ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Needs To Be Drained...Full of Sour Grapes!

Not sure if free agency is the correct wording as this would insinuate players leaving for paydays. But it's most definately changed CFB. I'm not willing to discount yet, but going forward, a HS commitment & signing a letter of intent has little to know meaning. The roster management has drastically changed. It now requires recruiting High Schools, Jr Colleges, and the Transfer Portal.

I think many players are being recruited over and told if you're unhappy, play better or hit the portal. I also see & understand the purpose was to protect the player that choses to play for a HC or a OC/DC and then see these guys bail on them at the drop of a hat. We're somewhat spoiled in that area. We have sooo much stability in our coaches, but many schools just cycle them in and out.

Reactions: davidmy14
After seeing the portal play out, most were second teamers wanting to start. In Rambo’s case, he played himself out of a job. Haselwood and Mims are the top dogs in the house for 2021. Rambo clearly knew it. Now it is LR and Grinch to fill in gaps depth wise. Also to engage good competition in spring camp.

Reactions: runningback43
After seeing the portal play out, most were second teamers wanting to start. In Rambo’s case, he played himself out of a job. Haselwood and Mims are the top dogs in the house for 2021. Rambo clearly knew it. Now it is LR and Grinch to fill in gaps depth wise. Also to engage good competition in spring camp.

My new principal is a big LSU fan, he walked in today with an OU pullover. Asked him if he finally came over to the good side. He said that his old school where he was asst principal Mims went there and sent the shirt to him. He raves about the Mims character and work ethic. Sure Rambo saw this to and knew his spot was being taken.

Reactions: newnasty
The portal can cut both ways obviously. I think though, it is a nice way to free up spots and create more competition and\or fill gaps. It is up to the coaches to be good recruiters. Now they need to keep that mentality year round and with members already on the team. This is not that different from Riley doing his best to keep the underclassmen making an impact on our team for next year. The portal can be an asset if the coaches have the ability to leverage it.

I think there are coaches using the portal as a way to clean up rosters. These were schools like Alabama who truly looked at scholarships and four 1-year scholarships. However, they were already doing that by encouraging players who weren't going to contribute to transfer.
I think as more and more players use the portal (Kendall is entering for the second time), more and more coaches are going to determine that they can't hang with non-contributing players for 4 or 5 years like they have in the past.
To compete, they are going to have to purge their rosters, too.
The ugly effects of money on the amateur game.

Reactions: CTOkie
The "portal" has changed the whole landscape of cfb. This is gonna take some getting used to, but then again, more and more these days I just love to fish more than anything. I'm afraid college football done passed me up. I'm good with it though. Family, friends and fishing does it for me. I'm out. Good luck to all.

Boomer says, "You can't quit me"
Sooner says, "I'll give you a week"

;)

The "portal" has changed the whole landscape of cfb. This is gonna take some getting used to, but then again, more and more these days I just love to fish more than anything. I'm afraid college football done passed me up. I'm good with it though. Family, friends and fishing does it for me. I'm out. Good luck to all.
Agree.....much like free agency and salary arbitration has done to baseball.
You will never again see MLB players staying with teams all of their careers or even past 5-6 years anymore and recruiting in CFB is even more of a hit-and-miss proposition than it's ever been.

Agree.....much like free agency and salary arbitration has done to baseball.
You will never again see MLB players staying with teams all of their careers or even past 5-6 years anymore and recruiting in CFB is even more of a hit-and-miss proposition than it's ever been.

It would be more fair if schools could attach Help Wanted ads to the portal. 😎

When I look at the transfer portals looming now, I would be surprised if Riley doesn't get at least two more players, especially with what's going on at Tennessee.

Yeah, I get it. The portal reflects what the culture in the USA is now. It was a good run but now it’s turned to shit. Time to turn off the news, close the gates, and ignore the noise and the bullshit permeating the culture.

The Portal is like a used car lot. Buyer beware.

Agreed. Cherry picking is the only option. But actually I think it's a tad better than recruiting HS kids. At least you can see how of the kid handles himself in a college setting w/o Mommy, Daddy etc. In addtion, you have more film.

ADVERTISEMENT