both fronts versus our guys? Felt like their OL towered over DL. Think we are still a few years away from being ready in the trenches to really compete in the SEC.

4. Was a really undisciplined game tonight. Thought the refs weren’t great, but 10 penalties on the road is a losing recipe. The Thompson false start when we had a chance to ice the game with 1 first down is inexcusable. Could’ve cost OU the game. I like Brent, but something has to give with these penalties and mental mistakes in year 3.

5. Was really cool to see Hester make that catch. He’s been criticized this year and hasn’t had the career at OU that he has wanted, but it was awesome to see him make a big play when it counts. Perseverance pays off!

6. I’m excited for Hawk and his gutsy performance, but this offense is still a complete mess. OL is flat out bad. Tarquin and Hickman were smoked tonight. Physically, they look slow and overweight. They can’t move. Everyone is frustrated with the insistence on inside zone. I’m starting to wonder if they rely on that concept because the OL isn’t athletic enough to run anything else. Hawk didn’t help them out by holding the ball too long. Hawk also missed several open downfield routes by bailing maybe a tad early on the pocket. Obviously it’s his first start, he’ll get much better in that regard. Kid is still a gamer!

6. Tossing RPO out of the playbook? Good! Screen throw to Sharp on 3rd and 10+? No thank you! Just my opinion, still think this offense could be better tailored to Hawk’s strengths. More rollout/sprint out, quicker developing concepts, more creative (and sensible) screen designs. Just my opinion.

7. Last thought, a little in the weeds. I LOVED how aggressive BV and Zac were on the 2nd to last possession. They easily could’ve dropped 8 and sat in prevent. Instead they rolled the dice with some aggressive fronts and a few blitzes. Just loved the scheme and strategy in that spot.

To conclude, OU was outgained by almost 200 yards, doubled up on first downs by AU, and was dominated in time of possession. It’s pretty remarkable they came out with a win. Sooner magic indeed….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.