ADVERTISEMENT

Please someone with knowledge answer these questions...

sooner_steamroll

Sooner starter
Oct 28, 2003
I posted some of this earlier, but have since had time to go back and re-watch Tulsa's scoring drives...

1.) It makes absolutely no sense to me to give a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 5 (or anything less than 3rd and 10+)... it seems to me like you'd want to give your edge rushers a BIT of time to get up the field and at least throw the QB off balance, but our D-line and edge rushers had none of that today because of scheme (at least to my eyes). I'm fully aware we were just trying not to get beat and that we started a true freshman in place of JorDERP Thomas, but it seems to me a wiser philosophy is to make them beat us deep rather than nickel and diming us the entire way down the field; lower percentage throws.

2.) Where were the blitz looks today? I think it's dumb to blitz every single play, but the looks weren't even there today for the most part. Occasionally, he'd have 5 or 6 guys at the line and drop 1 of them back into coverage, but it seemed pretty easy to tell who was rushing. And if my fat butt can tell from sitting on the couch, it's certainly much easier for the QB and OL to figure it out.

3.) Bracket coverage? PJ got ripped apart today... but Mike did absolutely NOTHING to help. Sanchez wasn't perfect, but he was at least solid today; seems like we could've afforded to bring a safety over to help the guy who was beaten worse than a racist sandwich at Pickleman's.

From everything I've studied and gathered from talking to other coaches in the past, the best defenses disrupt rhythm. And when you're going against an offense like Baylor's that lives and dies by rhythm, it seems like the wisest thing to do would be to get physical and force them to beat you that way. Again... I know we'd get beat occasionally, but I have a hard time believing with Striker and Bond rushing the edges, that the QB would be able to be accurate on very many of those throws.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.