ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: How do you view the Sooners' post season possibilties?

How much hope to you have for OU to participate in the post season?

• I still have hope the Sooners have a chance to win the national title.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • I have hope that we will make the playoff and then, anybody has a chance to win a game.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • I think we can still make the final four, but not that we'll will a game.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think there is very little chance, and we'll need a lot of help elsewhere to get there.

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • No hope, no way.

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The only way OU makes the playoffs is to win out. Wins over 2 top 10 ranked teams and a win over a top 15, all consecutive.....should be a shoe in. I think a 1 loss ou team goes over a 1 loss bama team with our resume.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
The Texas loss will be a chained bowling ball around your neck in the deep end of the pool at the end of the year regardless.

No real chance, although I give us a shot to go undefeated.

Too many things need to happen for us to be in the top four.

Things certainly look a lot better than they did after the TX loss, mainly because our defense is playing pretty well.

TCU is not a world beater. They'll probably be favored against us, but the game is moving in the direction "pick 'em" status, and not the other way. If we can contain Boykin, I think Mayfield, Perine, and Mixon can get us enough points to win.

Throw in Baylor with a freshman, back-up QB, and suddenly it's not a fantasy that we can win those two games.

The game that I'm really having a problem convincing myself that we can win is at Boone Pickens... I don't like the way their defense matches up against our offense, and Rudolf is athletic enough to keep plays alive, and is good enough to exploit our questionable secondary.

On their home field, the Pokes will come out sky high, even if they have one or two losses. It's the same emotional dynamic as the RRR, except for this rivalry, I usually favor the home team. Too bad that, this year, this important advantage goes to the cowboys.

Need to get by a good Cyclone team though before any of the above matters.

I'll make my ballot public. I checked very little chance, but not because we'd need help if we were to win out. I just think we have little chance to do so. Not impossible, but we'll need to get/stay healthy across the board, and get better play from the O-line. IMHO, the last three weeks' offense has been a bit of a mirage. I'm not getting overly excited about how many yards we had and how many points we scored against a beat-up Kansas State and two terrible defenses in TTU and KU..... not saying they haven't improved, just that it's hard to know for sure based upon who we've played. I am encouraged by the play of the defense.

I'll make my ballot public. I checked very little chance, but not because we'd need help if we were to win out. I just think we have little chance to do so. Not impossible, but we'll need to get/stay healthy across the board, and get better play from the O-line. IMHO, the last three weeks' offense has been a bit of a mirage. I'm not getting overly excited about how many yards we had and how many points we scored against a beat-up Kansas State and two terrible defenses in TTU and KU..... not saying they haven't improved, just that it's hard to know for sure based upon who we've played. I am encouraged by the play of the defense.

Veritas I agree with you but look forward to being wrong. I am positive about the improvement the last few weeks but it is tempered considering the opponents. I would say for OU to control their own destiny did not seem like a possibility after failing to show up in Dallas but they do...

Veritas, I think I agree about all of that. Maybe. I am more encouraged than you seem to be, but I also totally agree about your summation of the lack of competence of the last three defenses we've played. It's a little sad to watch Snyder's team be so short of talent that we can run up and down the field against them like that. And their non quarterback status makes that even easier because they don't get any rest on the D side.

But I do like how the team is progressing. And I think they have a decent chance to win out. Baylor is likely the key. I think all three will be competitive games, but the last two Baylor games don't give a lot of confidence that it will be any different. The flip side is the Baylor really hasn't played anybody.

We need to stay healthy and get healthy.

I am less confident that we'll be in if we win out than you are. I may have to pull for FSU for the first time besides when they play Miami, than in a long time. And I'd like to see somebody beat Stanford.

This could be an all timer year for me if I pull for Oregon, Florida State and Michigan in the same season.

I guess that would make you guys the hair and belly button lint stuck in the drain last year?

good point, 8-5 for OU is a disappointment even unacceptable. Thanks for helping define the standards of what constitutes hair and belly lint stuck in the drain. How would you describe osu's history circling the drain with short and curlies?

Reactions: veritas59
Harry doesn't know what he is talking about. UT loss if OU runs the table after beating 3 top 10 (or 15) teams would make UT loss as meaningful as Ohio State loss to Va Tech last year or Stanford loss to NW this year. Committee clearly heavily influenced by end of year results against ranked teams. Only problem is if Stanford, Ohio State, Clemson and Ala. or LSU also don't lose then will depend completely on the "momentum" factor. Since all but Clemson also will have faced two or more high ranked teams in the final weeks it would take some luck. Just like in '75.

Who ever thought we'd be saying things like "beating Baylor will be the key"?

That's not a slight to our program, just a look at what Baylor has become under Briles. From the ultimate bottom dweller to top 5 contender. If my memory serves me correctly, I recall hearing something along the lines of the Bears not winning a Bix XII game until multiple seasons after the formation of the conference.

I'd like to see how Baylor looks with their new QB. However, I like our chances to win out. Whether that will be enough to make the playoffs, depends a lot on "how" we win out AND how many undefeated teams from major conferences there are.

Regarding "how" we win out...I think it would help our cause a lot if our defense can make an impression nationally the last 3 games. Exactly what that is...I'm not sure. But for example holding those 3 offenses to 30 or fewer points "might" be enough. Bottom line, it may come down to impressing the "Committee" that the B12 can play defense too. We'll see.

Clemson, Big10 winner (even 1 loss over us), and SEC champ not named Ole Miss are all in....that means we need both Stanford and ND to lose. Our hopes almost happened Saturday, now we need Stanford to beat ND and then lose in the Pac10 title game or to some other "Wazzu".

Stranger things can of course happen, Ole Miss can win out including the SEC CCG, blocking out the SEC; tOSU can beat MSU and UM can beat tOSU, but would then need to lose to a 1 loss Iowa team in the CCG (who has not loss yet). FSU could beat Clemson but then does FSU go in over us? Etc.

We need a CCG. Houston and Memphis seem like the best options - you pick up the 4th and 23rd largest markets in the country (and believe it or not but Memphis is the 3rd largest city in the Southeast, excl. TX). I don't care if this year is an aberration for both of those schools - we need a CCG.

Reactions: Oklabama
a-chance.gif

I think a 1 loss ou team goes over a 1 loss bama team with our resume.

A one loss Bama team will be in almost automatically. They will have won out (LSU, Auburn, Charleston Southern) and won the SEC Championship game.
They will be in, under this scenario.

There are 11 unbeaten teams at present. I believe there were 3 unbeaten teams at this point last year. If we win out and the committee places much worth on the FPI then we have a chance. 3 of our remaining 4 games are against teams rated in the top 12. We should be crowned the B12 Champs especially if Baylor and TCU fall to OSU. We will have slain 3 of the 11 unbeaten. That should weigh heavy on football minds. Let's assume LSU and Florida fall as well. Let's hope Clemson falls to FSU this weekend and Ohio State fall to Michigan and beats Mich State. Failing all of this I hope we go to Fiesta Bowl......close to home.

The only way OU makes the playoffs is to win out. Wins over 2 top 10 ranked teams and a win over a top 15, all consecutive.....should be a shoe in. I think a 1 loss ou team goes over a 1 loss bama team with our resume.

No way a 1 loss OU goes in over a 1 loss SEC team... that just isnt going to happen. ESPN will make sure of that.

Reactions: Lost Chickasaw
Three things I've already heard this year that will hinder us, even if we win out....

1. We lost to Texas
2. We don't play defense in the Big XII like the rest of the country
3. We don't have a championship game

I think it would take one of us going completely undefeated to make it in. If we do win out, it might help, but today's rankings already prove it'll be an uphill battle.

Reactions: ESPiam
No way a 1 loss OU goes in over a 1 loss SEC team... that just isnt going to happen. ESPN will make sure of that.

Don't forget their cheerleader CBS as well. They just posted a wonderful story on how Bama players are elated to be at #4 saying they were jumping up and down like a midmajor making it into March Madness! smh!

Do you think the Sooners have a chance to get to the final four?

No hope; no way. And a 1 loss Bama team most likely gets in over a 1 loss OU team (I fear - not saying its right - but the perception of the SEC is greater than the Big 12.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT