ADVERTISEMENT

Question about uniform numbers

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
And I realize this is really a needless concern, but it just strikes me as a little bit silly....
Why are jersey numbers seemingly assigned randomly?
Defensive linemen and linebackers can have single digit numbers or numbers in the teens.
Offensive guards and tackles can have numbers in the 50's.
One theory I have is that many players had numbers in high school that they want to maintain in college, so colleges coaches cater to their desire.
I am sure I will see more of this in OU's new 2022 recruiting class.

In 2020, they implemented a limit on duplicate jersey #s to 2 players maximum.

Only the offense has guides for numbering, but they are only "strongly recommended." (Pages 23-24, FR-21 Rule Book).

Ends (WRs and TEs) - 80-99
Tackles - 70-79
Guards - 60-69
Snapper - 50-59
Backs (QBs, HBs, FBs) - 0-49

Now defense has traditionally worn these numbers, but there are no rules or recommendations, just tradition.

DBs - 20-49
DLs - 60-79
DLs and LBs - 90-99

On the 2021 Bowl roster, OU has 21 WRs and TEs listed. That already exceeds the suggested 20 #s for WRs and TEs.
There are 18 OLs, or just 2 shy of the 20 allotted.
There are 113 players on that roster as well.

Reactions: iasooner2000
In 2020, they implemented a limit on duplicate jersey #s to 2 players maximum.

Only the offense has guides for numbering, but they are only "strongly recommended." (Pages 23-24, FR-21 Rule Book).

Ends (WRs and TEs) - 80-99
Tackles - 70-79
Guards - 60-69
Snapper - 50-59
Backs (QBs, HBs, FBs) - 0-49

Now defense has traditionally worn these numbers, but there are no rules or recommendations, just tradition.

DBs - 20-49
DLs - 60-79
DLs and LBs - 90-99

On the 2021 Bowl roster, OU has 21 WRs and TEs listed. That already exceeds the suggested 20 #s for WRs and TEs.
There are 18 OLs, or just 2 shy of the 20 allotted.
There are 113 players on that roster as well.
Understand all of that. Good job, BTW.
I just personally prefer some adherence to the FR-21 Rule Book.
I prefer:
QB's, DB's and WR's with numbers 1-19.
DB's, RB's, HB's with numbers 20-49.
LB's with numbers 30-59.
OG's, OT's with numbers 60-79.
Centers with numbers 50-59.
WR's, TE's with numbers 80-89.
DE's and DT's with 90-99, and 70-89. Granville Liggins' #66 was a neat exception when he changed from #93 after his sophomore year.

#50-79 are ineligible numbers, they can be position any position along the Oline. All other numbers are eligible and can play any of the other positions. On Defense it dosent matter they can wear any # they want.

Reactions: veritas59
Yeah, I agree that it looks cleaner that way. That's pretty easy for 55-man rosters in the NFL to meet.
Look at just the WR/TE combo though - 21 of them on the OU roster. Those are obviously going to have to go outside of the 80s.
I think those are the only position groups that wouldn't fit into that mold.

#50-79 are ineligible numbers, they can be position any position along the Oline. All other numbers are eligible and can play any of the other positions. On Defense it dosent matter they can wear any # they want.
This is the answer. If you wear one of these numbers and line up in an "eligible" position, you have to report as eligible. Otherwise, you're drawing a flag if you're downfield early, catch a pass, etc.. it's the only way the refs could possibly manage that part of the rules.

Can players of today use “retired” numbers ?
Why not have “honorary” retired numbers ? That is, numbers worn by players who represented the school and program well. The “honorary” numbers could be worn by current players, but there would be a special place to display them.
I believe OU has two numbers to do this with: Prentice Gautt and Bob Kalsu (38 and 77).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT