ADVERTISEMENT

Pleasant Surprises this year

Chuuuuck

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2013
Let's hear what you all think is your pleasant surprise for the year. Whether it being something unexpected or something that has just worked better than you might of thought.

Here are a few of mine;

1) Will Johnson - This guy is just a So. now that he is with us. Nice to see we have a tackling corner with TCU and Baylor coming up. I have seen that guy twice this year already fight through blockers out wide and stop a WR quick screen immediately. That is a huge play that puts these teams behind the chains and changes the dynamic of the entire drive. Also something we haven't had much of previously.

2) Dakota Austin - A Jr this year, so we still get him as quality depth next year. I don't think anyone expected much of him anymore, but he has stepped in and covered really well. He was left on an island a lot Saturday in Sanchez's spot and he didn't get abused. Even pulled in that interception on a great play where he became the WR like he is taught to do.

3) Kickoff coverage - Most people take it for granted, and we always had. But I don't anymore. After a year or two ago when we got abused for several TDs on kickoffs, it is nice to watch our team kickoff the ball while we hold our finger in the air yelling "Oooooooooo" and not have to be truly worried that the other team is going all the way with it.

4) FG kicking - It is great knowing we have a true freshmen back there that can kick the next 3 seasons after this and be as reliable as anyone in the country potentially. That was a great pickup from our staff last year. If he lives up to what we think he can, and our offense gets better under Riley like it looks like it will now, he could end up near the top of OU all time scoring record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.