ADVERTISEMENT

Portal News

I am reserving judgement on this current transfer portal haul until it proves itself better than last year's haul. So I won't know until a few games have been played into the 2023 season how productive the transfers will be.
On paper, it looks to be better than last season.... and hopefully it can make OU a better team, unlike a year ago.

I'm glad we have starters back at all 3 levels of the D (bold below), but you have to question everyone that was part of last year's abysmal D and returnees who couldn't beat out the guys getting run off the field. Tentative 2 deep that will absolutely looked flawed by fall (I can see more of the frosh such as Johnson and Vickers claiming starting jobs). Tech transfer Pearson is a big hitter and Bowen and Bowman should also be headhunters back there, which will hopefully set a more aggressive tone overall. Love Picciotti's film where he just blows up backfields, but that's a young LB corps. Trotting out the same DL that got inadequate pressure isn't any kind of change, although I'm high on Downs. We now have a lot of bodies on the DL - surely someone new steps up (like the kid out of TN - Wein - but who knows; Adebawore looks way too lean even tho' he did well at the all-star game). Defense transfer-wise I'd only count on Pearson, McCullough (probably starts over Picciotti, just high on the latter) and Bothroyd (his containment looked awful in a Clemson game I watched him play in, although he had a couple of TFL). Stripling back?

DEDownsBothroyd
NGCoeKelly
DEGrimes(?)Adebawore
LB/CheetahKanakOmosigho
LBStutsmanCarter
LB/EdgePicciottiDasan McCullough
CBDolby/JucoMakari Vickers
CBWashingtonWagoner
SSBowmanJacobe Johnson
FSBowenGentry Williams?
NickelPearson[Jaden Davis?]

We have made some nice additions to the team through the portal, but there are several really good defenders from UGA that just entered. Would like to see BV at least make a run at them, plus a 6'8 340lb OT from UGA is in the portal.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I love it that Brent has hugged the portal. Just a few months ago he was cold to it.

When you are rebuilding it is a blessing. If not for the Portal you would have to Recruit your way out of a mess like the old days, now you can speed up that rebuild with transfers while the recruits have time to develop. Its really a no brainer and cannot see why some Coaches hate it or didn't like it at first. I guess its because on the flip side of it you can also lose players to the Portal that you needed for depth. Cuts both I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT