ADVERTISEMENT

Playing a version of Boomer Sooner right up to the snap...

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I'm talking about where the band holds a note for several seconds before the opposing team snaps the ball. I don't have any idea how it sounds in the stadium, but it's darn annoying on TV. I have no idea why a television broadcast picks the sound up so well. I'm trying to listen to the announcers.

Okay, I understand we want to disrupt the other team, but can't we play something different at times? I suggest "Tip toe through the Tulips" because that's just as annoying.

So give me some answers here. Can you hear it in the stadium? Have you noticed the same thing on the TV broadcasts and is this the first year we have done this? I don't remember it in the past......

I've never seen a TV broadcast or heard a radio broadcast that communicates how loud a stadium can get. Our ears don't have automatic level control like sound boards do. Our ears peg-out when it gets loud. Probably the reason the band is heard is because the guy holding the big ear (big clear dish) is aiming it right across the field toward the band.

In 1998, I went to Fort Worth to watch the Sooners get shut out by TCU for 58 minutes. Then OU scored bang-bang, 10 points in two minutes to win the game. There were 28,000 Sooner fans there that night. And it was extra LOUD. When I got home to listen to the recorded radio broadcast, you could hardly hear it.

I've never seen a TV broadcast or heard a radio broadcast that communicates how loud a stadium can get. Our ears don't have automatic level control like sound boards do. Our ears peg-out when it gets loud. Probably the reason the band is heard is because the guy holding the big ear (big clear dish) is aiming it right across the field toward the band.

In 1998, I went to Fort Worth to watch the Sooners get shut out by TCU for 58 minutes. Then OU scored bang-bang, 10 points in two minutes to win the game. There were 28,000 Sooner fans there that night. And it was extra LOUD. When I got home to listen to the recorded radio broadcast, you could hardly hear it.

Well the Tennessee game was loud on TV....Maybe the loudest I've ever heard on TV.

Well the Tennessee game was loud on TV....Maybe the loudest I've ever heard on TV.

It was deafening in person!!!

I guess since everyone's playing some kind of music between plays, before kickoffs, etc., I guess it's okay. It's not going away, so better get used to it. What I think is lame are the "tolling bells" when it's third and long. Lame.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
What I think is lame are the "tolling bells" when it's third and long. Lame.

Once a game before an opponent's critical third down at Owen Field, they play a pretty funny Billy Sims video that has loud hip-hop playing and Billy jumping around basically telling people to get off their asses and get loud. That's not what he says, but it is what he means.

Yep, noticed what the OP is talking about. USC band similarly cuts off "Fight On" between plays at mid stanza, always at the same note. Is this some sort of college band trend?

Reactions: K2C Sooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT