ADVERTISEMENT

Question regarding QB head to head competition

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
OK, I have a question. Help me to better understand something. Why is it that we often hear something simliar to this...

"QB so & so beat QB so & so (insert names) in a head to head game"

What am I missing? Neither of the two QBs play one another. They play against two completely different defenses. How is it we say as fans state this and some actually believe that the winning QB to be the better QB?

Reactions: veritas59
OK, I have a question. Help me to better understand something. Why is it that we often hear something simliar to this...

What am I missing? Neither of the two QBs play one another. They play against two completely different defenses. How is it we say as fans state this and some actually believe that the winning QB to be the better QB?

I think the head coach knows which QB is better by Spring and goes into Fall practice with that choice who can only lose the #1 by simply going backwards in the opinion of the head guy. All the other yak yak about head to head is for fans and talking heads. You don’t think Bob Stoops knew Baker was better than Trevor by the end of the Spring after watching him on the scout team the entire previous season?

Reactions: CTOkie
I think the head coach knows which QB is better by Spring and goes into Fall practice with that choice who can only lose the #1 by simply going backwards in the opinion of the head guy. All the other yak yak about head to head is for fans and talking heads. You don’t think Bob Stoops knew Baker was better than Trevor by the end of the Spring after watching him on the scout team the entire previous season?
It wouldn't surprise me if Riley already knows or at least has a good idea about who will start at QB next September.

It would be hard to speculate who is farther along...Kendall or Mordecai. I would have to see a large sampling of practices at this point. Rattler should be on back up duty next fall at any rate. He looks like he needs to bulk up some IMO.

You talking about QBs competing head-to-head on the same team? Or you talking about different teams play each other and try to claim the QB on the winning team is the best? I am taking your post as the latter, but most responses so far are talking as if comparing QBs on the same team competing for the starting job.

You talking about QBs competing head-to-head on the same team? Or you talking about different teams play each other and try to claim the QB on the winning team is the best? I am taking your post as the latter, but most responses so far are talking as if comparing QBs on the same team competing for the starting job.

Damn, you’re right, Billy. I have nothing now. LOL

Reactions: JConXtsy

That's what I was thinking too.
If that is correct, then my opinion on the answer is the QB is always declared as the winning QB. QB's are recognized by their win/loss records. No validity to it, just that's what happens when discussing teams.

Reactions: BillyRay
That's what I was thinking too.
If that is correct, then my opinion on the answer is the QB is always declared as the winning QB. QB's are recognized by their win/loss records. No validity to it, just that's what happens when discussing teams.
I think that's true sometimes. But not always. Think of all the National Titles that Bama has won over this last decade or so. I don't think any one of those teams had a QB that was even close to being considered the best in the country.
And even if Bama does beat OU in the Orange Bowl. I don't think that validates Tua as being the better QB. He simply is playing for a team that has stockpiled more talent than OU. Particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

I think that's true sometimes. But not always. Think of all the National Titles that Bama has won over this last decade or so. I don't think any one of those teams had a QB that was even close to being considered the best in the country.
And even if Bama does beat OU in the Orange Bowl. I don't think that validates Tua as being the better QB. He simply is playing for a team that has stockpiled more talent than OU. Particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

Don't disagree with you.
I was giving my reply to WNAS question in the original post.

Reactions: BillyRay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT