ADVERTISEMENT

Pledger will be a solid back for OU.....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
and when Stevenson returns, there will be a good RB corps with Major and Pledger.
OU won this game by holding Texas to 17 first half points. I think Grinch is slowly......slowly....building a decent defense.
Had early mistakes not been made, OU would have won in regulation time.

When we have all hands on deck, he can be a contributor, but he can't be a number one running back. He's too small and is a poor pass blocker.
Griffin was small too (5'6" 187 lbs) and became a good blocker and pass receiver. Pledger (5'9" 192lbs) can be too with more playing time, which he will be getting plenty of from now on. Who cares if he's not a number one back ?

It's not about blocking it's about his ability to hold up physically. McGowan is the best of the 3 but when Stevenson gets back he will get lots of carries.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Griffin was small too (5'6" 187 lbs) and became a good blocker and pass receiver. Pledger (5'9" 192lbs) can be too with more playing time, which he will be getting plenty of from now on. Who cares if he's not a number one back ?

Hey some of the best RB's of all time were on the small side...Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Tomlinson, Warrick Dunn, etc. He is plenty big enough to be a good RB.

Emmitt was totally different from Barry Sanders who often came out of the game on third an long, because he was a lousy pass blocker, and not a great receiver.

Emmitt was a rock. He always stopped the blitzer in his tracks. It's a big reason why the offense was so great. He never had to leave the field for certain down and distance. He's the most underrated running back ever.

Griffin wasn't Emmitt. But he was more in that mode. Underrated strength. Pretty decent pass blocker in play action mode. But on sure passing downs, he came out some. Pledger needs a lot of weight room work before he'll be passable as a pass blocker. Go back and look at his feeble attempts to block Iowa State linebackers. It wasn't pretty.

Bomber, there is a reason why Emmitt is the only running back on your list who won a Super Bowl as a starter. The others were poor pass blockers at best. Tampa won their SB a year after Dunn moved to Atlanta. Pass blocking is a very big part of the position requirements. I know we're in a new RB coach era, but the former coach said that you couldn't play if you couldn't pass block, Unfortunately, when you only have two healthy ones, you have to take whatever deficiencies they have and figure it out.

Emmitt was totally different from Barry Sanders who often came out of the game on third an long, because he was a lousy pass blocker, and not a great receiver.

Emmitt was a rock. He always stopped the blitzer in his tracks. It's a big reason why the offense was so great. He never had to leave the field for certain down and distance. He's the most underrated running back ever.

Griffin wasn't Emmitt. But he was more in that mode. Underrated strength. Pretty decent pass blocker in play action mode. But on sure passing downs, he came out some. Pledger needs a lot of weight room work before he'll be passable as a pass blocker. Go back and look at his feeble attempts to block Iowa State linebackers. It wasn't pretty.

Bomber, there is a reason why Emmitt is the only running back on your list who won a Super Bowl as a starter. The others were poor pass blockers at best. Tampa won their SB a year after Dunn moved to Atlanta. Pass blocking is a very big part of the position requirements. I know we're in a new RB coach era, but the former coach said that you couldn't play if you couldn't pass block, Unfortunately, when you only have two healthy ones, you have to take whatever deficiencies they have and figure it out.
There is nothing underrated about Emmitt Smith. He played in a Hall of Fame offense.

Who are you suggesting went in the game for Q on some “sure passing downs”? I don’t recall that at all.

Are you alive? Nobody talks about Emmitt. Kids have no idea who Emmitt Smith is/was. They all know Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton... Q did come out some on sure passing downs. You're an idiot if you didn't recognize that. And it had nothing to do with ineptitude of Q. It was more of, everyone knows we're passing, why have your best back on the scene and ready to risk injury.

It's a simple equation. Just go away, idiots.
What is wrong with you?

Reactions: EagleZipperHero
Night is great. OU beat Texas. I might have been extra sensitive to payboard members, because they've had a thing about poking their heads in over here lately and intentionally tossing it up. If you're not of that mold, I apologize.
I just registered for the site today.

I see that. That's why I apologized. My bad, BlackUnicorn. I appreciate you posting. I want nothing more than more posters.

Reactions: iasooner1
Griffin was a great 3rd down back. Works would get a handful of snaps per game for certain plays. But when they needed pass pro, it was Griffin on the field.

There is nothing underrated about Emmitt Smith. He played in a Hall of Fame offense.

Who are you suggesting went in the game for Q on some “sure passing downs”? I don’t recall that at all.
Remember beating Bama in Norman?

Ive heard repeated claims that Emmitt wasn't great. That he just played behind an awesome offensive line.

Yet the line was average when he sat two games, holding out after the first Super Bowl win.

Last edited:
Reactions: newnasty

I could have listed many other RB's who were on the short or small side. Point is that you don't have to be 6' 220 to be a great player or an every down kinda back. Pledger is plenty big enough

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Who so far, sucks as a pass blocker.

Emmitt was the first ever rushing title rb, who won a Super Bowl that season. You could name a bunch of smaller running backs who are hall of famers. But the only champions were stout guys who could pass block.

Rocky Blier wasn't big. But he didn't start because he was an elusive player. He was a lunch pail guy who could pass and run block. Their run threat was Franco.

Champions don't have every down backs in the Gale Sayers mod. They have rb's who do well everything the position requires.

Last edited:

Emmitt was the first ever rushing title rb, who won a Super Bowl that season. You could name a bunch of smaller running backs who are hall of famers. But the only champions were stout guys who could pass block.

Rocky Blier wasn't big. But he didn't start because he was an elusive player. He was a lunch pail guy who could pass and run block. Their run threat was Franco.

Champions don't have every down backs in the Gale Sayers mod. They have rb's who do well everything the position requires.

He may or may not be a good pass blocker, but that has nothing to do with his size. Many big backs have also not been good blockers.

Pledger has gotten quite a few snaps in *checks notes* exactly 3 games thus far. He also didn't get the benefit of spring practice being in the 1 spot and fall camp was just weird. He doesn't have the lower body that Q had, but that doesn’t mean he isn't going to develop in the blocking role.

He showed up in this game after some criticism. If he stacks up games like this back to back, he has received good coaching and he is all in. Shorthorns D not even equal to TCU’s, so the next game will be a good measure. He does get props for being better than expected.

Reactions: iasooner1
Got to watch Camar Wheaton last night. I have now seen him twice this year and I am not impressed. He doesnt block anyone, and goes down on first contact way to easy. He didnt play the last 6 minutes. He is not 5 star talent. Hope hes not the only RB Murray is bringing in.

Wheaton is really the only RB I find that's interested in OU. Rated the top player and running back in Texas and the 7th rated recruit nationwide, Wheaton just may be able to help win games at the college level.
L.J. Johnson from Cypress Texas is still undecided but is reported to be a Texas lean.
Wheaton's Lakeview team went 6-5 in 2019, 5-4 in 2018 and is 2-1 this season, so it may indicate that Wheaton does not have a strong supporting cast....and last Friday's 24-10 loss in which he ran 22 times for only 79 yards may reflect this.....and him not playing in the last six minutes and going down "way too easy" may have been injury related.
So I'm not going to tip off the coaches at OU, LSU or Alabama just yet.

Wheaton is really the only RB I find that's interested in OU. Rated the top player and running back in Texas and the 7th rated recruit nationwide, Wheaton just may be able to help win games at the college level.
L.J. Johnson from Cypress Texas is still undecided but is reported to be a Texas lean.
Wheaton's Lakeview team went 6-5 in 2019, 5-4 in 2018 and is 2-1 this season, so it may indicate that Wheaton does not have a strong supporting cast....and last Friday's 24-10 loss in which he ran 22 times for only 79 yards may reflect this.....and him not playing in the last six minutes and going down "way too easy" may have been injury related.
So I'm not going to tip off the coaches at OU, LSU or Alabama just yet.
There is a kid up north. I think he’s their plan B. Michigan lean i believe

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT